NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley secondaries issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley secondaries issues
    Posted: July-10-2017 at 11:08pm
After some recent threads dealing with Holley secondaries and questions about how to tell if they're opening and how far they open, I thought I'd gather a little info today.

You can read about putting a paper clip on the secondary actuating rod to see if they're opening but a zip tie works better for me

Here are some pictures The top picture is the zip tie on the shaft with the secondaries closed. The second picture is after running at full throttle and the zip tie moved down on the shaft showing that the secondaries opened.

This engine is a 351 with GT40 P heads, Edelbrock Performer manifold and some mystery cam and it didn't draw enough air to make the secondaries open all the way. I took the carburetor off and manually moving the secondaries to the same position that was indicated by the zip tie showed that they went to about 85% open.

The third picture shows how far they went open

After that I ran it with the secondaries operational and then disconnected them and zip tied them shut to see how much performance was lost.

It lost 300 rpm and about 3 mph running on only the primaries and my butt dyno could feel an acceleration difference too.Not too big a difference, but if you're missing some speed and RPM it's one place to look and all it takes is a zip tie to verify they're opening and you shouldn't expect them to open fully on most 351's

So these numbers are representative of what happens on a good running 351on a Monday afternoon in July, yours could be slightly different depending on hulls, weight, elevation etc but it's something to refer to if you're having issues

And...............cut the zip tie off when you're done.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:05am
Can I use that trick on a m-600 quick fuel? I was about to start a post about what I could expect from a 351 commander as far as RPM's. 4300 is what I am getting now. Am I wrong to expect more?
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Can I use that trick on a m-600 quick fuel? I was about to start a post about what I could expect from a 351 commander as far as RPM's. 4300 is what I am getting now. Am I wrong to expect more?

The zip tie works on an M-600 Quick Fuel too.

Depends on what you have for a prop

I'd figure 4300 was too low if you have a 13X13

Is it running the same RPM's as the Holley did?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 10:00am
Yep Same as The holley but without fuel leaking all over! I remember a while back you posted part numbers for the springs (and the other consumables for that matter) on the advance mechanism but I cant find that post. After a little checking last night I found a broken spring floating around in distributer. Surprised at how well it ran with a locked advance of 39 degrees. What are typical timing specs for this motor? Thanks.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 10:02am
BTW it is a 13x13 prop
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 10:38am
Depending on the distributor, 6 to 10 degrees at idle and 34 to 36 max are good numbers.

What's the distributor, a Prestolite or maybe a Mallory.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:04pm
I'm guessing prestolite. how do I know for sure?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:14pm
It has the screws to hold down the rotor with the spring clips if that helps.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:58pm
Probably like the first picture in the Ski Dim link
If that's the case, it's probably the small spring that broke and the big one is still intact but looks like it does nothing?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 2:15pm
Probably looks like this under the points plate?

I might have a spring or two, I'll have to check

The picture is from page 6 of
this thread
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 2:26pm
Yep that's what it looks like and it is the small spring that broke. Both are going to be replaced. ;-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 2:28pm
Do you have a body for that raw water pump that is in your picture on the shelf too?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 2:32pm
I read and reread that thread because that is where I thought you posted all the part numbers for the replacement parts for that distributer. I may have been dreaming that in y sleep!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:08pm

Do you have a body for that raw water pump that is in your picture on the shelf too?

You'll have to ask Dave(Samudj01) about the pump, it's his picture. I know I don't have one.

The springs are next to impossible to find new these days. I might have something that would work for you.....maybe. Have to look
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:43pm

If you look under the "general" forum section on page 13 you will see a thread called "RWP". On page 2 of that thread you will see a pump that I made to replace the plastic Jabsco pump. The plastic bodies tend to break.    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:25pm
Duane. Can and would you be interested in fixing mine? Keno-I have made a complete mess of your thread-sorry.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:44pm

Duane. Can and would you be interested in fixing mine? Keno-I have made a complete mess of your thread-sorry.

Sure, PM me. Getting ready for Midwest Mini, kinda busy.   Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 11:13pm

Keno-I have made a complete mess of your thread-sorry.

Who cares?

It's gone the way of most threads and besides it's more fun this way. I think we were pretty successful at staying away from tubing and rear tow rings

If somebody is searching for Holley secondary info, they'll find it easy enough.

Check your PM's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic