NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Group Buy: BI Pro X Series Rag top

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2016 at 10:20pm
Any update from Mike S. now that the season is over and winter is upon us?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 9:59pm
Ok if you are interested in a Bimini, you should have sent me your email address. I just sent an email to everyone that has confirmed their interest. Please check your email and RSVP if you are still interested. If you do not have an email in your inbox, I do not have your email and you are not on the list. Please send me a PM with your email ASAP.

THANKS!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 11:01pm
PM Sent. Thanks.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rgrimes007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgrimes007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2016 at 7:38pm
Any updates? Thanks. Richard
Richard Grimes
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 4:42pm
Ok, so after a number of conversations with Mike and his brother John, I learned a couple of things:
    1.) As I suspected the cost to do a "special run" is going to SIGNIFICANT. Mike never gave me a number but he hinted to a price point for these "Special Run Ragtops" probably more then $1500 each - when they would set up for a production run, they would do 100 or more just to get the cost down.
    2.) Barefoot International is doing VERY well. Good for them, but not so good for us. John, Mike's brother who runs the production side of the business, indicated that they are running at FULL+ Capacity (I assume this means over 100%) just to meet the current demand.

So what does that mean for our little project? Bad news. They will not have time to do a special run this year. Mike did indicate we could check back in about a year. I am willing to do that if you guys want, but I kind of get the sense that was Mike's way to say "No" without actually saying "No". I think he is concerned about making potential or current customers mad (the 12 or so of this group particularily) and I told him, we all understand that this would be a long shot and that if he had to say "No" everyone here would understand and would not hold it against Mike or BI.

So up to you guys... I can keep this email list alive. I will post the above info on the thread at CCF. Let me know if you are interested in waiting around another year.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 6:29pm
First off Steve I'd like to thank you for your time and hard work to get this project going. My thoughts were I'd be willing to go a thousand to get a new one with my color choice but 15 and the fact I need something before next summer puts me out. If he ever decides to do another run the fact he has in his mind that he needs to make a 100,there will be more than enough to go around for us 12. No hard feelings at all,I think all of us here understand. Thanks again Steve.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2016 at 10:55pm
Thanks Steve for heading this up. I would still like a solution for a "rag top" when I'm running the Fly High Pole. Ideas?

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 6:18am
Put a zipper opening in the bimini and run the fly hi through it. When not using the fly hi it can be zipped closed.
Done it on my bimini and John's. Works perfect.. Zipper is about a foot long and installed by any upholsterer.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 3:09pm
Thanks Steve for your efforts here. And yes, looks like I'll be drilling into my gel-coat to install a traditional Bimini top. -sigh-
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 4:21pm
Maybe one of you guy's could contact whomever makes the Z5 bimini to see if they would be interested in making something that could work. Their bimini is very similar in structure so a tweak to what they are already making should work, then perhaps just add a pylon clamp bracket similar to the super deluxe boom mount and then some straight bar up to the bimini.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 4:59pm
I agree with Quinner. There has to be someone else who can make something similar.

We have a custom cover/bimini guy in our area who would most likely be able to make a similar product but he's not cheap.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2016 at 7:22pm
After seeing the rather long-shot end result of Steve's attempt at getting a limited production run of these, I stopped by Rob Bemmen and explained the situation that we have. I asked him if there was any chance that he might be able to produce something similar. The only requirements I requested was that it needed to work and be kept under $1K. He knows he can make them but he needs some dimensions of the top itself and then can get me a price per unit.
I contacted Steve right away and we talked. He'll be able to get me the dimensions of his next weekend after he gets home from being on the road.

In case you're wondering, Rob is a skier so he understands what skiers want and need. He's a pretty damn good machinist too. You can check out his website. He fixed my engine cradle when it was buckled and he machined my rudder shaft and rudder port when I thought it was ruined. He does quality work so I have no doubt that if he says he can make it, it will be something done right. The stuff he did for me was miniscule compared to what he normally builds.

Once we find out if it's even a possibility for Rob to produce these, I'll let you guys know and we can look at what the next steps would be moving forward.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
SCErik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCErik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2016 at 9:56pm
I bought a Bemman boom last spring and absolutely love it! Strong and light - high quality. I'm still in if he is able to make the top!    

-Erik
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2016 at 11:39pm
Nice work Eddie! I'm in if Ron can get the job done!

My ski buddy and I talk about Ron frequently, sounds like he's an awesome guy. We talked about having him build a jump ramp for us in the next few years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgrimes007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2016 at 11:45pm
I'm in.
Richard Grimes
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 12:14pm
Thanks for finding the thread Pete.
If you guys are still trying Lane Bowers is trying to get these made again and has some guys from the Malibu crew (poor basterds) and so maybe that price can come down ....Anyway contact Lane Bowers.
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 1:39am
I joined the Malibu site back when Steve offered to contact Mike about reproducing them thinking the more people we could get wanting them the better. In doing so I was contacted by a member who had one that was not actively selling but would sell if I wanted it. Not wanting to be the guy that killed our deal with BI, I told him that if we didn't get anywhere with Steve's efforts that I'd get back to him. Turns out he was in Nashua Iowa so when I was home for Christmas my son and I made the trip out to pick it up. I didn't want to buy it sight unseen and was not sure how much it would cost to ship. Being the Christmas shipping rush did not want to chance it getting damaged either. Never been so cold in my life- it was -14 the whole trip! Met the guy,talked about 10 minutes checked out his nice Corvette styled Malibu turned around and headed home.spending around 10 hours on the road. Did not have much time to mess with it but even the color combo works out. Can't wait to put it on and try it out but not quite ready to put up with the cold temps yet

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Vanwinja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanwinja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 5:22pm
I have been searching for these ragtops for 2 years. I just came across this forum. I have a 1993 ski nautique 196. I want to get on the list! I need one of these BAD! I will pay cash money today for one! I have been searching forever
Vanwinja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanwinja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 5:24pm
I will buy that's top from you today!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgrimes007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 5:37pm
I am still interested if any progress has been made.....
Richard Grimes
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 6:21pm
As a prior follower of this thread, that ended up finding a Ragtop through a friend a few years ago, I thought I should offer mine up here first.

I bought the ragtop when we lived in Colorado and used to trailer the boat to the reservoir for a full day in hot sun. We moved back to Wisconsin last year and now the boat lives on a covered lift....so I'm not using the ragtop. My friend had it in a box unused for years until he sold it to me about 4 years ago.    It looks pretty much new with just a few rub spots on the blue - nothing compromising the fabric, just some marking from when it was folded up.

I am in north central Wisconsin and would really like to avoid trying to ship this thing.   I paid $800 for it and would like the same.

I don't always catch PM's so a text/call may be best - (six one two) 7 five zero - 2 four 2 five.

I just put it on the Malibu today and took pics. I'll try posting, but if it doesn't work text me and I'll send you some.

Thanks!
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2022 at 6:25pm
No luck on uploading, but here are the photos -

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6gg8800bla34z2l/AADemdcNG-1SDFw6etGKFauCa?dl=0
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2022 at 11:17am
Sold, thanks guys!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2022 at 10:40pm
Hope someone here that was looking for one got it!  When they come up you have to jump on them or they are gone that fast
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kbahus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbahus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2022 at 11:06am
Dang that was quick, would still love to get my hands on one.  I emailed Fly High last year to inquire if they had any parts laying around so I could try and fab one up, but no luck.  
SCErik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCErik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 3:25pm
Yes, someone on here got it - me! It is going on my 97 SNOB. I bought the boat with a tower, removed the tower, repaired the holes and restored to original. I couldn't drill into the gel again after all of that work. So the rag top has gone to a good home!
-Erik

1997 SNOB
Rich.Pasquale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich.Pasquale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 7:41pm
Seeking design specification for Fly High Pro X Series Ragtop bimini.
I was fortunate enough to chat with Benjamin at BFI and he forwarded me a set of .DRA
 file of the bimini. Unfortunately this file format is no longer supported by any CAD software.
So, I asked Andre at Dolphin software if he could recover any DCAD data and export it to .DWG.
Again, no success.
I talked with Steve at Bemman's and.... Let just say, that is not a promising option.

I have befriended a former high-end automotive restoration shop owner that has taken interest in this little project. Now, I just need to get a Fly High Pro X Series Ragtop bimini for him to duplicate.

My ask of the community here is, can I rent someones Fly High Pro X Series Ragtop bimini for the winter?
I will cover professional packing costs, shipping, significant security deposit and 4 month rental fee.
In return I will have .DWG files created and with Benjamin's blessing release then to the community.

Any help appreciated. 

Rich.Pasquale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich.Pasquale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 1:58am
Sadly as this winter comes to an end, we had no luck sourcing a Rag top to duplicate.
Offer is still out there for the community. We are even available to purchase if need.
Hoping to get more of these out to the group, but it may not be for another year.
No Regrets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Regrets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 10:56am
Hey Rich, are you still on the search for a Rag Top? I've also been searching for over a year now, if I end up finding one I'll let you know.

I'll probably just build one this winter based off of pictures if nothing comes up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgrimes007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 1:28pm
I built one  for myself.  
Richard Grimes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic