Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford 351w starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
larry williams View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford 351w starter
    Posted: May-11-2004 at 10:22pm
dear patrons of the inboard,

my 82 needs a new starter motor for her 351w, is there any special starter that I need to get, or can i fly on down to the local parts supply house and pick one up for a 351w? it seems to me that a ford starter with a two bolt design would work fine, tell me if that is not the case.

thanks- dead in the water
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 10:40pm
KA-BOOM ! it's your boat.
kenny g
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 11:25pm
NO! You must buy a reverse-rotation.

My starter started sounding weak and grinding, so I took it to a respected local rebuilder who was familiar with marine applications and had it rebuilt for $34. It sounds like new now.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
larry williams View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 11:14am
thats what I thought considering that my prop spins to the left, but what about all of the engines that spin to the right a reverse rotation starter would be of no use then right?

thanks- leaking water from somewhere
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 12:23pm
Marine starters have extra shielding to prevent the sparks from igniting flamable vapors as kenny g alluded to. If you have yours rebuilt, be sure the shop is familiar with marine applications (KA-BOOM!).

If your prop is marked "LH" then your engine is not "reverse" rotation. I think all Correct Crafts are "RH" props which are "reverse" rotation. If you are standing behind your boat looking at your prop and the top of the prop spins to the right, it is "RH" (right-hand) rotation. It should also say "RH" or "LH" on the prop hub.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 7:50pm
your local shop can rebuild the starter for either rotation.
just be sure to start with a marine unit.
be safe!
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic