NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617>
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:33pm
To Leo's credit, other than a couple of blisters on the cast aluminum housing on the Morse control, the 1965 SN that I bought from him in 1966 had been used at the ski school, but showed no signs whatsoever of having been in saltwater.  I know from talking with some of his former staff members that he stayed "on" them constantly about cleaning and preserving the boats.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:51pm
Pete, I don't doubt that the wheel and column may have been made by a different named manufacturer, or perhaps there was some sort of subsidiary, but about 20 years ago when I was gathering parts for my '63, the steering box was literally falling apart, and I asked Mr. Ralph if he remembered the name of the company that made them, and he instantly said, "Gemmer," and added that they were in Minnesota.  He then told me that the reason he remembered that name so well was that they  were one of the very last companies that he visited for the purpose of paying off Correct Craft's debt from the bankruptcy.  I later cleaned up the one that came out of the '63 and found that the housing had "Gemmer" embossed on the cast iron.  Maybe it was a situation similar to the Saginaw - General Motors relationship.

"Art"
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 9:34pm
United Technologies, Sheller Globe steering wheels were the standard issue wheel used on tractors and heavy truck through the 70’s until the company I worked for at the time (Vehicle Improvement Products) provided self skinning urethane molded steering wheels. 

Sheller Globe made a good $10 steering wheel and they held up well in outdoor applications like this old boat. 
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 9:48pm
Since this discussion piqued my own interest, I Googled (actually duck-ducked) "Gemmer steering box" and found out that 1929-1932 Model "A" Fords used the Gemmer worm-gear boxes. They were used in some Morgans, Land Rovers, and other vehicles.  The photos show exactly the box that CC used in the old boats. 
"Art"
Nautique2001BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2020 at 7:57am
What an awesome story. Can’t wait to see more pics of restoration!!
Regards,
Brandon Cruse
Central KY Inboards
859-396-0518
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2021 at 3:30pm
What a cool story

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 3:57pm
Hey gang, this just posted on the Nautique FB page, with the following caption:

"The First Correct Craft to ever have "Nautique" on it!
NAUTIQUE #1".

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

"The First Correct Craft to ever have "Nautique" on it!
NAUTIQUE #1".

I think you should tell them that Boat #1 is a Glass Craft Ski Nautique Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 4:06pm
Yeah, thought this would start a discussion on here ;-)

Maybe it's just about the first one to have the "Nautique" 'decal' on the side ;-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 4:29pm

Yeah, thought this would start a discussion on here ;-)

Maybe it's just about the first one to have the "Nautique" 'decal' on the side ;-)

Opps, the Glass Craft did :-)

And I'll bring them up to speed ;-)

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

<div dir="auto" style="font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, MacSystemFont, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif; caret-color: rgb5, 5, 5; color: rgb5, 5, 5; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;">"The First Correct Craft to ever have "Nautique" on it!
<div dir="auto" style="font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, MacSystemFont, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif; caret-color: rgb5, 5, 5; color: rgb5, 5, 5; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;">NAUTIQUE #1".<div dir="auto" style="font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, MacSystemFont, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif; caret-color: rgb5, 5, 5; color: rgb5, 5, 5; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;">
<div dir="auto" style="font-family: system-ui, -apple-system, MacSystemFont, ".SFNSText-Regular", sans-serif; caret-color: rgb5, 5, 5; color: rgb5, 5, 5; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;">

I think you should tell them that Boat #1 is a Glass Craft Ski Nautique Wink

Yeah, it literally says it on the side. It's literally spelled out lol.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It's still been a crazy season for us. I'll try to upload some pics tonight. I almost have the floor completely done, I just have to finish the drop in sections that go over the driveshaft. I hope to have the floor painted this weekend!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 8:58pm
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 9:00pm
Slight restoration of port lettering. 4 insignias left

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 9:07pm
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 9:59pm
Looking good, Huss.  Did you get the engine mounts and installation height worked out?  I hope that you'll have the "Powered by Interceptor" label refreshed also.  People associate "Interceptor" with high performance engines in law enforcement vehicles because Eaton Corp, (the parent company of Interceptor) besides marinizing Ford engines for marine applications, modified Ford engines for police vehicles.  The engines had a label on the valve covers that read "Police Interceptor."  When I had my '65, the most common remark I got if I opened the motor box at a dock, was, "Wow is that a fuel injected engine?" 
Lots of people want to know why the carburetors and side-draft and installed low profile.  It saves vertical room.  When installed in a sport fisherman type boat, the manufacturer can lower the deck over the engine room considerably.
"Art"
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 9:44am
Fantastic. The lettering restoration is perfect. Thx for pics
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Looking good, Huss.  Did you get the engine mounts and installation height worked out?  I hope that you'll have the "Powered by Interceptor" label refreshed also.  People associate "Interceptor" with high performance engines in law enforcement vehicles because Eaton Corp, (the parent company of Interceptor) besides marinizing Ford engines for marine applications, modified Ford engines for police vehicles.  The engines had a label on the valve covers that read "Police Interceptor."  When I had my '65, the most common remark I got if I opened the motor box at a dock, was, "Wow is that a fuel injected engine?" 
Lots of people want to know why the carburetors and side-draft and installed low profile.  It saves vertical room.  When installed in a sport fisherman type boat, the manufacturer can lower the deck over the engine room considerably.

Thank you Art, I am going to do the Interceptor ones as well, people that have seen the boat in person have said "Don't restore the lettering, leave it like it is!" Sad reality is that if I don't restore them now, they will be gone forever.

And yes, everything is aligned, I'll have to pull the engine one last time to paint the floor.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2021 at 8:54am
Just noticed an annoying detail. In the 1960 picture the boat has a left hand prop, both motors I have are right hand... ...guess I'll be rebuilding the Ugly motor to be left hand and run the Blue motor right hand for now

Does anybody have any decent RH props they want to loan me :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2021 at 10:08am
Jim,
If you have a choice, I'd suggest starting with a 12" dia. x 15" pitch.  

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2021 at 10:22am
FWIW, I found that 13 X13 with medium cup worked best on my 312 = 215hp. 
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2021 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

FWIW, I found that 13 X13 with medium cup worked best on my 312 = 215hp. 
Art,
Was there enough clearance to the hull to run the 13" dia.? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2021 at 8:00pm
Yes, as I recall it was close to 15/16".  Now, I'm not going to say that the struts that Leo was using were identical to the ones made by Meloon Foundry for Correct Craft.  My boat was a '65 CC. Shaft overhang plays into it also, of course.  Rule of thumb as I understand it is one shaft diameter for hull clearance.  
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 8:16pm
I think a 13" will swing

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 8:19pm
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 12:51pm
I contacted Leo about the anchor light because I am a little hesitant to keep it. This was his response:

"No, I never put an anchor light on our boats because we never anchored them out at night. I would also have been reluctant to put holes in that seat back midship hull strengthener where that ski hook is located. However, new owners have made changes to their Nautique hulls without any problems."

I think the fact that it was originally built without an anchor light is a very interesting aspect of it being a prototype. I'm contemplating removing it and filling the holes. I could always get one of those cheap battery powered anchor lights for USCG approval.

What do you guys think?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 1:23pm
Unless regular use at night, I'd likely just go with the temp anchor light.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2021 at 1:40pm
I keep getting the 'Error inserting object into location'  every time I try to upload a pic, what settings should I change to stop this from happening?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2021 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I keep getting the 'Error inserting object into location'  every time I try to upload a pic, what settings should I change to stop this from happening?

Right now you shouldn't be feeling like the Lone Ranger 

It's nothing to change on your end, seems to be a site issue or maybe you and me are the Lone Ranger and Tonto and everybody else can post a picture, but I don't think so Wink

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2021 at 3:06pm
I would bet that Keith is working on the site to repair the damage done by the hackers.
"Art"
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2021 at 3:21pm
this one from my files on the site. 

and 

Just uploaded this one from my computer

Keith said the other day he had to change some setting for the hard drive storage??? worked after that a week ago and again today kenosaby LOL

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic