NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 17>
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

For $900 I’ll make you 3 windshields. If someone has an original and could get it to me I’d be happy to help out.

I have an original "first generation" one for my '63, but it is hazy and tiny cracks are forming.  I don't want 3, but an certainly interested in having one. 
"Art"
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:06pm

For $900 I’ll make you 3 windshields. If someone has an original and could get it to me I’d be happy to help out.

What business are you in these days that you can manufacture windshields, Hollywood?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:38pm
The business of high performance plastic glazing.

Art, if it’s in 1 piece that’s all that matters.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 9:08am
This popped up today on my PC not sure if its right size/type tach...
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 10:10am

The business of high performance plastic glazing.

Art, if it’s in 1 piece that’s all that matters.

It is in one piece.  Next hurdle will be to try to find someone traveling from FL to MN who might transport it for us.  Most of the "snowbirds" have already escaped FL to get away from our extreme heat and humidity, but if you hear of such a person, please let me know.  I'm sure that I could package it up in such a way that it would survive such a trip, but I wouldn't want to depend on a commercial shipper. 
"Art"
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 10:28am
Hollywood, where are you located?  MN or WI?  I have a 1964 SN, SN 1378.  Might be able to meet up.  Could take the windshield off for a pattern and then put it back on.  It is one piece, not perfect but I like the patina.  
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 10:43am
I am in southeast Wisconsin.

I’ll be in Winter Haven at Christmas if the MN piece doesn’t work out.
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 12:48pm
I know a guy who may be able to transport Art's to you from FL.  He is bringing a windshield to me in AL from Alan in IL in the near future.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:54pm

I am in southeast Wisconsin.

I’ll be in Winter Haven at Christmas if the MN piece doesn’t work out.

Wow, that would be perfect!!  It will save a lot of coordination and handing-off for those involved.  Will you be in a vehicle with enough room to fit it?  As I recall, it's 72" wide tip-to-tip.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

I know a guy who may be able to transport Art's to you from FL.  He is bringing a windshield to me in AL from Alan in IL in the near future.

Scott, it looks as though we have this covered without a lot of complex handing it off to various people. I do appreciate the offer. 

"Art"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 3:01pm
Hollywood has the Cadillac  with a trunk big enough from several dead bodies. Wink
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 9:39pm
I'm sure he appreciates the advertising!
"Art"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 10:24pm
No problem Art, that just means we have to take my truck instead of my wife’s. See you at Christmas.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 9:45am
If anyone has even just the frame for a split windshield off a 1st gen, I would be interested in purchasing and having new plexi made for it
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 3:37am
I have a split frame off of a 1960's Barracuda.  It has glass in it.  Art may be able to shed some light on the compatibility of this.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:37am
My memory is a little foggy on this, but I think this was discussed awhile back and the SN split glass windshield was unique to the SN.  It's wider than a Mustang windshield, but not as wide as a Barracuda windshield.  Maybe someone with a 1st Gen SN will chime in? 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Maybe someone with a 1st Gen SN will chime in? 

Phil (70CC) where are you? Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

If anyone has even just the frame for a split windshield off a 1st gen, I would be interested in purchasing and having new plexi made for it

I think you might find that the deck on the Gen 1 is too flat for any of the two-piece windshields that we used. There needs to be some "crown" to the deck for them to fit properly.  You might want to check photos in the Reference section of CCFan.com
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

My memory is a little foggy on this, but I think this was discussed awhile back and the SN split glass windshield was unique to the SN.  It's wider than a Mustang windshield, but not as wide as a Barracuda windshield.  Maybe someone with a 1st Gen SN will chime in? 

I think the first split-glass windshields on the SN came about it 1970, after the hull and deck were re-designed.

Interesting little side-bar story about the redesign... W.O. Meloon asked the toolmaker (makes molds) to "clean up and make more stylish" the Gen1 SN, but don't mess with the bottom."..  A few days later the toolmaker came to W.O. and asked, "Mr. Meloon, which side of the bottom would you like me to duplicate?  He had lofted a boat, taken some measurements and determined that the bottom of the boat was asymmetrical.  To my knowledge, that prevailed to some extent through the 196 model. 
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:38pm

Per Leo, one of the oldest pics he has, pretty telling for the windshield. I can also see the Aquameter (which I have to replace) and the Tach, and I presume oil and temp. Someone must have added the volt/amp gauge
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 8:41pm
Hmmm... This photo sheds a whole new light on this project.... I had not realized that #1 is a left-hand drive.  That makes it unnecessary to hunt down RH rotation engine parts.  The PCM that was in it might have been a RH rotation engine.  What hand prop is on it??
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Hmmm... This photo sheds a whole new light on this project.... I had not realized that #1 is a left-hand drive.  That makes it unnecessary to hunt down RH rotation engine parts.  The PCM that was in it might have been a RH rotation engine.  What hand prop is on it??

It has a left hand prop that is very rotted. Certainly older than the 302 that was put in it (in 1995 I think I was told?) I wouldn't be surprised if the prop was at least 30 years old. It could be from the 60's, its very rotten
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 2:14pm
Sorry I can't help with the split windshield question, my '65 has the one piece, a little hazy and scratched, but not too bad.  Did one of Reid's gen 1's have a 2 piece?

I do have a used left hand 13-13 prop in nice condition - PM me if you need it for the project.

-Phil
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

Sorry I can't help with the split windshield question, my '65 has the one piece, a little hazy and scratched, but not too bad. 

-Phil

Phil,
My 64 X55 has a plexi that was hazy and scratched too. Several years ago I used one of the plastic polishes on it and was very impressed how it turned out. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2020 at 5:27pm
Sorry for the lack of updates, I swear I'm working on her lol.

Gutted the interior and replaced the front floor. Stringers are in remarkable condition.

Flipped a coin (literally) and decided to just scab in the sections of the stringers that were cut to accommodate the 302.

I'm in the Bahamas to work on a G25, hope to be back Monday. This has been a crazy season.

I ordered a new driveshaft from elberts. I had to move the engine forward 5 inches. I dont think the original had a velvet.

Leo told me to "do what it takes to make the prop spin"

I expect to resume work around new years
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2020 at 10:39pm
The original engine probably had a Dearborn tranny on it. 
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 7:06am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

The original engine probably had a Dearborn tranny on it. 

Is there two types of Dearborn? Ugly has a Dearborn on it but its even shorter than the velvet.

I once saw what I think was a Dearborn but the output coupler was angled like a pcm reduction trans in a boat graveyard.

I got the 'OK' from the designer so, I guess its a change order? Lol
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 7:50am

Leo told me to "do what it takes to make the prop spin"

Spoken like a true mechanic! Heart

I got the 'OK' from the designer so, I guess its a change order? Lol

Classic ....just Classic!!!! How many OEM Designers from 60 years ago are still around to share their wisdom and give you there blessing to change the first one ever made. Ya can't put a price tag on that! Cool.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 8:26am

Dearbo Model C.  Definately shorter than a Velvet Drive.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 8:55am
I hope to be ' done' by the end of February and take Leo for a ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic