Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ballast Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
msajecki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msajecki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballast Issue
    Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:00pm
I have a 2005 Air Nautique 226 that I got about a week ago. I have read elsewhere that there is a known issue with the helm control valves.

I ran the boat for about 25 min today, when pulling into my dock, I noticed that the port ballast gauge said it was full and the starboard ballast read at 3/4 full.

I never turned them on to fill them.

In the engine compartment my the engine, the main valves are turned to closed. I checked them again and they seemed really, really hard to turn. Could the valves be bad?

Could they fill by themselves just by running the boat and never using the pumps to fill them?

It appears that the previous owner disconnected the levers under the steering wheel that close up the ballast.

Also, the Bilge seems to be run more than I think it would need to. Had to run for about 2 minutes at the end of my 25 minute ride. Seems excessive.

I'm new to a boat with ballasts, so I'm not entirely sure how they work. Any input or suggestions?

Let me know.

MS
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 1:00pm
There should be shut off valves in the bilge somewhere, could be 1 for each tank, if they are closed no water should be entering the tanks. Those valves may be turned open/closed with a steel rod with a blue handle. If you are unsure where they are check the underside of the hull for the pickup locations. Be careful not to close the engine cooling pickup valve, that valve should have a slide lock that prevents it from turning without moving the stop.
The helm control valves should work to a certain degree, some better then others, they should have some effect on preventing water from entering, typically not able to completely control flow however.
If your boat is not a signature (keyed) the ballast pump buttons on the dash fill with 1 push/solid light and for empty push and hold with blinking light.
msajecki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msajecki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 1:41pm
That's my point, the main control valve levers with the blue handles are set to the off / closed position and the tanks are still filling.

Could THOSE valves be bad?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:17am
If they are closed and water is getting thru then for sure they are bad. Can you feel or see the valve open/close position changing when turning the handles?? Wondering if maybe just the handle/rod could be disconnected or malfunctioning?? Also have you tried them in the open position in case the label is wrong?? Believe those are just ball valves which are generally pretty reliable as long as you can turn the handle.
msajecki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msajecki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:33am
I can see that the lever is actually turning the valve. Good point, I'll check to ensure that that the labels are not wrong. Had not thought of trying that. Seems odd that CC would do that, but who knows, I'm sure stranger things have happened.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:42am
Not CC as much as a previous owner repair/modification, lot's of hobbyist out there, lol
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:52pm
The helm control knobs control the air flow to the tanks. Letting air out lets the water in.
Tim D
bharralson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharralson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 1:17pm
Help!  I have a 2005 Air Nautique 226 Team. It has ballast control knobs under the helm.  Even when the helm control knobs are in the "closed" position, the ballasts fill by themselves when the boat is moving. Anyone know what's going on with this?  I just had all the pumps replaced because they were most of them did not work when I bought the boat. They also replaced the seacock valves that allow water to enter the ballasts. The ballasts now fill and drain quickly, but I have to constantly drain when I'm moving. The mechanic said I could leave the seacocks open because I could open and close the helm control valves.  The seacock valves are not easily accessible.  The belly seacock is easier as there is a door in the floor, but not the port or starboard. The mechanic did away with the blue handled rods that allowed you to open and controls the valves (one of which did not work before). Thanks for any help! 
BH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic