Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'79 Mustang Won't Start -- Electrical Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BoyceByerly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoyceByerly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '79 Mustang Won't Start -- Electrical Issues
    Posted: July-11-2016 at 3:40pm
I've been trying to get my boat started for a couple weeks now, and am running out of ideas, other than taking it over to Whitelake Marine. But that would be declaring a defeat, so I'd love to figure it out myself.

The boat failed to start a couple weeks ago up on the lake; it sounded like a weak battery, and I didn't have anything to jump it with. After I got it home, I charged it up, and got NOTHING. Not even the blower would work. The battery was getting old anyway, so I replaced it with a brand new marine battery. Still nothing. I've gone over it, and the only thing I found that was 'wrong' was a blown fuse in the ignition switch and blower switch, which I replaced, and still, no joy.   (I figure the fuse in the ignition couldn't have been the initial problem, as it wouldn't have made any cranking attempt at all -- is this a clue?).

I get 12 volts voltage at the place the cables attach to the back of the motor, so I don't think it's the cables. Both the positive and negative cables have been replaced in the last year, I could understand the failure if there's something wrong with the starter motor, perhaps, but why won't ANYTHING work (blowers and the horn, for example?)    I've gone over everything electrical under the cowling, such as the distributor cap, starter motor, solenoids, battery cables, etc., and unscrewed the connection, and cleaned everything with steel wool and WD-40, but still, nothing.

One other factor: I had the boat reupholstered this spring, and the guy who did it knocked the throttle off kilter. By that, I mean that 'neutral' is no longer straight up, but at about 45 degrees backwards. It's awkward, and I intend to fix it -- but is that the problem? I read through everything I could find on the forum that might be related, and the only other ideas I have are replacing the ignition switch, or replacing the electrical blocks on the dash, but those would be guessing, and I might well hurt more than I helped there.

Thanks for any advice,

-Boyce
Boyce Byerly
Owner of a '79 Mustang
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 4:28pm
Get a VOM (volt,ohm,meter) and a test light. Both can be had at Harbor Freight. The test light looks like a lighted ice pick with a lead and alligator clip on the end. VOM's are nice because they will also check resistance. Right now you are searching for voltage, that is why I like the test light. For me they are faster than trying to read a meter when you are checking multiple places in odd positions
Start at the + Pos post on the battery. Then start going down stream in the wiring. The main breaker (40 amp red button on engine) should be hot on both sides. Starter solenoid will only be hot on one side until the start position of ignition switch is activated. Just keep advancing toward the Ignition switch. The wire from the red button feeds it. Really very simple to diagnose. Pete posted a wiring diagram within the last week. IF all the cables and connections are good then I tend to suspect the 40 amp breaker.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 5:59pm
I had frustrating starting issues in my '78 Southwind for awhile. It was very frustrating and left me stranded on the lake a few times at night. I would come back the next day, and it would start right up. Then, one day I noticed I bumped the dash with my knee and it shut off while running. Ah ha! I found the wiring in the ignition switch was not completely tight and when I wiggled the wires, it would start. I straightened them out and it hasn't given me an issue since.

I also had an issue with it turning over, but not firing up. That ended up being a points adjustment.

Just two more things to check anyway....GL!!
78 Correct Craft Southwind 20
BoyceByerly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoyceByerly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 5:58pm
Duane wins the trophy, and a six of his favorite if he's ever around NC. It was indeed the 40 Amp Breaker at the back of the engine, which I confess I'd forgotten about, if I ever knew it.

-Boyce
Boyce Byerly
Owner of a '79 Mustang
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 6:51pm
Similar issues last season-unplug your wire harness where it connects to the engine next to your circuit breaker panel-small wire brush and a spray of electrical cleaner works wonders
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic