NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique Excel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique Excel
    Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:26pm
I came across a 93 Excel open bow for sale and I was curious if I would notice a huge difference over our 83? By the pictures it looks like it would have more freeboard and more space and storage. The only thing I see that's not the best is to sit in the bow it's a step up and over the dash. Also are they a unique boat?

Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:32am
They are a unique boat...... For Correct Craft. Not a lot of OB Excels made....

The PlayPen up front is very small and not deep. You don't want very small kids up there alone and most adults don't want to be up there either. It is the same as a SNOB of that era..... no diff. Walk through windshield is really nice for docking/tying up and air flow on hot days.

Excels are GREAT runabouts and family boats but don't do anything really well. Pretty terrible slalom boats, average trick boats as the wake is washy and good wakeboard boats for new - intermediate riders. I am told (by Uncle Todd) that the Barefoot wake is very good. The Excels handle like a dump truck and the Barefoots handle like a loaded dump truck.

They are the most comfortable Correct Craft 20ft boat ever made. They are perfect for families and maintain the lines of the Classic Ski Boat. Storage is immense without a tower. I love Excels! Had an Excel and sought out a Barefoot. But I am one of the few........... I don't like driving them in a course, or behind one with my Slalom ski on.... but the rest of the time it was a great boat to raise the family in..... it IS NOT like an 83 in ANY way.... It is, however, the perfect 2nd Nautique.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:39am
BTW - If it is a Gray 93 OB with a Teal secondary, I think I know that owner...........
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:54am
I remember one pulling me at a barefoot endurance tournament, found myself outside the wake and wanting to go in the wake due to chop, and found the wake to be what appeared to be at knee-height wtf. Though the table inside it looked very nice, i forgot my stepladder.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:54am
Steve is spot on. He knows a thing or two about Excels
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:34am
Steve knows best having had one, and described it as I would, a fun all around boat, but not great at anything in particular. the only thing I would add, having been around a friend's a bit is that with the 351 vs the 454, it is a bit sluggish. I could barefoot with it, but it took a while to get there. Not sure of top speed, but my impression was, sluggish.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:49am
The ideal overall powerplant for an Excel is a ProBoss 351..... The 454 are gas hogs and really change handling due to the rearward weight...... there's no CC that will nose up on acceleration like an Excel BFN. Hence, the secret weapon on my BFN....

I had the 240 HP Excel..... it did dog up to slalom and BF speeds...... but handled a lot better than the Footer does.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:50am
BTW - I would love to put a 6L in the BFN..... maybe at 1200 hrs.......
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

BTW - I would love to put a 6L in the BFN..... maybe at 1200 hrs.......

Factory build sheet for my Excel said 47 mph water test... for the Footer - 49 mph, though it doesn't do that now.....
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 12:42pm

BTW - If it is a Gray 93 OB with a Teal secondary, I think I know that owner...........

I think this is the boat in question.

I passed on a red 93 Excel open bow with dual bucket seats years back. Haven't seen another one setup like that since.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:00pm
Yep... That's Rodger's old boat...... gotta be.

His boat still has original decals - unusual for Excels. '93 and '94 faired better than 91-92's.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

I passed on a red 93 Excel open bow with dual bucket seats years back. Haven't seen another one setup like that since.

Was it an Excel at Adirondack?   There also was a nice private party Cranberry in NH.....
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:18pm
Are Excels, regardless of year, wood stringer boats?? That has always been the word on the street wondering if anyone has definitively confirmed that??
And if so would an OB require the entire deck being removed to do a stringer replacement??
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:18pm
It was the one at Adirondack Marine. They wanted $17,900 and it was out of my price range back then. The one in NH was an open bow with dual buckets? I've only seen a couple of closed bows with the buckets. The one at Adirondack Marine was the only open bow I've seen with the buckets. How long ago was the NH excel for sale?
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:35pm
Yes that is the boat, I thought for what its priced at might be a good upgrade with the options it has. It does have the 351 and I was also curious if it has wood stringers in it? Overall was it a good boat?

Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:38pm
Also would it have a better wakeboard wake and be able to surf over a 83?
1983 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:47pm
by what I have heard, and Steve can jump in and clarify but I don't think the v-ish hull lends itself to a great wakeboarding wake. I think the riders complain that it is mushy, even tho the V-drive makes it bigger.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:08pm
Call me if you want..... I know some about Excels and this one particularly, maybe a little too.    
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:28pm
Both those NE boats were very interesting for me.....

The NH Boat was a PERFECT Cran/Gray (Best color combo IMHO) but dual buckets....yuk.

The Adirondack boat had dual buckets, a 454 and a factory full height pylon.... VERY strange and WAAAAAYYYYY too expensive. I have been shopping for Excels since 2004 (when we sold our Excel). My Barefoot finished the search (altho there is an interesting Blue Boat out there).

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Are Excels, regardless of year, wood stringer boats?? That has always been the word on the street.
   I have nothing to deny those rumors......

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

........And if so would an OB require the entire deck being removed to do a stringer replacement??
   No........ It's like a SNOB, not a Sport.... plus, in an Excel the main stringers are wider than a DD. There is a lot of bow either way..... not a fun place to re-string either way.....
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 12:01am
Looks like Steve took care of this, but I will add 2 things.

1. The open bow might be one of the rarest non limited edition CC's, rumor on the 2001 was there were only about 65. It makes a great gear storage place.

2. It doesn't surf, I'm guessing that it has something to do with all lifting strakes and have not tried an NSS type set up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic