Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 17>
Author
groovin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groovin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 2:35am
So awesome for you both! Congrats!

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 3:04am
Originally posted by btmachone btmachone wrote:

Hey Alan, not really a CC guy but joined to follow this restoration. Saw it shared on facebook. Definitely a dream find! Can't wait to see it brought back to life, and love the dedication to putting it back as close to original as possible. You've mentioned a couple of past restoration projects through the thread. Any chance you could share a little of your past work for those of us that are new to the page?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more! Wow!
welcome to the site Ben. be careful what you ask for, you can very quickly become one of us.

hurricane

Alan, just awesome. Can't wait for more.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 5:30am
Just read through the four pages of history, comments and so on...
Alan, nothing but respect for your continuous effort to save and preserve a piece of history. And also putting so much effort on sharing every step of this process with us!

I took me three mugs of coffee to read these four pages... Now off to my fourth

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Old skier Old skier wrote:

Great find. Art is the person that can get down to the true history of the Gen 1 Ski Nautiques. I have a 1964 SN 1378, and though it is not one of Leo's first boats, it is about as untouched survivor as you can get for a Gen 1 Correct Craft Ski Nautique. I am the second owner of the boat, and Art Cozier has helped me document it's history. I have the boat located up in Northern Wisconsin right now (in storage). Still has all the original panels, floor, and engine. If you need to look at it, during your restoration, I would make it available.

Wow beautiful boat Thank you
btmachone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmachone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:17am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

welcome to the site Ben. be careful what you ask for, you can very quickly become one of us.

hurricane

Alan, just awesome. Can't wait for more.

Wow! The transformation of the Hurricane is unreal! This is going to be exciting to watch.
Ben
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:56am
Numero Uno certainly could not have ended up in more capable hands and as a result will remain a piece of waterskiing history throughout most of our lifetimes, how great is that!!!
Congrats Alan & Dana :)

And how cool is it going to be when you take Bob and Leo for a spin down memory lane once she is done, truly will be a masters moment!!
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 12:16pm
Alan and Dana -congrats on the purchase; looks like a great boat to be restored, with a ton of history; it makes for a terrific story. I remember this being discussed at Greg's, and saw your eyes light up, while being polite and not stealing the boat from others who had noted an interest before you. I'm excited to see the journey you take her on.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
hondaprlud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondaprlud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 3:54pm
Wow! Very very cool find! Can't wait to see the followup pics.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 5:22pm
Alan, Congrats !! This is amazing ! cannot wait to follow your restoration
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 12:13am
Damn Allen I wish I would have known. I was at our condo in Hilton Head and had extra bedrooms or could have met and helped out.
Greg

86 BFN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 2:02am
Alan - I just ran across some files I had on my computer. I don't recall where I got them from, but thought they should be added to your collection here. Regarding the windshield mystery, below is a picture that I have not seen posted on the site yet. If you have records of the FL registration numbers, you might be able to match it to this boat

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 2:07am
I also found what must be the original Ad Sheet on the Ski Nautique from Glass Craft, notice that it doesn't even have a picture just an artists rendition. Wouldn't surprise me if Leo drew the picture himself. I also have the Price/Specification sheets. Interesting that you could order with Mahogany Deck Trim, I wonder if that was and entire Mahogany deck cap or just strips of Mahogany like we saw in the 80's (only with teak) on some of the CC boats. Anyway here are the other two files

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 10:12am
Great Add Steve, I don't have that one.   I do have a more detailed price list I'll scan and post.

Interesting in your photo another left hand drive with the single piece windshield and the price list states "wraparound Windshield"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 11:11am
The Mahogany deck panel option is interesting. I'm sure it was thought of due to the market that still thought boats should be made of wood. I also wonder if the idea was one that inspired the Paragon?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SeaSkiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSkiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 2:58pm
Hi there all. This is Paul Morris with the Higgins Classic Boat Assoc. This is certainly an interesting account of the very beginnings of a one of the giants of fiberglass specialized marine manufacturing - the Ski Boat & Ski Nautique.
A little history from the Higgins side of things that you might be able to draw parallels from. The one piece wraparound windshields on Higgins boats first appeared on their return to pleasure craft production after the end of the Korean war - 1956 mid year.
They used what ever the bean counters would approve. Generally it was early Taylor Made, some Kainer and some General Plastics. The 17' Sport Speedsters from this period
thru 1958 left the factory in NOLA with them shipped loose in the boat, all wrapped up, and dealer installed. In 1958 the Sports Speedster product was discontinued and the 18' Magnum was its replacement and had a huge cast brass and stainless 2 piece windshield.
The first fiberglass item that Higgins made (or contracted ) was the engine box and that took place as far as we can tell sometime in 1957.
The factory magazine ads and brochures first announced the Dearborn Interceptor as a factory option for the 1958 model year.
On Sports Speedster hulls when new, all had wood spray rails at the chine line that ran from the stem to about 2/3 of the way aft until about 1958 when they ran all the way to the transom.
I doubt that the early efforts in fiberglass hull molding would allow a spray rail to be molded on the hull and still be able to get it out of the mold. Later on with the advent of the split mold, yep on problem.
Attached is a nice picture of a Sports speedster of that period.
Cudo's Alan and Dana for again saving another important piece of marine history ! !
Cheers ! !
Paul      
Cheers!! Keep the tools sharp!
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 9:08pm
Alan,
How about some pics of it since you gave it a bath.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 10:05pm
Alan and Dana, I am soooooo glad you folks ended up with this one. I know it will turn out great. Just think, no steaming or bending any wood.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 11:28pm
This just gets better and better wow!
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2016 at 4:41am
I'm happy to see this getting posted all over the inter Web. I just found it posted on ballofspray.com
I'm so happy this boat has gone to the right guy for the job. Looking forward to another 48 page thread to follow, seriously ballofspray.com
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2016 at 11:06am
I saw a Glas Craft SN many years ago at the Miami Ski Club, where Leo was a member. It might have been one of his personal boats, I don't know because I had not yet met him at the time. The boat had wooden strips on the foredeck and some other step plate type trim in various places.

The '80s boats with the teak cap on the entire deck and windshield frame were called the "Paragon". I think we only ever built less than ten of them. It wasn't a great idea. When they got wet, the teak would swell and raise up in spots. Fortunately, when they dried, it would go back down. It was rumored that that a wealthy customer bought one and put it in his living room as a display.
"Art"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2016 at 11:25am
Alan, please print out flyers for Lee's ski school and hand them out at reunions! I couldn't have picked anyone better to own such a piece of CC history. Congrats!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2016 at 7:56pm
Probably a dumb question but where are the molds for say a barracuda, skylark american skier etc?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2016 at 9:37pm
The obsolete molds from CC are in the local landfill! Whenever a boat is no longer to be produced, the molds are disposed of. We used to truck them to the landfill and give the loader operator a few bucks to run over them and destroy them. When I say loader, I'm talking about a LOADER. The wheels are steel, about 8 ft. in diameter with huge metal spikes sticking out of the "tread" surface. They put a stop to that practice several years ago, so now we cut them up into small pieces and put them in the dumpster. I really was sad when I saw the last 2001 model (the 18' 6" boat) leave for the dump, because I had helped develop that hull.

It's a shame we can't keep one mold of each recent obsolete models, because when a boat is damaged in an accident, the great way to repair it is to grab a mold and lay up a very thin hull section from the area that was damaged, cut the damage out of the boat, and splice in the thin section, then build it up from the inside. Now you have to go find someone that will let you pull a mold from a section of their identical boat, make a thin mold, and follow the above procedure.

Storage space is expensive, so we just can't keep them.
"Art"
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 12:13am
Alan,
I have been away for a while.

Wow. What an amazing story. I am looking forward to seeing this story unfold and seeing the boat restored.

Wayne
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 9:49am
Way to go Alan,

As like everyone else, I can't wait to read and watch this project unfold,. What great find and the right person to find it!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 10:02am
Congratulations, Alan, you're well deserving of such a historical boat, We'll all be stuck to this thread for the next few years. It will be one thing getting behind the wheel of the very first Ski Nautique, it will be another thing skiing behind it. I'm guessing there's a bit of a rooster tail at 15 off. Will that boat have enough speed and power to pull a footer?....assuming you'd use it as a ski boat. Next thing we know, you'll be posting a thread about finding the very first Correct Craft boat and adding that to your collection. Have fun! Ken
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 5:31pm
Art, if a 2001 mold was still available I would probably have ideas ha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

Alan,
How about some pics of it since you gave it a bath.

Will do next weekend when I get back down to the boat but it doesn't look that much prettier.    We just gave it a quick bath at a car wash and nearly froze in the process.

Anyway, the plan as it stands right now is to bring it home when the clocks change so I can get some hours on it after work. I plan to just completely strip it of all hardware and mechanicals so I can pull up the floor and see what the stringers look like. I can't imagine the stringers are any good so that will be were I start.

After that I'll get working on the Gel, I had a lofty idea that I could pay to have the Gelcoat done professionally but I've had a few estimates and the cost is way out of the budget. So looks like I'll be learning a new craft

I've had some good leads on a motor, thanks for the emails guys, one of them will work out. I have several options right now just waiting for pricing from two engine builders for a complete rebuilt motor as opposed to picking up a used and doing the work myself.

Some items I will need to source is that single piece windshield, That is what I'm going to put back on it so keep your eyes open. If nothing turns up in the next 12 months or so I am ready to make a mold and form one myself. I have access to an oven so the real task is to build a mold and try to not waste too many sheets of plexiglass in the leaning process.   If we go that route and it works out maybe we'll make several as I'm sure there's a need for them.

Other items I will need are a full compliment of period correct gauges. I'll list what I need once I determine if were'going mechanical or electrical and maybe some of you ebay wizards could work your magic.

So that' s it for now, updates as they happen
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Art, if a 2001 mold was still available I would probably have ideas ha.

What we do still have is the hull that we cut, added to, hacked, bent, Bondo'd, tried different chines, slammed over wakes, and tried our best to make it turn over when we were developing the hull. Steve Meloon and I would come back from the lake with sore muscles from doing S-turns, spinouts, etc for hours on end.
The hull is stored under shrink wrap in the rack at Southeast. It's still referred to as Ski Nautique 1234. No, it will never, ever be sold or given away!
"Art"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

What we do still have is the hull that we cut, added to, hacked, bent, Bondo'd, tried different chines, slammed over wakes, and tried our best to make it turn over when we were developing the hull. Steve Meloon and I would come back from the lake with sore muscles from doing S-turns, spinouts, etc for hours on end.

This is an actual job that you got paid for!??

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic