Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What should my oil pressure be?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
first boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should my oil pressure be?
    Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:41pm
I have a 1993 SNOB PCM 5.8 Pro Boss and in preparation for the summer I just changed the oil and filter using Castrol Conventional 5 w 30. I put the boat in the water and the oil pressure gauge on the dash read 80 (max) virtually all of the time. After the engine is warmed up and goes to idle after 3000 rpm for a few minutes it goes down to indicate 70 or so but i thought it would be lower at idle after warming up.

I'm on the Colorado River so i run in 95-110 degree temperatures at all times. Should i pick a different oil?

I ordered a test kit so I'll try that this weekend to see if the gauge is accurate but I'm wondering what the proper pressure should be?

Thanks,

Steve
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:48pm
10psi for every 1000 rpm is the rule of thumb. Make sure you get a pressure gauge T'd next to the sender. With that thin of oil, your readings are high. The pressure bypass may need attention. Also, check on the ZDDP content of the Castrol. Why the 5-30 weight? Common would be 15-40 or 20-50

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 5:54pm
Best to confirm with a mechanical gauge and go from there. A lot of guys, including myself, run 20w50.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 9:32pm
Question does the 93 Pro Boss have a roller camshaft or a flat tappet camshaft. If it is a roller camshaft then it will not matter how much ZDDP the oil has in it. I run the 15-40 Amsoil is our boats it is good for either flat tappet camshaft or roller tappet camshaft.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 9:49pm
Only the vortec and later chevies are roller... all fords were flat tappet, all the way to the end of the run in 2002.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:26pm
70 is too high.
As advised, measure with a hard gauge plumbed into the oil pressure sender port.
May have faulty sender.
Also, unless the motor has been rebuilt with super-tight tolerances (like modern engines), then use 20w-50 non-synthetic oil.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:32pm
Steve,
Yes, how did you come up with running the 5-30 in the engine and why the Castrol?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 4:07am
The 10psi per 1,000 RPM rule goes back many years, I believe Smokey Yanuck coined that term, and it does take care of an engines needs but newer engines are built better and even oil pumps in 1970 had enough volume by 400 RPM to already start opening the by pass.
I like to have an engine tight enough to hold steady 40psi at idle and max at 60 psi wide open. If the tolerances inside are good this works well.
When I build one with .002 clearance on the Rods and Mains it generally holds the oil pressure right at the By-Pass rating cold and hot with a stock oil pump, not a High Volume pump.
Marine engines are generally a little loose compared to automotive so the idle oil pressure will be slightly lower due to more spill.
10 psi at idle will work but it also tells me something is very loose in the engine. Cam, Main or Rod Bearings.
It would help to know the history of this engine, did it always have high Oil Pressure or did someone rebuild it and install a high pressure oil pump.
With that high Oil pressure I would not go to a thicker oil but as mentioned make sure your oil has the additives necessary to protect your camshaft.
You can buy Diesel Oil at Walmart for $20 a gallon that has all the additives you need.
They have added a 10-30 Diesel oil in Delo Brand (Chevron) which used to only be available in 15-40W, this is good oil and would work. I use it because it has what the engine needs and is way less than the $8. per quart for the fancy oils.
If you switch to 20-50 you might have 100 PSI in this engine I would not do that.
I have seen engines with high oil pressure twist the oil pump drive shaft into spaghetti on a cold start and I saw one blow the spin on oil filter housing right off the engine.
Modern race engines are running thin oils, not the thick oils like were used in the 50's, 60's and 70's.   I know racers using "0" weight in race engines. They have found as much as 30 horsepower advantage using light weight oil.   These engines were clearanced for these light oils. You cant' just decide to start running the super light oils. My only point is the comments on needing 50 weight are old school and 20 years past current thoughts.
You do need ZDDP in these flat tappet engines as advised but you don't need heavy oil.
My 1978 Nautique 351W gave me 1,500 hours great service on 10-30 weight 30 years ago. It needed new heads at 1,100 hours but the lower end was still rocking when we sold it. Clean oil with ZDDP is important for survival.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:15pm
Thanks for the help guys.

I picked the 5 w 30 because i thought it would be better in the heat, do I have that backwards? Will thicker oil bring down the oil pressure or raise it up generally?

I've ordered a mechanical gauge so I'll start there. I definitely have some dash gauge issues - my voltage gauge says 9 when running but the multimeter says 14.2 - so I'm hopeful it could be a readout issue.

I will also check the ZDDP on the oil, I didn't pick the Castrol for any specific reason, it was one of the few conventional available with a name brand.

i bought the boat from the original owner, 1400 hours, never rebuilt.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:27pm
Steve,
Oil viscosity selection is really how the engine is built and how "tight" it is as mentioned above. Temperature doesn't come to play since marine engines these days have thermostats. (old marines did not!!) Also regarding temperature, keep in mind unlike a car, we have an unlimited supply of cooling available with the lakes we run. I do suggest getting some oil with some decent ZDDP levels to protect the flat tappet engine. I run 20-50 VR1 Valvolene in all my boat engines but there are other good oils as mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:28pm
Thicker oil will bring the pressure up.

I'd figure out if you have an indication problem first before deciding on oil but if you're thinking about a diesel oil, read this old thread and go to the PQIA website that's linked in that thread to figure out zinc content.

You can probably find your Castrol 5w-30 in the pasenger car motor oil section and figure out that the zinc levels are reduced for newer engines

You'll get plenty of oil opinions here on CCF.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 4:08pm
I wouldn't get too fizzed up about high-zinc oil. Yes, it's better for older motors with flat tappets, but yours has hydraulic flat tappets, not solid, mechanical ones.
The hydraulic lifters to provide a cushioning effect to minimize lifter-to-cam abuse.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 6:06pm
Sorry, there's just a ton of evidence at this point that the Ford flat tappet engines in our boats need zddp. I suppose it can be argued as it has in many threads on this site, but since there's no negative to using zinc why would anyone take the chance?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 6:40pm
Is 20-50 really necessary or better in a pretty stock flat tappet engine? VR1 is made in 10-30 as well and would seem like a good choice in places where the temps rarely exceed 90.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by first boat first boat wrote:

I've ordered a mechanical gauge so I'll start there. I definitely have some dash gauge issues - my voltage gauge says 9 when running but the multimeter says 14.2 - so I'm hopeful it could be a readout issue.

I'd venture to guess you have a ground issue at the dash if you're only showing 9 volts and the oil pressure pegs. Run a jumper ground from your gauge to the negative terminal on the battery and see what happens.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 6:47pm
I don't know if it's necessary, but I've run VR1 20W50 in my '63 V6 Buick, '98 GT-40, and '86 454 and none of them shows excessive oil pressure. In the '63 it helped keep pressure up at low power levels. I run them in pretty cold water/air at times and still no issues with excessive pressure. I really expect Steve to find out his gauge is off.

Steve, what oil filter did you use?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 8:17pm
I'll get that ground jumper going and see what i get as a reading.

Maybe i can return that oil pressure gauge...

thanks for all the tips on oil, I definitely wasn't looking for ZDDP.

For the filter I used Fram Ph8A.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 9:12pm
Hate to say it but the Fram filters are some of the worst on the market.   I would try a wix or a purolator pure on oil filter.

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 9:31pm
Flat Tappet lifters, mechanical or hydraulic both need the same zddp additive to survive.
Roller lifers are immune to this and since new cars mostly run roller lifters the zddp has been removed from modern oil standards.
The 351W marine engine ran flat tappet hydraulic lifters but absolutely needs protection or you can cause a cam lobe to go flat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 9:16pm
I finally got to check this stuff out.

The minute I pulled my dash out to get to the gauges the voltage gauge went to 12 so I'm thinking the ground was a little jacked up.

The oil pressure remained at 80 indicated and when I jumped the ground it did drop to about 70 indicated.

I used the external gauge to test it and it indicated 40-60 between idle and about 3500 rpm - so I'm thinking I'm fine on oil pressure? perhaps it's the indicator or the gauge?

Now back to the oil debate, it seems that ZDDP is needed - what weight would you recommend now in the high ambient temperatures where I'm running?

and oil filter now that 1 says Fram stinks?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Oil viscosity selection is really how the engine is built and how "tight" it is as mentioned above. Temperature doesn't come to play since marine engines these days have thermostats. (old marines did not!!) Also regarding temperature, keep in mind unlike a car, we have an unlimited supply of cooling available with the lakes we run. I do suggest getting some oil with some decent ZDDP levels to protect the flat tappet engine. I run 20-50 VR1 Valvolene in all my boat engines but there are other good oils as mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 11:12pm
I know a lot of people here do not like synthetics. But I like Amsoil they make a real good 15-40 Marine oil . One added plus with this oil it is a mil spec rust preventative for when you have the boat just laid up. It is also a diesel oil. They also make a real good oil filter the one you would need is a EAO-15. I have been running these oils for years with awesome results. Hope this helps. Some people think that it is a waste of money, but I have many motors with high hours that run strong as new.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 11:06am
I'm not following adding a ground to the dash gauge. I thought the ground was at the engine sensor.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by first boat first boat wrote:

I'm thinking the ground was a little jacked up.

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I'm not following adding a ground to the dash gauge. I thought the ground was at the engine sensor.

Correct. The ground source is the engine block. The only reason there's a ground on the gauge is for illumination.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic