NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CommuterRestore

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1955 CommuterRestore
    Posted: February-20-2017 at 9:55pm
While in the Hurricane thread last week I alluded to a project that's been keeping me busy for a while so I thought it was about time I shared what's been happening down at the farm for the last 2 winters.

Todd and Renee Weitekamp have talked about owning a wood boat for as long as I've known them and it was starting to sound less like talk and more like "lets find one". They ended up settling on one that Billy Sutton had in his lean to that was not going anywhere soon. Billy sent pictures, they looked too good to be true. Plus this boat was titled as a 56 but it was clear to me that it was a 55, a long lost anniversary boat cousin to the Hurricane and the Hurricane was lonely. I thought what a pair these 2 boats will be running side by side someday. So off to Louisianna we went.

14 hours later I'm thinking "Does every boat purchase start the same way?, WTH Well we later learned that the pictures weren't exactly current, I mean it looked that good at one time but it was in need of some help now. Main issue we knew going in was that the deck would have to be replaced. Not that big of a job Todd, I'll be glad to help. Then we'll refinish the sides and go boating. What we didn't expect was the condition of the sides, they would need major attention and at minimum would need to be refastened.

In the end we decided to take the project home, see it's already no longer a boat, it was a Project now. And it was getting nicknames like "splinter" and eventually would become known as "Hairball". First impressions can be brutal but underneath she was a good boat and so it began....Again

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:03pm
So we dragged her home over a couple day trip, losing the skins on a tire half way home but we made it.

She's a great 20 footer but the old side planking on the boat had dried so much there was in some cases more than an 1/8" space between the planking, it looked terrible and certainly couldn't be filled. Over dinner that night we decided we'd pull the old planking off, clean and refit it all back together then install a wider rubrail at the top to cover any remaining space. I read about that on the internets somewhere so it must work!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:10pm
So over the next few months we striped the boat and removed all the planking. Not really finding any major surprises we continued executing our plan, screw by screw, plank by plank. we striped and cleaned each plank.   Plugged holes and prepped the boat for refastening.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:15pm
Been waiting for you to start another project Alan. Is that the AMC 327? Still working my way towards starting the Starflite. Love the determination folks you have.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:23pm
We worked on the boat for a few months last winter and started back with a vengeance this November. Since then we've gotten the sides reinstalled, fitted and installed new transom boards and fitted and installed an entire new deck. Renee became my installation partner on the sides and deck, she handled every task I threw at her, an amazing and eager partner. Todd put a lot of time in doing mechanical work, rebuilding the trailer and installing new knee braces, He was our go to CPES man, think maybe we'll call him TPES.

So here she is with the old side planking reinstalled and getting her new transom.

We also got a visit one Saturday from Swanny and Brian, Huge help with getting a lot of the new knees cut and fitted. There was a lot of wood flying with 5 of us on the boat that day

Did you catch that they wore their CCfan gear, class acts these guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:30pm
Moving right along, the last month has been getting the deck installed. That was a bit intricate but turned out pretty good.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:36pm
And this is where she sits now, we're just about done with wood working, shes been completely faired in and sanded. The three of us spent 2 full days grinding and longboarding every inch of that hull. I personally don't think it could have come out any better.

we took off as much wood as we hung
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:38pm
Last step was to get the entire boat bleached, She looks good even if that is just water. I haven't seen her since she dried but Renee says she's nice and bright. Hopefully she will get some stain this weekend.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:17pm
Incredible. Wow!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:27pm
I was wondering what you were working on. It's been too quiet! Another wonderboat.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:38pm
Alan. I have always wanted a wood boat as well. I think if you help me..........In all seriousness, you are a fine craftsman and it a real treat to be able to see all the hard work come together and look so awesome. Thanks for documenting and sharing the stories along the way. Keep up the ambitious projects!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:17am
And, yet another CC for the history books!! Fantastic to say the very least.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:23am
You are sly Alan. Are you planning on 327 power?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 1:05am
OMG...

makes me wanna buy a wood boat just so you'll come to my house and hang/work.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 1:24am
Check out Renee digging right in there too,way to go! Beautiful work
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 2:00am
Check out that flexibility too. My knees hurt looking at her.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 5:24am
I've been following it on FB... I was hoping it would get it's story posted here with lots of pictures (God knows we all crave pictures here).

Alan, Renee, Todd and others working on this beauty: ab-so-f*ckin'-lutely awesome!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 5:57am
Great work, is there any left over timber? You will have build a wooden kneeboard to match..Renee looks like a natural
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 6:53am
Very nice.
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 8:31am
Beautiful boat and some amazing work. Keep the pics coming.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:07am
Boat looks great, it takes lots of work to bring back the dead. Keep it up looking forward to pictures of her running on the lake.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:18am
Man is that sweet.. You all rocked that thing out. Nicely done. Will be stunning. Can't wait to see it out of the shop one day soon..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:26am
So quick answer on power for the time being will be a 6 cyl 140hp Gray marine.   I'm not sure how long Todd will be able to live with that but for now that's what it will get. This one is also getting a ski pylon so they can tow the kids around behind it.

This project has been in the fast lane because it's a true group effort. I show up on Saturdays but there's work happening during the week that make my days productive. Great teamwork and it has been a ton of fun.    Todd will probably jump in with more pictures once he sees this as he's the real cameraman.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:00am
Great story, Boat looks great, Alan. You could give up your day job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

power for the time being will be a 6 cyl 140hp Gray marine.   .

A few options per the 55 price sheet:

Keep it original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:10pm
It must be a 135 Gray then Pete, I haven't done much more than help pull the motor when it comes to mechanical stuff, That's Todd's realm with this one.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 2:05pm
Todd who??? All I see is everybody except Todd working, lol

Sure is coming along nicely, great work by all!!
Barely give him 1 summer before he is working on a new power plant, any diesel options for the little boats in 55', lol
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 3:33pm
Is he going to order a BoatMate for it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

All I see is everybody except Todd working, lol

Funny, that's exactly what I noticed when going through the pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Is he going to order a BoatMate for it?

Ha, I sense sarcasm? LOL
Came with a decent trailer that Todd had blasted and powder coated, put a new axle and skins on it and it's good to go.   See he's been working in the background. Us primadona woodworkers get all the glory but he's been at it hard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic