Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Ski Nautique (GT40) Fuel Pump Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DefectiveDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 Ski Nautique (GT40) Fuel Pump Issue
    Posted: September-18-2016 at 6:48pm
Hi all!

I have some quick questions regarding the fuel system on my GT40 equipped 2000 Ski Nautique. Earlier today my father and I were stranded on the lake when the boat stopped getting fuel.

After getting it back I found that the LPFP wasn't getting any power (I didn't think to check the HPFP before I "fixed" the issue). I started jiggering around with the relays and circuit breakers around the back of the engine on the driver's side. Strangely when I came back I found that the fuel pump had full power and the boat started right up.

The problem is that I have no idea what I did to fix the problem. Was it when I jiggled the relay cable? Was it when I tried to press all of the breaker buttons? I really don't know what did it and it didn't seem like the breakers were tripped, maybe the 15A breaker felt like it moved a little but it didn't move enough that I thought it had actually tripped.

Any ideas? Could the 15A breaker have been tripped even though it seemed like it didn't really move hardly at all when I pressed it? I really don't know how much those breakers are supposed to move anyway and I don't know how to manually trip them to get a reference. These breakers look sealed and appear to be red push buttons. If it was the breaker, is it likely my LPFP is going bad?

Could the relay be going bad?

Finally, does anyone know the part numbers for the fuel pump relays and the LPFP? First time poster and thanks in advance!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 8:26pm
I fear it might be impossible to tell. Since the boat is new to me I'm leaning towards doing some preventative maintenance and installing new:

low-pressure fuel pump
FCC fuel filter
fuel pump relay
Internal hose for the high-pressure fuel pump

Would anything else be prudent such as new breaker switches? Here's the current cart at planet nautique (not sure why the hose has no price but I plan to call them tomorrow before ordering):

Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 8:45pm
I had a nearly identical problem on a '97 SN with GT40 six years ago. Replaced the LPFP and replaced both of the big relays on the back of the engine (why not, while I was at it). I also ordered the filter and hose for the HP pump as well as the gasket, but IIRC I didn't touch that in the end. I also, upon consult with the folks at White Lake, ordered an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the LPFP. They suggested that EtOH and other additives in "modern" gasoline may cause degredation of the fuel system and potentially lead to a fuel pump auto shut-off.

Now, I don't think anybody here on the forums would take my advice in technical matters, but what I can say is that I haven't had any problems in the last 3 or 4 years since I made all those changes. Is sum, all of those parts are cheap and easy to replace yourself, so I think you are on the right path and I would recommend the addition of an inline filter.

Good Luck!
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 8:58pm
David,
Before you become a "parts thrower" randomly replacing parts, why not take a look at the poor mans GT40 diagnosis thread? It's one of the many threads with links in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 9:04pm
Haha, "parts thrower"! Guilty as charged Pete! Though, in my defense, I had friends coming to visit for a few days on the lake and was more desperate to solve the problem than diagnose the issue.

Pete is also correct that there is already a wealth of information on GT40s on this site, and elsewhere. But I think you'll probably be happy with the engine overall. We've had the boat now for 10 years and it has been dead reliable* (compared to my cars, certainly!).

*knock on wood
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:14pm
Thanks Pete and Hansel. I'm a little lazy on the diagnostic side, haha. We have a 1 year old daughter which unfortunately doesn't leave me too much time to mess around with the boat. It seems faster to replace parts than do proper diagnostics. In my defense, I also want to get back on the water as fast as possible before winter comes regardless of the cost. :-)

However, I do know for a fact that the fuel system is the problem; I also checked the emergency kill switch to make sure it wasn't causing the problem. The boat never stopped cranking or sparking, but the fuel pressure in the FCC was a nice round 0 psi and neither of the pumps appeared to be working (no sound or vibration). Now that the boat is running again, I do plan to check the pressure at the Schrader valve to determine if the HPFP or fuel hose needs to be replaced.

Based on what I've read (now including the poor man's diagnosis thread) I do believe I am most likely dealing with a partial failure of the LPFP which may be causing a breaker trip. My main concern is to replace the LPFP before I get stranded again, but while I'm at it I will go ahead and replace the FCC filter (I don't know when (or if) it was last replaced). Also, the relay is cheap and takes almost no-time so I just throw it in and it will give me piece of mind that I didn't miss anything.

I will also check the HPFP fuel hose while I'm replacing the filter just to be sure and replace it if I deem it necessary. The inline fuel filter also looks cheap and maybe worth replacing just because. I will check to see if my boat has one first though. :-)

Hansel,

Where is the inline filter located? I haven't yet found any documentation on it. Thanks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by DefectiveDave DefectiveDave wrote:

Where is the inline filter located? I haven't yet found any documentation on it. Thanks!

If you have one, it would most likely be edit: under the removable piece of floor that sits behind the engine cover. You miiiiggghhht be able to get at it by laying down and facing the rear of the boat and reaching under the back of the open engine cover. Likely just easier to remove the motor box and floor piece though. I guess you'd have to remove the seat too to remove your floor piece.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:57pm
Hi Dave,

I don't know about 2000 model years, but '97s did not come with an inline fuel filter as I describe AFAIK. There is obviously one farther back near the tank like Brian says, but I wasn't going to mess with that, and in any case the idea came from the folks at White Lake who said they were getting numerous calls like mine on boats of my vintage and that they thought this would help. Not sure if it does, but the filter is cheap and cannot hurt (I assume). According to them filters like these were added by the factory maybe beginning in the mid-2000s? (anyone know) so I just bought one, cut the hose a ways back from the LPFP and inserted it. It could be if you go looking for one you may never find one, maybe someone with a 2000 model year can help us out here? But you are right that all of the items you are talking about are cheap. I remember that I spent about as much on the one-day shipping than I did on the parts themselves!

The nice thing about a LPFP failure is that it is easy to spot, since the pump makes a fair amount of noise/vibration (e.g. you can hear it prime when the key goes to "On"). I have two now, and after replacing the relays, etc. I know that both work. But having a backup never hurts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 11:56pm
So I measured the pressure at the Schrader valve at got 37 psi after priming it 3 times. Is that a nominal result? I think the spec is 40 psi, but that seems close to me. However, the fact that it took 3 primes worries me. Of course, it is possible it wasn't full to begin with.

Bri892001 and Hansel,

It doesn't appear as though my boat has the inline fuel filter, so that's a relief. I wasn't looking forward to taking out the engine cover, back seats, and floor. I'm slowly wittling down my shopping list. Thanks for your help regarding this component! :-)
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 11:23pm
I am no expert, but I think you are fine. My guess is that if the LPFP gives out the HPFP sucks it dry pretty quickly and then the engine starves for fuel. Every time my LPFP failed it took a few primes to pull from the tank before the pump would eject anything (probably not great for the pump, in retrospect...).

Also, this is my 10 year anniversary post :)

J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 5:22pm
So I narrowed down the problem to a bad LPFP or HPFP (though this seems less likely). I installed everything except the fuel pumps and the breaker tripped while I was priming the FCC. I will be installing the LPFP tomorrow.

Quick question regarding the FCC canister. This thing was a huge pain to get off and I bent the bracket attaching it to the engine, I'm guessing because someone over-tightened it. However, when I screwed it back on there was still maybe 1/8" of thread left showing once I considered it tight enough. This was hand tightened plus around 1/2 rotation with some channel locks. I did install the new o-ring. Is that normal?

I figured the real test would be how well it holds pressure and if any fuel leaked while priming. I didn't see any fuel leak, but it seemed to bleed 1 psi every 5 seconds or so after priming according to my fuel pressure gauge. Is that normal?

Thanks everyone!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 11:25pm
Dave the system should hold the pressure with only a 3 psi fall over 3 minutes. If not you may have either a faulty regulator or leaking injector.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefectiveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 11:32pm
Thanks lewy2001. I don't think it's an injector, though I don't know what regulator is. I actually tested the pressure before taking apart the FCC and it held pressure well then. So my guess is either:

- the FCC isn't sealed well
- my pressure gauge wasn't sealing well when I tested

I'm going to test again tomorrow assuming the weather holds up. I'm also taking a brass and steel brush to help clean out the threads, those looked pretty dirty on the FCC. Hopefully, that will help it seal more effectively if that is the problem.
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Dave the system should hold the pressure with only a 3 psi fall over 3 minutes. If not you may have either a faulty regulator or leaking injector.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I just have a question about the fuel pressure hold test you mention Lewy.

If I run the boat at idle in the driveway it’s right around 32 psi. If I shut the engine down and let it sit it definitely holds pressure for three minutes. At three minutes it may be dropped to 31.

However, if I key cycle the pumps (engine off) to pump the pressure up to about 37 (max I get), and then do a three minute test, It drops about 4 to 5 psi. So it seems that it doesn’t pass the test at the higher pressure but does pass the test at the lower pressure. Is that bad?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 9:08pm
It sounds to me like you have leaking injector(s).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 11:10pm
Leaking somewhere, could also be the pressure regulator leaking.

Not sure where the anti drainback valve is on these boats but there is a connector hose inside your Fuel Pump and those are known to fail also.   It can be replaced without needing a new pump.   If the anti drainback is in the pump that hose might come into play also.
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 11:17pm
All replaced last summer:

Tube and clamp in FCC
Drain plug assembly in FCC
Fuel regulator

So I guess that just leaves the injectors. I’ve had a box of eight new ones sitting on the shelf for year. I just really don’t want to pull the intake Plenum and everything off. Is there anyway to do it without removing the intake Plenum? It just suck it up?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2023 at 6:41am
A curious person might wonder what the problem is that you're trying to troubleshoot  

He might also wonder if you're doing the key on engine off test per the directions in the manual or just turning the key on and letting the pumps run for a couple seconds till they shut off and watching pressure

He might also wonder what happens to your pressure if you let it sit for 3 more minutes, since in 3 minutes it gets down to 32ish just like your starting point for the test after running the engine.

Does it hang right in there and only drop a pound again. One pound in 3 minutes isn't a problem.

That's not exactly screaming leaky injectors or fuel pressure regulator or anything else

Signed, the curious one Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2023 at 1:12pm
That same curious person might grab his pressure gauge and do the same thing you did to give some numbers for comparison.

It was a 2000 model year gt40 engine that runs good and  has no fuel system related issues

Hook up the gauge, start the engine and let it idle..........31 psi

Turn it off and watch pressure for 3 minutes.......it dropped to maybe 30.5 psi

Wait another 3 minutes, still about 30.5 psi

The other part came after that.

Cycle the key a couple of times and pressure came up to 36psi

3 minutes later it was 32 psi

3 minutes after that it was 31psi

3 minutes later it was about 30.5 ish

Sounds a lot like your results

There must be a couple of other people in this thread with a gt40 that could do the same thing  Wink

Signed, the curious one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic