NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boom height adjuster

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boom height adjuster
    Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:15am
I'm building a boom height adjuster and wanted a little input from those who have them.
I can't seem to find a picture of the one i'm looking to copy, I will post a picture once i get a chance.
i am planning on spacing the holes about 2" on center. is this too close of an adjustment or not tight enough?

I have seen this style but i feel like it will move around a lot making it harder to move it.

The style i am looking to copy is a sandwich style but shaped like an L
Is there any reason i cannot find this style sold anywhere? were they faulty? I seem to only be able to find the one i pictured and a buddy boom that goes next to the original pylon allowing easier adjustment with the single boom mount.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 3:48am
I though they were cool, but first consider will you be reaching for a wrench anyway?   I think all my adjustments over two decades were two inches apart.

A wrench on a lanyard is infinity adjustable....
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 8:12am
The above adjuster (pictured) works well with straight booms and will be a struggle with a contoured boom due to the center of gravity shift.
I find it is often easier to set the clamp on the pylon and then adjust the height with cushions or passengers within the boat.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 11:55am
Straight booms go up and down while it's in place easily, curved booms are much harder, no matter what the brand or clamp style. But, the height adjuster is still a benefit having those options before you deploy it. Before I put the boom out I have a pretty good idea what we'll be doing and where I want it.

Tony's BFN has plenty of room for the clamp but some boats don't, making the height adjuster key in getting the boom mounted where you want when the clamp has limited places to mount.

Holes on the BI adjuster are 1.5" on center. Pinch down the clamp on the boom/adjuster side and it won't move at all. Let me know if you need anything else.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:23pm
Sounds like you want to make your own L-shape clamp and not a standalone height adjuster, right Tony? Not sure if you saw mine:

Casad and Hydronetics each made ones like this (casad were black, hydro white) and look identical until you put one on top of the other (slight variations but they function the same). We have a few of each on various boats... But neither is making them anymore (both companies may be long gone?). I also have a bi clamp+ adjuster on my '90 and it works well when pinched as HW described (no rattles).

I love having height adjustability built in. Breaking out the 3/4" wrench every time you change boom height sucks big time. You'll want to get the boom on your BFN pretty much level, with slight adjustability up and down. The v-hull rides so high in the water that a flat boom is quite high. Ski nautiques usually have booms angled up quite a bit more in order to achieve the same height- flat boom on these boats is as low as you ever need to go. I've angled the boom down on the bfn many times to get it low enough for smaller folks and certain tricks. Front deeps and toe holds are much harder with a high boom.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:30pm
I have also seen StraightLine boom clamps that were an L like Tim pictured above.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:52pm
yes i did notice your setup Tim, thats kind of what i am going for. except i dont want to mount the pylon on the secondary pole.
See, when i have the BI extended pylon on top of the factory one. in order to get the boom "flush" as you say I would have to take the extended pylon off to get the clamp high enough on the factory pylon because of the way i am running the boom. I don't believe my boom was originally intended to be used with this BFN because it is a contoured boom. But i have it and i'm going to use it. So I've been running it backwards and it brings the boom forward of the factory pylon and gets you further ahead of that chine spray. it lands right where the rail gets thicker on the 88. (see picture)

SO the reason i am doing this is because right now i cannot get my boom flush or lower as you stated so something like your L shaped bracket would do just the trick i think.
So i will cut my holes 1.5" on center and see what that gets me
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:59pm
Ah, this is a classic issue. Clamp low enough to get out of the way of the extended pylon, but then it's too low for the proper boom height.

Is your boom a universal contour? Can you swing it UP and fore/aft instead of just fore? That would help. Spacing is irrelevant if all you want to do is get a hole up higher than the clamp itself. Tapered pylons have the same issue.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:09pm
Correct, no need for a SDBM on a pylon that doesn't have a ring and finger. I am able to run both my fly high and bi boom mount (with adjuster, boom is straight) on my '90 Sn concurrently with adequate adjustment. It's a little trickier to do on a bfn because the clamp needs to be mounted higher. The lower mounting contour boom will help you here (it needs a lower clamp than a straight boom, obviously). Depending on the type of extended pylon you have, it may also be worthwhile to consider moving the clamp up a bit and allowing the ext pylon to sit on the clamp, rather than bottom out via the pin/bolt on top of the regular pylon. The SDBM is not long enough to allow my fly high to bottom out on the bolt so it sits on the clamp- no issues with this. Just don't move the clamp once you have everything set up, as a height change might require a ext pylon cable re-adjustment.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:11pm
the reason i ask the spacing is,
A. i want it to be similar to whats available out there. and
B. I dont want position 1 to be too high and position 2 to be too low, then be stuck. I have a feeling i will be changing from one end of the specrtum to the other more than just one hole off.
I wanted the adjustments to make sense i guess.
I'm not sure if it is a quad contour or not. I think its a BI because thats the style clamp i have. I can only mount it in two positions, forward of the boom or aft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:15pm
4 positions- it can go out the driver's side as well. Universal countour goes up/down, fore/aft. Quad contour does too but more extreme fore/aft I believe (meant for rear pylons on v-drives). Single contour only goes up/down- no fore/aft curve.

Not sure what HW is getting at with the quad vs deluxe contours. Is up/down curve amount different between the 2? If not, clamp height shouldn't be different between them. Having the curve go forward like you have it is smart.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:33pm
We were both using the wrong terms.

Single contour = only up/down curve
Universal contour = up/down and fore/aft curve
Quad contour = extreme fore/aft curve for v-drive rear mounted pylon. (Not sure how up/down contour compares).

Tony has the universal contour.

Agreed, 1.5" hole spacing is pretty granular. I'd stick with that but maybe build in more overall adjustment than the casad/Hydronetics.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:43pm
copy that haha. I tend to over think things from time to time. I got some stock and plan to ad a 12" extension onto the factory mount. and yes my boom only has two flats on it.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 1:54pm
Edit:

I'm out of touch.

Passenger/Driver is irrelevant, that doesn't add to the positions of the boom. If it did, you could double everything.

We have a "universal contour" equivalent Bemman boom on Johnny's BFN and the clamp resides well below the FlyHigh. If you tried to put a v-drive boom up and forward on a BFN it might go through the windshield. It's pretty extreme. I know, I had one.

Tony, that 12" stock will be plenty to get you up where you want to be.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:03pm
the picture i posted is with the clamp about 2 inches above where the extended pylon would be when resting at its lowest point possible. In other words the extended pylon is resting on the clamp. so you can see its just not high enough to get the boom flush.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:26pm
FWIW, there are 2 v-drive booms, one for each side of the boat. For BI (and probably most others) the more bends there are the shorter the boom becomes. They all start with the same length inside bar (~70").
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You're out of touch Tim. My terms were just fine. BI themselves muddied the water with unnecessary terms.

Deluxe Straight
Deluxe Universal Contour (single contour up/down)
Deluxe Quad Contour (up/down & fore/aft)
Quad V-Drive

Nope, still wrong LOL. I did consult with the BI site before correcting you (us).

B200 Straight Boom
B201 Straight/single contour (up/down only)
B202 Universal Contour (8" fore/aft)
B204 Quad Contour (>8" fore/aft)
B204V Quad V-drive (looks like the only difference to the B204 is the clamp).

http://www.barefootinternational.com/BOOMS.bifh

Moot point since we both know Tony has a Universal Contour.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:50pm
So what I was calling the Quad is the Universal. I had heard of a further bent boom (now known as the Quad) from some Malibus with a crazy long windshield. Wasn't sure it had an official name/part number. I try to stay away from Malibus. This Quad thing does look almost as bent up as the v-drive. I see it also notes driver vs. passenger side (same for v-drive).
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 3:58pm
Just to further muddy the waters, but to hopefully solicit additional clarifying information. Is there different terminology for the boat end of the boom, whether it has 1 hole or 2 at 90*. Tony said his only had two flats, but I know there are also booms with 4 flats and two holes. (I thought that was the difference between a quad and a universal, but I see I was wrong) I remember Brad had one with 2 flats and he had it machined down to four flats and two holes to allow up/down/ fore/aft mounting.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:20pm
Yea, I've seen confusion on the "number of flats". Technically any modernish BI needs 2 [parallel] flats to fit in the clamp. So to me, it's 2 or 4. Four is a square. Making this modification usually means you lose your hole for the push pin, which is not necessary, but you could drill another to accept the skinny end too.

2 flats is a standard, no swing adjusting boom. (Straight or Single Countour)
4 flats = universal, quad, v-drive
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 4:32pm
I've seen plenty of universal contours with just 2 flats- so they were probably purchase with a port vs stbd install specified. Brads needed machining to go forward on port. Tonys would not go aft on port without the same mod. So not all universal contours got the square boss (though you could argue that they should have).
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 1:30am
well its a year later almost but I finally found time to finish this. Just in time for my vacation too.
its been a hectic week but i had some plans change today and this was next on my list so i tackled it.

This weekend will get to test it out and see how it works out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2022 at 5:33pm
Following up just a few years later…

Tony, I assume the clamp worked out? I know a few people looking if you wanted to make a couple more that were similar.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 8:37am
I as well know of someone that would be interested in obtaining one or two of this style adjusters  
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 1:13pm
Can’t you use one of these https://www.barefootinternational.com/product/booms-height-adjuster
I would think by the time you add the labor to weld and machine to the price of the aluminum stock it would be close to the same.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Can’t you use one of these https://www.barefootinternational.com/product/booms-height-adjuster
I would think by the time you add the labor to weld and machine to the price of the aluminum stock it would be close to the same.

Meh, you need the clamp too Paul:

https://www.barefootcentral.com/bi-boltonboomclamp.aspx

The desire is to have the clamp and height adjuster in one piece (well, 2 halves). Cleaner looking, doesn’t rattle, and fits the wider Casad/skinetics booms that can’t go in the BI stuff. I would think something could be made for a good bit less than what BI parts retail for…

I’d advocate starting from scratch rather than modifying the BI clamp if someone were to make a few up.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2022 at 9:01pm
Gotcha
I assumed that you would of already had the clamp as that’s how tony did his.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2022 at 6:40am
It looks like Tony hasn’t visited us in a while, maybe he’ll never see this. If anyone with fab skills is interested, I could provide an example for replicating- pm me.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2022 at 12:53pm
I might know a guy that would do this. If you have plans and would share them I could ask him. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2022 at 5:39pm
No plans on my side- just the physical clamp. Could draw it up though… just need to find the time. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic