Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat Troubles....every year

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 10:32pm
So I read about the old style thermostat and the new style.   Nautique Parts and Ski dim sell a thermostat that looks like this.

From what I understand the original thermostats which you can still get at NAPA look like this.

The first one I ever took out of the boat looked like this too. NP assured me that the new style was an upgrade and would work fine. (It did for a season)
Went down to NAPA and got one.   Drove the one hour back to the lake and it seemed to work perfectly.   I ran the boat pretty hard for quite a while at different RMPs and the temperature was pretty stable. It ran a touch warmer on my gauge than the other ones did when they were working but I could watch it fluctuate on the gauge about 5 degrees when it opened and closed. To me the way the old style flows water through makes more sense. Somewhere on another thread I remember them talking about these different styles of thermostat. So after 2 trips to the lake today (180 miles) I think I solved the problem. Hopefully it wont show back up next weekend.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 1:00am
This is the style PCM has used for quite awhile,I still have the one out of my Dads 87 and one out of a late 90's GT40.

Found this too, interesting reading. I would guess our systems are considered high flow I would think.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 11:25am
I don't agree with your original thermostat assessment. I have not pulled any of those out of PCM Fords. The PCM 454 has the bulky pass-through thermostat that sucks. It'd over $100 and does a ***************ty job of maintaining operating temperature. Their "fix" is a higher rated thermostat. Well that just doesn't seem right to me. Instead, we put a MerCruiser housing on the 454 and now use the normal looking, inexpensive 143 also commonly used in the Fords. Engine now runs right up to 160 and stays there, where before it would struggle to get to 120 idling, then climb to 170 and fall off immediately again with any amount of throttle.

The Ford PCM housing Gary showed has a natural pass through you don't need any funky thermostat.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 11:54am
mtrbtr

Like Hollywood said, that"new style" as you call it has been in PCM 351's since PCM has been around. That's back in the 70's.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 2:49pm
I could be wrong on the old style new style. I just read it on this forum somewhere a while back. Could be bad information. I can just say that I have had 4 high flow thermostats in the boat. So far 2 of them this year.   The boat runs very cool with no thermostat in it and I believe the circulation pump is working based on the test shown on the Ski dim site.   The NAPA $8 thermostat is working for me. Wish I knew why.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 2:57pm
I just replaced my stuck stat with a NP stat and it keeps my GT-40 at 160+\-5F. Only warms up if I let it heat soak by turning it off. Unlike pass car no electric fan for the radiator to cool it when stopping after a hard run, but it still only hits 200F for a few minutes. I'm very happy with the 160F thermostat. The old one, stuck upon was like yours without a stat--120F. Never had any running problems or fouling of plugs (probably because it gets run hard often enough on an occasional blast around our small lake).
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 3:15pm
Johnathan, did you ever get your temp issue figured out?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 5:23pm
Haven't had a chance to get back out, weather and other projects have prevented me from doing too much, but the NAPA one seems to be working currently. I called Nautique Parts and told them about my problems to see if they had any advice and they offered to send me a new PCM thermostat so I might try that one again.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 6:26pm
It would be interesting to boil both of them side by side & see which one opens 1st & by how much.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic