NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shower Pump alternatives

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shower Pump alternatives
    Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:31pm
one of the items that was not winterized when I bought my boat was the shower system.   Unfortunately, the failure point was the pressure switch on top of the pump.   When the water from the pump froze, the housing of the switch cracked.    I figured I could purchase another switch/housing and just reuse the pump, but apparently Heatercraft has changed pump designs and no longer sells parts for the pump I have .    Since we have had to use the BOAT acronym several times this season, I want to try and save some money on the pump if I can.   Does anyone have experience with the Seaflo brand?     Is there a reason I am overlooking to stay with the $130 OEM replacement pump? shower pump alternative?

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:49pm
Just buy a new pump. Heatercraft doesn't make the pump, it's made by Jabsco. I think the part number is 2100-737, Flojet series. I scored one on Ebay NIB for $35 last year.

Here's a knockoff that's pretty cheap and would probably work

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:50pm
I would certainly look on Amazon for a suitable replacement. Then when you winterize pump the water out. I have been doing this on my boats for 20 years and have not had any issues at all. Heater Craft isn't about to give you a good price for their stuff. I've replaced heater cores about 4 times in 20 years and have always procured them on the open market. Best of luck with the repair.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 7:20pm
Its just an Ag sprayer pump not sure this is the same model as yours mine is made by High Flo but you get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFPxpFC95z0
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:49pm
good to know.... I didn't think it was anything special, but wanted to check. I'll find one and save myself the extra Benjamin... oh wait, I already spent that on the damper plate today     I guess the good news is that each hour I put on the boat significantly reduces the cost per hour
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 10:40am
Kris The other thing was that I didn't like the way CC mounted the shower hose access. So what I did is add another port under the rear seat and made a simple manifold for the hot and cold water. Work's great easy to get to and adjust temp.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 1:47pm
That's cool!    I too am not really liking the engine cover access.   I think I will wait a bit for re-installing the shower and will see if I can modify in a similar way to your design.   I was thinking about adding hose to put the temp valves in the back under the seat, again, looks like I don't need to re-invent    I love seeing everyone's ideas! thanks for sharing.    

I also see your tank has the extra "sump" on the bottom of it!   do you pull the tank to do the rudder packing?   I ordered Gore-Tex packings on my last order as I'm really looking forward to being on the water and not having to do anything else for a while.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 1:52pm
The mid 90's factory shower installs I recall seeing had the mixing valve tucked under the (port?) gunnel, IIRC.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 2:04pm
I used some kind of ShurFlo pump, I think at the time what HeaterCraft was also using.

12-volt, on demand self priming. Basically same pump used for a sink in an RV.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 2:09pm
Gundriver - Where is your pump mounted?    seems like it would be on the yellow hose, maybe tucked behind the tank?
HW - I too looked at shurflo,   that's the newer model, and can be had for about $100 from the non-heatercraft suppliers.   

Tim - Do you have any photos?     Gunnel might be an interesting spot also, although I do like the hidden feature that Gun Driver is using.    Mine is currently hose clamped to the exhaust hose between the riser and the invertaflow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 2:16pm
I use a garden hose Y in the bilge near the tranny. I can access it from just opening the motorbox but never actually do make any adjustments.

My pump is above the tank, I've also put them beside the tank. Modern boats had them on the cradle under an exhaust manifold. I didn't feel the need to further cramp the engine compartment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The mid 90's factory shower installs I recall seeing had the mixing valve tucked under the (port?) gunnel, IIRC.

Damn dude your like a savant of CC's thats creepy but you are exactly right.
The original mixer was nothing more than a Y hose bib that you buy at home dumpo.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 4:25pm

Yep, my 94 has one of these mounted under the port gunnel ahead of the rear speaker:

The pump is under the motor box, bolted to the port side of the engine cradle.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 4:28pm
Mine has a bracket inside the engine compartment,   I don't mind the pump mounting location too much, just would prefer the controls to be outside of the motor box.    Having the motor box open, motor running with kids on the boat invites injury, so I am trying to consider the safety aspects while we are reworking things anyway.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Yep, my 94 has one of these mounted under the port gunnel ahead of the rear speaker:

The pump is under the motor box, bolted to the port side of the engine cradle.

^^^yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 4:32pm
Ha, I put the aquatik control IN the motorbox area last time. it doesn't actually get used that often...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 6:01pm
Maybe mine was broken and the PO just used the Y hose bib it was mounted below the rear speaker where the combing pad meets the floor.
Kris the pump mounts to the bracket under the motor box then the hoses run to where ever you want to mount the mixer valve. The pump turns on with a breaker on the dash so no reason to open the motor box to use the shower.
I like my set up as you can grab it, adjust temp, use it and put it away all from standing on the swim deck. Works great for warming up your wetsuit on cold days.
Kris the mixer is red/hot in blue/cold in. Yellow goes to the shower head.
Pump is on demand meaning when you turn off the shower the pressure switch shuts off the pump till you turn it on again switch senses pressure drop pump kicks on. No need to turn breaker on and off
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 4:43pm
So here is what I ordered:
SeaFlo Pump
I chose this one because it was ignition protected.   with the pump being under the engine cover, I want to ensure that should I have fumes in the bilge, I am not setting up an explosion risk.    The other thing I thought was good was that it was drinking water rated, not that I'll be drinking from it, but I don't want to poison anyone from the shower either

Thanks everyone for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic