NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Leo told me to "do what it takes to make the prop spin"

Spoken like a true mechanic! Heart

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I got the 'OK' from the designer so, I guess its a change order? Lol</span>

Classic ....just Classic!!!! How many OEM Designers from 60 years ago are still around to share their wisdom and give you there blessing to change the first one ever made. Ya can't put a price tag on that! Cool.

I know right?? Truly wild, this has been a very unusual 'restoration' by all accounts. I've never experienced or seen something like this. Its like having Lee Iacocca say "sure, send a couple drywall screws into the doorpanel of your K car"

Are changes made now that Leo says are okay now recalls and updates?? What does original mean! Haha

I'm glad we live in an age where this can all be documented. If somebody wants to 'restore' it to 'original' specs 100 years from now, they can reference this thread.

I have 4 goals
1.) Make it drive without sinking too much
2.) Preserve the exterior handwriting
3.) Keep the patina
4.) Take Leo for a ride
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 9:17am
  You have both versions there,  the 272 has a velvet and the 292 has the Dearborn so you can go either way.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 9:18am

Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

The original engine probably had a Dearborn tranny on it. 

Is there two types of Dearborn? Ugly has a Dearborn on it but its even shorter than the velvet.

I once saw what I think was a Dearborn but the output coupler was angled like a pcm reduction trans in a boat graveyard.

I got the 'OK' from the designer so, I guess its a change order? Lol

Yes, there were several versions of the Dearborn gears.  There were at least two different models used in Correct Crafts. I have never seen a down-angle one, but they easily could have been available at some time.  We also used a mechanical-shifted Paragon 1:1 before the Dearbos and the Warners. ("Velvet Drives")  There also was a lighter-duty Warner that had only four pairs of clutches.  The model number was AS70C.  It was dropped by Warner sometime in the late 1960s. The one we see most of nowadays were AS71C model, which became the 1017 when they changed their model number system.  It has five pairs of clutch discs.  There is also a 1018, formerly known as the AS72C.  It has six pairs of clutch discs, and is rated for higher horsepower than the 1017.
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 9:27am
I’ll throw in my 2cents.

While getting Leo’s current feedback sure is neat, I think any major deviations from the original configuration dilute the restoration significantly, regardless of whether you got “permission”. Keeping the patina and getting Leo out in the water are certainly admirable though.
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 9:31am
Hey Huss.  Are you still getting the windshield from me?
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 10:01am

Yes, there were several versions of the Dearborn gears.  There were at least two different models used in Correct Crafts. I have never seen a down-angle one, but they easily could have been available at some time. 

Eaton never made a down angle Dearbomatic. They did however have a very short lived V drive. 

The 3 versions of the Dearbo were the first that used engine oil pressure for the clutch pack presseure. Then since that wasn't reliable, the second was another oil pump piggy backed to the engine oil pump. Still not the best, the third was the self contained oil pump within the trans itself. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 10:07am
Awesome. This thread is why we are all on this forum.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 10:11am
Thanks, Pete.  I had forgotten about the one that used the engine oil pressure.  I have a couple of Dearbos in my "bone yard," in case you are looking for parts.  
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I’ll throw in my 2cents.

While getting Leo’s current feedback sure is neat, I think any major deviations from the original configuration dilute the restoration significantly, regardless of whether you got “permission”. Keeping the patina and getting Leo out in the water are certainly admirable though.

Don't worry, I won't do anything that would detract from the overall aesthetic. I want every part period correct. When somebody sees the boat in person I want them to feel like it hasn't been touched on 60 years. But I do want it to be very reliable so it can be taken to special events and people can get an opportunity to ski/ride in it. If that means ditching a questionable transmission style,, i think that's what's best. You guys are all invited for a ride once its good enough to bring to a meet.

Scott, yes I do still want that windshield. Sorry for my radio silence, Covid has made it impossible to take a break from work. I may just have to pay to you to pack it up and ship it along with however much you need for it.

Art, this must of had some sort of angled transmission, both the Dearborn and velvet are a mile away from where the motor needs to go. I ordered a 57" driveshaft from elberts. The one that was in it definitely wasn't original, a 51" which is very similar to what was in most 1990+ Nautiques? Bob Cleary did have a 302 with a velvet in it last time it moved
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 3:34pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:17pm
Bruce,
Wow, that Dearbo is a new one on me. I've never seen one and considering that's an artist rendering, I wonder how many were made? 

The reduction add on adds length so it still may not solve the problem with SN #1? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:20pm
Pete, it's in the same manual that was on the site for years.  

I know someone that has encountered one and it was in a Correct Craft.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce,
Wow, that Dearbo is a new one on me. I've never seen one and considering that's an artist rendering, I wonder how many were made? 

The reduction add on adds length so it still may not solve the problem with SN #1? 

The pic Riley posted is the one I saw in a boneyard once, thats probably what it once had.

The problem on number #1 is the motor is too low when you try to put it where it 'was' and
1.) the bellhousing hits the hull
2.) The orginal style motor mounts are crazy low and don't catch the top of the stringers.
3.) The exhaust that far back is going to cause some real interference with the motor cover

How far I have the motor forward actually resembles how 50s Resorters/Coronados were built, with the pulleys 'under' the seat back
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:53pm
I don't think the transmission pictured above is a down-angle, but rather a drop-center, meaning that the centerline of the input shaft is offset from that of the output shaft.  It is an advantage if more clearance is needed below the engine.  The Italian-built transmission that we used beginning in 1989 is both a drop-center and down-angle combined.  (BTW we no longer use it because Velvet Drive has come up with a better mousetrap that is built like a battle tank. Most of the parts in in look verrrry velvet drive-ish.  It is known as the Series 80, and it drops right in where the Italian one (known as Series 40) came out.  You do have to change out the drive plate and the oil cooler.
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:59pm
Also heres some interesting things tearing her apart.

Its a foamed boat! Must have been one of the firsts

The floor had a SINGLE layer of fiberglass cloth on it and NOTHING on the opposite side of the ply! Can't believe it 'mostly' lasted 60 years.

The motor cover, this one's funny, just gel over plywood. It looks like it cracked several times over the years and they just kept spraying over it. I've reinforced it from the inside with Coosa and cloth to keep it from shredding apart. It doesn't look awesome but it will hold up fine. They probably didn't understand much about the properties of gel back then.

I have not been able to identify the steering wheel/steering column. No manufacturers print anywhere on it. Also, no steering limiter, either direction. Allows the rudder to go completely 90 both ways

The back transom is actually wood. I have no idea why.

The speedo is like the first aquameter ever. It's difficult to even find pictures of it.

It has a tracking fin. Looks just as deteriorated as the strut, maybe original?

The front bow eye is actually through bolted through the bottom of the boat with carriage bolts, just like a wooden boat.

The stringers are pretty much the best fiberglassing job I've even seen. Looks vacuum formed, not a single imperfection
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:00pm
Huss, the Interceptors had wooden spacers between the mounts and the stringers.  They were sort of wedge-shaped.  I might still have a photo of my '65 with the Interceptor arrangement.  Also, I have some Interceptor mounts.  Shoot me a photo of the mounts you have; what I have might solve your problem.  
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:08pm

Also heres some interesting things tearing her apart.

Its a foamed boat! Must have been one of the firsts

The floor had a SINGLE layer of fiberglass cloth on it and NOTHING on the opposite side of the ply! Can't believe it 'mostly' lasted 60 years.

The motor cover, this one's funny, just gel over plywood. It looks like it cracked several times over the years and they just kept spraying over it. I've reinforced it from the inside with Coosa and cloth to keep it from shredding apart. It doesn't look awesome but it will hold up fine. They probably didn't understand much about the properties of gel back then.

I have not been able to identify the steering wheel/steering column. No manufacturers print anywhere on it. Also, no steering limiter, either direction. Allows the rudder to go completely 90 both ways

The back transom is actually wood. I have no idea why.

Huss, the steering box is probably a Gemmer.  Looks a whole lot like the steering box in an old-model car or light truck.  I have rebuilt a couple of them that sat around for years with water in them.  If the rudder is balanced properly, it will result in one-finger steering effort for the driver. 

The speedo is like the first aquameter ever. It's difficult to even find pictures of it.

It has a tracking fin. Looks just as deteriorated as the strut, maybe original?

The front bow eye is actually through bolted through the bottom of the boat with carriage bolts, just like a wooden boat.

The stringers are pretty much the best fiberglassing job I've even seen. Looks vacuum formed, not a single imperfection
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:18pm
[QUOTE=ArtCozier]I don't think the transmission pictured above is a down-angle, but rather a drop-center, meaning that the centerline of the input shaft is offset from that of the output shaft.  It is an advantage if more clearance is needed below the engine.

Hard to read from photo I posted, but angle is 10 degrees offset, per manual  "The 10 degree downward angle of the output shaft permits engine mounting closer to the horizontal, conserving installation space" 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:46pm

Bruce,

Pete

I don't think it's totally new, just forgotten, click on the link below from 2007, where you mention hearing of a couple of down angle Dearbomatics and a couple people that have some knowledge of them. First post in the thread. The rest of the thread has some good Dearbo info too.

It looks like Riley's photo says it has a 10 degree down angle like he mentioned and it's a reduction gear transmission too.

Maybe that father and son team is still dealing with the Dearbomatics if Hussler goes that route

I think the Italians and PCM blatantly borrowed some ideas from that transmission Wink
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 6:02pm
Gosh, that thread brought back memories.  Our 1st project.  Every job was a big deal back then.  You would not believe how many tools we have bought in the past 12 years... Eric did a great job on the rebuild.  The father and son team had no interest in re building them for anyone else, although they were helpful with information.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Gosh, that thread brought back memories.  Our 1st project.  Every job was a big deal back then.  You would not believe how many tools we have bought in the past 12 years... Eric did a great job on the rebuild.  The father and son team had no interest in re building them for anyone else, although they were helpful with information.  

Nothing like a stroll down memory lane Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Gosh, that thread brought back memories.   

I sure agree with that. It's amazing what 13 years has done to my memory! Embarrassed

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:17am
Art, do you recognize the steering wheel? Its not Gemmer brand too Is it?

The column works nice, I just greased it.

The steering wheel though is boardline. If I could get a slightly better condition one of the same style/brand/year I would. Or maybe there's a way to gently preserve it with some resin? I'm just afraid as soon as it gets used again it will flake apart
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 6:05pm
No, the wheel is definitely not manufactured by Gemmer. Only the box itself is from them. For the column itself, steel tubing about 3/4" outside diameter.  For the column tubing.  The wheel itself I think it was whatever was at hand.  The boat that I owned that used that steering system had a black plastic three-spoke wheel.  It looked a lot like the steering wheel off of an old tractor.  It must have had a steel core in it, because it was really heavy.  You could stick a finger through it and give it a healthy spin, and it would take the steering from lock to lock. Great for docking situations.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 6:08pm
Is there a photo of the current wheel on this thread somewhere?  
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 6:47pm

The boat that I owned that used that steering system had a black plastic three-spoke wheel.  It looked a lot like the steering wheel off of an old tractor.  It must have had a steel core in it, because it was really heavy.  You could stick a finger through it and give it a healthy spin, and it would take the steering from lock to lock. Great for docking situations.

Was it a Sheller that used 1/2" gal. pipe from the box to the tiller arm? 

If, so, then like many boats built after WWII, it was war surplus mostly from building Jeeps. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 7:14pm
Not familiar with Sheller.  Is that a boat brand?  The boat that I referred to was a Leo Bentz built Ski Nautique that I used in my ski school operation 1968 to 1972. The photo of the wheel looks exactly like the one that was on that boat.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 7:18pm
Yes, it had a length of brass pipe that went from the pittman arm to the tiller arm.  I have seen later ones (such as my 1963) that had galvanized pipe.  Remember, Leo operated his ski school on salt water, so maybe for boats that he built to use there got the brass.  
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 7:25pm

Not familiar with Sheller.  Is that a boat brand?   The photo of the wheel looks exactly like the one that was on that boat.

If, so, then like many boats built after WWII, it was war surplus mostly from building Jeeps. 

Art,
Sheller isn't a boat brand. It's the manufacturer of the wheel, collumn, and gear box used on many WWII vehicals and then the surplus on many boats. ALL the 40's 50's and then some 60's CC's used them

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:20pm
So not only did Leo create the Ski Nautique but also the Coastal Edition as well Thumbs Up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic