Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Exchanger for closed loop cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
PKB1023 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKB1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Exchanger for closed loop cooling
    Posted: May-18-2016 at 8:29pm
I am considering installing a heat exchanger on my 1980 sn to make it a closed loop cooling system. Any recommendations?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 10:11pm
Phil,
I suggest looking into one of the conversion kits. It will take a lot of the guess work out.
Why do you want to convert? I hope you find enough room for the tube in shell under the doghouse (engine box).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
PKB1023 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKB1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 11:14pm
Peter,

I am starting out on restoring my 1980 sn. If the block checks out good after all this time with the many years of not properly winterized and I did run it in saltwater for a year, I figured a closed loop system would protect it from here on out. I do not know all the pros and cons on closed loop systems. I welcome any thoughts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 5:49am
Phil,
I suggest keeping it as is and original The cost and the added complexity isn't worth it. I can't even guess at the number of raw water cooled boats running out there and many even running in salt. If in salt, flushing is common and then new exhaust manifolds every 4 or 5 years depending on the run time is the norm for our smaller boats. New engines (or some old) running fresh water cooled (closed cooling) are using it primarily due to aluminum components and todays exhaust emission systems.

How about posting some pictures of the project? What's the plan and how far along are you? Any stringer work needed? Fill us in. We'd love to hear about it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:27am
I suggest looking into a kit. but for the most part your going to need.
all new hoses.
new thermostat housing probably, thermostat i'm running 260 if memory serves correctly.
block off plates for the manifolds and 4 gaskets. a handfull of 90 and straigh nipples. 1"
and of course the xchanger.

IF you plan on doing any salt water riding i wouldn't hesitate to convert. Its the difference between that block being rebuildable or not in the future. heads as well.
I highly recommend fresh water cooling the manifolds as well. most systems do this. You will never have to replace a manifold again. and the only thing that salt water would hit is the risers.
indmar, and mercruiser make a kit. I don't know if PCM sells one. They are around $1000 and to be honest. if you can buy a "kit" made for your application than i would spring for it rather than try and peice together a kit. especially used stuff.

Just remember its one extra step when winterizing. you got to drain that xchanger or fill it with antifreeze.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:34am
my opinion between the two.
pros of closed loop.
pro is winterizing you only have to worry about the exhaust and xchanger.
you'll never crack a head or block.
longevity of the block and heads and parts.
engine temps stay a little more stable in my opinion. my open loop system fluctuates so much I feel bad for the cyl walls.
def not necessary for fresh water only use though.

pros of open loop,
cleaner looking and lighter weight.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:46am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

.I highly recommend fresh water cooling the manifolds as well.
-Tony

Tony,
And where would Phil find the space for the tube in shell under the dog house in his SN1980? Finding the space for just for the engine is going to be a issue but do you realize how many BTU's the manifolds add? The tube in shell get's even larger adding the manifold's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 11:37am
He might even have trouble finding room for the header tank under an 80 motor box too. I have thought about putting one in on the Shamrock,but even with it's larger motorbox it sure would make the engine that much harder to do anything with. I decided to put on the Hi Teks since the manifolds seem to be the weakest link of the whole system and I believe even with a closed system they still get saltwater in them anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 2:03pm
Make box bigger, not that hard.   I widened mine 2".   
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 2:40pm
I have a 94 ski nautique. I really have no experience with older nautiques like the 80's model referenced. I did install a closed cooling system from Skidim on my fresh water only new old boat when I bought it. It is now running in salt water twice a week all year round. The conversion kit from Skidim made the switch easy. It comes with the brackets for the heat exchanger and everything you will need. I was impressed with how well it all fit into the pre existing dimensions of the engine. I can't comment on how this will work on your boat. But Skidims customer service was excellent at answering my questions and helping me make the decision. I have attached some images that show how nicely the pieces fit around my engine. One of the nicest things about the closed cooling system is how my heater hasn't clogged up and gotten as bad as my buddies has. Yes, I still flush my risers and exhaust after every use. The system has worked very well and I haven't found it all that difficult to work around. YMMV

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Make box bigger, not that hard.   I widened mine 2".   

There you go again with the non original ideas!!!
Steve,
You must have missed this:
Originally posted by PKB1023 PKB1023 wrote:

I am starting out on restoring my 1980 sn. .

Notice he states "restore" and not "restomod"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 6:32pm
wouldn't fresh water cooling be considered resto-mod?
jp.
My system is hooked through the manifolds, the heat exchanger doesn't grow by much more than what nobrain posted. Mine sits behind the carb above the belhousing and gear.
I know it would fit in my 88 If i were to outfit it that way. I'm not familiar with 1980s doghouse though.
either way, if its going to be run in salt water i would still recommend looping the manifolds in there if it can be done. in salt water the manifolds and risers are on borrowed time after just a few seasons. some people stretch it further but its still advisable.
OldBrewer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBrewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 7:42pm
I think you should scrap the closed loop idea and look into flushing the engine after your salt water use. There are a number of salt dissolving products out there, some very expensive to use. or use white vinegar. A lot of cheep fertilizer sprayers out there to hook up to a garden hose for your engine flush.
PS don't forget to spray down the rest of the boat and trailer too, Salt don't only eat your engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

wouldn't fresh water cooling be considered resto-mod?

If the boat was being judged under ACBS guidelines, no under certain conditions. If the owner was using the boat in salt and no outward appearances with the engine hatch/dog house down, then there would not be a deduction in points. The other very big modification that doesn't allow a point deduction is safety. A good example is fusing that the boat didn't have when it came from the factory.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 11:01pm
I flush my exhaust with Salt Away after every use. But I've seen how much it rusts anyways when I pull, inspect and polish the mating surfaces on the manifolds and risers. I wanted to keep my very clean engine in good shape, be nice to my t stat, make my heater last and not have to use as much water when I flush to do a good job so a FWC system works for me. But I would wonder whether an original 80's engine would be in a condition where it would be worthwhile? I wouldn't bother with closed cooling on an engine that already showed internal signs of much scale or corrosion.

FWC does run with a hotter t stat in my year and the heater runs hotter :)
PKB1023 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKB1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 9:38pm
Thanks for all the information and the pics. I decide if the old engine will run< I will leave it alone. Maybe after the project is complete, I will look at starting off with a fresh block and then consider installing a kit.
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 2:25am
Anybody know of a kit for a 77’ mustang? I just recently moved from the lake to the Chesapeake bay and can’t stomach the thought of running an open system in the salt. Thanks in advance.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 12:02pm
I haven't seen a kit for that model. You will probably have to piece together a half system. Might start by looking at your engine to dog house spacing. There are a number of different orientations available (side mount, front mount and vertical). I was fortunate to buy a complete system with side mounts from Ski Dim for my 94 Nautique, but that is no longer available. You might try contacting Orca Marine Cooling Systems www.orcamarine.com  . They were very helpful when I installed a system on a very different brand of boat. 
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 1:10pm
Thank you. I’ll reach out to them. If the tank can be mounted remotely I have plenty of space in front of the motor down low. Would you happen to have some up close pictures of your system? Thanks again
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 9:22pm
Here's how they did it in '64-68 on a Buick 300

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 9:25pm
From the other side... She's a bit of a rough beauty, isn't she! Heart

2 Posts since I haven't posted in a while.  Wink
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 6:58am
Thank you. So the risers are still raw water cooled?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 8:20am
Yes - The coolant (water) for the exhauster manifolds and mixers dump into the lake. Don't want anti-freeze in that.. and yes, they still corrode in salt water.  It's not bad if you flush them every time. Plumb in a way to run the boat on a hose to flush the raw water pump, heat exchanger and manifolds.

This Revley Marinization setup was used as the '64 Buick 300 V8 engine is a hybrid aluminum and cast iron engine.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2023 at 8:22pm
Well, when it stops hailing and raining I would be happy to uncover the boat and take a few photos. Yep, a half system still runs salt water through the manifolds. I replace mine every 3-4 years. Probably overkill. But I don't even want the hassle of water in the engine. Still think the freshwater system was a worthwhile investment. My heater likes it?  :)  If you run much in saltwater it is a good investment. Salt Away flush every time I hit saltwater. When I change my manifolds they always look better than I would think, but I change them anyway.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 8:36pm
o/3pQsR5S][/url]

This is my fresh water system on a 94 ski nautique. Obviously you will not have the same installation on your Mustang. But the diagram and photos might help you as you seek to piece together a system. This kit came from Ski Dim and is NLA. Most of the parts are still available, but the freshwater thermostat is definitely NLA and occasionally shows up on Craigslist. The first image is a diagram of the system. The second shows the heat exchanger in place beside the engine. The kit had nice pre made brackets, but that doesn't seem like it would be a big issue on a pieced together system. The third image shows the expansion tank next to the manifold. The last image is of the not to be found freshwater thermostat (might be time to clean it up and repaint :) ). That part might have to be custom made for your application, but I really don't know. I do have installation instructions and a full parts list. If that might help you at all PM me your e mail address and I'll forward them to you. Really glad I run a closed cooling system, but it is not easy to source the necessary parts. Please post back if Orca Marine Cooling is of any assistance so anyone looking back at this thread can know where to spend their efforts. If all else fails I really think Salt Away has been an excellent flush. I also power spray my entire boat with it.
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 8:49pm
Thank you. This will help a ton. I will reach out to them and see what they say. So the water comes in at the raw water port thru the circulating pump then to the heat exchanger. Where does it exit? Did you include the manifolds and risers in the closed system and dump the sea water in the exhaust lines? Thanks again for the insight.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 10:46pm
The raw water, or in this case seawater, is drawn into the boat by the raw water pump. Not sure about a Mustang, but generally the raw water pump is located behind the engine. The raw water then flows to the heat exchanger and passes through a jacket. It cools the hot "fresh water" , or in my case antifreeze and water, and then flows to the individual manifolds where it cools the exhaust manifolds and is exhausted :)  The "fresh water", or antifreeze in the block recirculates through the circulation pump. In my boat this on the front of the block. It circulates through the block then cycles through the heat exchanger in a separate jacket from the raw water. This cools the fresh water and it just keeps recirculating. This is a half system. Yes, seawater still runs through the exhaust manifolds and out of the exhaust. Which is why I flush the system every time I hit saltwater.
There is a Y shown in the diagram after the heat exchanger and a different upper thermostat housing than that for raw water systems. Some of the freshwater gets diverted from going straight to the circulation pump and goes into the thermostat housing. I am guessing this makes sure enough coolant keeps flowing through the heat exchanger while the thermostat is closed? Someone smarter than me would have to tell you. 
All sorts of parts are available. The upper thermostat housing for a Mustang, I have no clue. Hopefully Orca might give you some advice or try Hardin Marine (they sell kits for Chevy's and some Fords). Getting the efficiency of the system right sounds difficult. 

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2023 at 11:12am
Just throwing it out their,
I am getting ready to put a heat exchanger off a 6.0 non cat with a number of hoses and mounting bracket up for sale along with the rest of the yearly accumulation of used equipment for spring clean out. it  mounts above the bell housing between the risors. it is not as bulky as some. I know i am a pretty ingenious fabricator and could make it work on just about anything PCM as well as look oem..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2023 at 2:40pm
Way cool FL  Inboards. 
And I seem to have mis spoke when I said my raw water pump is on the back of the engine. Definitely not so on my boat, but true on the last v drive I changed the impeller on. Oh well. The routing of the raw water is still the same. My raw water strainer is in back :)  Jetdriver, if you run a lot in salt water the effort to install closed cooling can be worth it, but otherwise being serious about flushing the cooling system is the next best thing. I don't always feel like doing it when I get home and it seems I support Salt Away big time (not cheap). But I do like riding 5 minutes from my front door :)
JetDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JetDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2023 at 2:59pm
Could you send some pictures please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic