Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut bearing Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut bearing Removal
    Posted: April-28-2017 at 7:02pm
Well it is time to R&R the strut bearing in my 1965 SN now that the engine and drive shaft are out. I have viewed all the videos and talked to some very knowledgeable people but I'm still concerned about the two set screws that are on the port side of the strut. They are slotted for removal with a flat blade screw driver. I have carefully attempted to turn them out but without success. Unlike other set screws that use an allen wrench, these slotted set screws are going to be very fragile. Any great ideas out there? I am the original owner of the SN, hull #1405 purchase in Aug 1965 directly from CC in Orlando.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 7:08pm
Drill the existing out or if you can reach them with a die grinder, grind off the ends where they protrude into the cutlass bore. Then drill and tap the strut for new set screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 7:26pm
Bill,
One more thought is to cut the cutlass bearing out of the strut and then try to remove the set screws. Removing the cutlass may relieve the pressure on the screws enough that they can be removed. Also use the tried and true 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic trans fluid) as a penetrating oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2017 at 8:40pm
Bill,
I just took a look at your diary entry. Very interesting to say the least. Did you ever confirm what the problem was with the water getting in the oil? Was it a cracked head? You also mention your first boat being a plywood Mustang with a V6. Could you be mistaken on the model? Fill us in when you get a chance. Thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 1:29pm
I JUST removed 2 sets of cutlass set screws that had no chance of coming out naturally. In both cases, I drilled the center out of the screw using a smaller diameter bit than the threads. Next (and I can't believe this worked) I actually used an easy out on a tap handle and was able to SLOWLY back them out. A little spray of kroil or ATF/acetone wouldn't hurt either. I was able to keep the strut threads in tact and even bring the old set screw to the hardware store to match. I got all 4 (2 struts) screws out without a problem.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic