NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 17>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I did some measurements, and neither engine has motor mounts that match up to the stringers, pretty weird.
Jim,
Yes, that is odd. Not matching on the width between the stringers? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 2:47pm
Hussler..... I have seen at least four different configurations of mounts for Interceptors. My '65 had a plate across the front of the engine that had the receivers for the mount trunions welded to each end.  The plate also served as a mount for the raw water pump.  The 'feet" had wooden blocks under them to attain the shaft angle.  Could be that the original Interceptor had different mounts from the ones on the engines that you have. 
It's also possible that whoever put the 351 in it required some modifications to the stringers. I have a few mount parts for Interceptors that I could share if need be. 
"Art"
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 4:09pm
That front 'plate' engine mount described by Art is what's on my '64 Dunphy w/312 Interceptor. It attaches to the front of the cast aluminum oil pan. (a spare of which I have...)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 8:35pm
Jim, I think its safe to safe to say....... We lovers of the brand appreciate all the work that you're doing to get #1 back on the water. Having chatted with Art a few years ago about this boat then telling Alan about it who pursued it and acquired it then making sure it was passed on to you who has discussed it with its designer is just FREAKING AWESOME. We thank you for keeping us all in the loop on this and being a part of the restore. I bet you did choke up when Leo said I hope I'm still here to drive it when you're done. Wow just Wow. Good on you for reaching out to him to ask permission to change the design to make it work. That was a Classy Gentlemen's move if I ever read one! The first round is on me when our paths cross!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Jim, I think its safe to safe to say....... We lovers of the brand appreciate all the work that you're doing to get #1 back on the water. Having chatted with Art a few years ago about this boat then telling Alan about it who pursued it and acquired it then making sure it was passed on to you who has discussed it with its designer is just FREAKING AWESOME. We thank you for keeping us all in the loop on this and being a part of the restore. I bet you did choke up when Leo said I hope I'm still here to drive it when you're done. Wow just Wow. Good on you for reaching out to him to ask permission to change the design to make it work. That was a Classy Gentlemen's move if I ever read one! The first round is on me when our paths cross!

I'm glad for feedback like this, thank you. This is a super unusual boat that I think fundamentally, has to be taken care in a very particular way. I can see Alan's predicament with fixing it up, it's kinda overwhelming. So its nice to hear that others think I'm doing it right.

It's funny, the Mustang I wanted to build it completely my way, with as much power as I could pack in it. Pretty much the opposite of "keep it original"! Now I don't even want to change motor mounts without permission.

As far as the mounts go, I'll post a pic. Maybe somebody will spot something I didn't. But, sounds like Leo doesn't care as long as she moves, my kinda guy!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 9:31am
Good stuff.  I really enjoy this thread.  Keep up the good (double time)work!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 10:27am
Going to work on the boat/motor a little today. Installing new impellers, a condenser and a replacing a broken fitting on the trans.

Leo ok'd either of the Stewart Warner gauge sets, the common white pointer, black face and chrome surround or the "wings" style, which one do you guys think? I'd assume the regular style would be more accurate over the "wings
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 11:24am
Jim,
Go with the basic S/W's I don't know of any CC's of that era that used the Wings. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 1:25pm
You might take a look at the Stewart Warner "Green Line" series of gauges. They appear to have been installed by a few boat builders in the '60's, and look the part.

https://www.stewartwarner.com/products/green-line/
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

You might take a look at the Stewart Warner "Green Line" series of gauges. They appear to have been installed by a few boat builders in the '60's, and look the part.
Brian,
The only Green Line S/W's I've ever seen in boats are in our X-55's. BTW, if you ever need a fuel gauge sender for the X, mine is a 0 to 30 Ohm to match the gauge so, if you need one, double check. 

Jim,
Again, I recommend going for the basic black with the with pointer. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 2:20pm
I favor the Stewart Warner chrome bezel / black face / white graphics and needle.  Many of the early boats built by Correct Craft didn't have a fuel gauge, but rather a direct-reading mechanical gauge on the top of the fuel tank and a plexiglas window in the rear deck.  My '65 (which I bought from Leo) even had a light under the rear deck so that you could read the gauge in the dark. 

Can anyone tell me why I cannot type a reply on this new site unless I choose and emoticon first? 
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

My '65 (which I bought from Leo) even had a light under the rear deck so that you could read the gauge in the dark. 

I know you and I discussed this at the Mt Dora boat show back when CC was the featured boats- but my '69 Mustang because it was spec'ed with the HM does not have the hole cutout in the deck. It still did have the light though. Long before this site I could not figure out why in the world was there a socket back there,my thinking what did the crazy PO's do this for ??  I guess you had the guy's making the harness at a bench- all boats got the same rather than make up each harness for each individual boat. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 9:40pm

Gary, now that you mention it, I remember discussing the light with you.  In those days, I don't think there was such a thing as a           pre-assembled wiring harness in the boats.  The guys installing parts in the boats would get in the boat with a bunch of spools of wire and wire components as they installed them.  And none of them would have questioned the reason for that light, their job was to install it, window or not.  When the fuel fills dropped straight into the tanks, a dowel rod in the boat was superior to any fuel gauge available, and it would still be that way if they hadn't put all they twists and turns in the fill hose.
BTW, I have been making daily drives past the old factory where your boat was born to watch the progress of the demolition of the building.  I had hoped to get some photos of the signs painted on the outside of the building, but the track hoes got there first.  Sort of sad to see it go, but it certainly wasn't accomplishing anything.   
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 10:38pm
Jeff on Planet Nautique had posted some pictures of when he recently drove by. Was there Correct Craft offices across the street from the factory? those buildings look similar and the windows look exactly the same. Google Earth is almost like being there. In the past I have looked up Leo's school - looks like it was in the back of what is now a Publix
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2020 at 10:10am
I still don't understand why this page won't let me type anything unless I select an emoticon first.

Gary, I'll have to go look at Google Earth and see what you are looking at.  Are you inputting 5717 South Orange Av 32809?  To my knowledge there never has been a Publix in that area, but there once was a Winn Dixie to the north on the east side of Orange Av. That is the address. The building across the street I believe has the same windows that the factory had, but it is not part of CC. There were in fact offices across the street, but that building was demolished soon after they moved to the new factory.  It was once the Pine Castle Hotel, and when W.C. Meloon bought it there was not enough headroom on the first floor to build boats, so he tore out the raised wood floor and built boats on the dirt floor below.  After WW2 they needed storage space for all of the cast part forms that they had built for the military boats, so a loft was added above the dirt floor.  Later, after the first part of the factory was built across the street, the first floor was replaced and it was turned into offices.  Trouble was t  The upstairs was W.C. and his wife's residence.  Soon they needed more storage space, so a loft was added over the dirt floor. Trouble was that when they replaced the wooden floors, the loft had taken away headroom,so anyone over 6' had to duck when walking through, or risk being cut on the head due to the home-made sheetmetal air conditioning vents that in the ceiling.  I have a scar as evidence. 
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2020 at 10:13am

Gary, I just noticed that I misread your remark about Publix.  Not sure what was behind Leo's location in North Miami Beacj'
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2020 at 10:22am
Sorry if I mislead you Art, the Publix reference is for Lee’s ski school in Miami Beach. When you look up his old address you end up at the back of a Publix. If I ever end up near there l will take a ride over. When we spend the winter in the Keys we go out of our way to avoid the Miami area......

Don’t know why you have to pick an emoticon to type
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 10:48pm
Hey all,

I agree on the basic "deluxe" style gauges, however, Stewart Warner doesn't make a tach that looks like the rest of the deluxe gauges anymore.

On top of that, I'm really leaning towards buying some "pretty loved" gauges. I think a patina on the gauges would fit the boat better and the look I want it to have.

This boat never had a fuel gauge or a sight window. I'm assuming it just had a dowel, which i will have to go buy a length of.

If anybody has some Stewart Warner gauges with a worn look to them, I'd love to buy them.

I need:

Volt/Amp (amp would probably be original)
Oil pressure (mech or electrical)
Temp
Tachometer (0-5000/6000rpm)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:12am
We've got gauges, bot not a correct tach that we'll give you if you want them. PM your email and I'll send you some photos.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:20am
I guess I should update with a more complete list:

-stewart warner gauge set: tach, volt/amp, oil pressure, temp
-aqua meter 1st gen speedo
-split windshield
-2 1/2 copper exhaust tubes x2

In keeping with the patina theme, all these parts can be faded/worn.

I also want to say that I want to pay you guys for all this stuff, I appreciate everyone reaching out to give me parts for free but I know what goes into finding all this stuff and its not easy! I also appreciate everyone that has given me leads on finding parts. We have been unbelievably backed up at work and sometimes it's hard to sit down and search for this stuff after a long day
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:47am
i  I don't think2-1/2" copper is available anymore.  In the 1970s, before mufflers came in, we used 3" and swaged the ends down to fit the 3" hose.  Refrigeration copper is ungodly expensive, but is available in 3".
"Art"
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:08am
What kind of shape is the windshield thats on it now? Im still looking for one for my 69.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:21am
Weren't those older boats 2 3/8" exhaust?  
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:25am
Originally posted by SN1648 SN1648 wrote:

What kind of shape is the windshield thats on it now? Im still looking for one for my 69.

Most likely it originally had a one-piece Plexiglass Taylor wraparound windshield on it.  I have been told, but have not checked, that Taylor will make that windshield if there are several orders for it.  I would like to get one for my '63.  From your hull number (1648) yours must be a '63 or '64.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

You are absolutely correct.  Does anyone know where I left my brain?  I think I've lost it!!!
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:31am

i  I don't think2-1/2" copper is available anymore.  

Confused

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:36am

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

You are absolutely correct.  Does anyone know where I left my brain?  I think I've lost it!!!

Really? What an odd size. I measured the Interceptor and it looked like 2 1/2 to me. I guess I was assuming it was just rusty
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:36am
Mine is a 1969. I have spoke to taylormade about their Holliday windshield and its about 900$ all said and done and the fit is not like the originals. Im only an hr drive from them in NY but have been looking for a used one also before i go ahead with ordering one and paying out my a$$$$
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I did some measurements, and neither engine has motor mounts that match up to the stringers, pretty weird.
Jim,
Yes, that is odd. Not matching on the width between the stringers? 

Pete I don't think the issue is the width of the stringers and I'm pretty sure if Jim looks back in the service records I sent him he'll find that the plywood floor was replaced after the PCM engine was installed in 1996.  I would imagine the plywood was cut out to accept the new location of the pcm motor mounts and that's why the Interceptor mounts don't want to fall right in place.  That's just a guess but I know the floor has been replaced.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:32pm
For $900 I’ll make you 3 windshields. If someone has an original and could get it to me I’d be happy to help out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic