Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New to the forum... needing some general advise.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the forum... needing some general advise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
justinsweber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the forum... needing some general advise.
    Posted: March-19-2015 at 5:46pm
Let me preference everything buy saying this is my 1st boat and its been a bit overwhelming.
I have a 1981 Correct Craft with a 351W/Holly 4bbl carb. I bought it off ebay thinking it was a runner, When I went to pick it up, it ran and sounded good. The next day she wouldn’t start, leaving me stranded in the harbor… I now have boat assist and a running boat… but want to make some upgrades (Car guy thinking) and 1 issue.

The boat has required extensive work… ~7K worth (Money spent… I’m sure there may have been a way to do cheaper but not what happened.) The boat has now had, new fuel filter, new battery cables, ignition rewired (Had a MSD6A wired in), installed a pertronix module, with the motor retimed, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs. 1 cylinder was 30lbs lower on the compression test so the heads were rebuilt and converted to hardened seats. There was a rear main seal leak and the engine came out for a new rear main seal. The carb was rebuilt (some rejecting) and a wedge placed under the carb as it was bogging off idle.

At this point the boat runs well… The Wedge seems to have helped the bogging of the motor though I have not done a sea trial to confirm. My concern is that it seems that the boat does not idle in gear low enough… If you set the idle to 600rpms is seems to run poorly. If I turn the idle up, I can put around the harbor slow enough. Once upon a time I was ok at setting up carbs, but am not at this point. I feel like the carb is either too large or poorly setup. The after its last adjustment it seems to run much better on the trailer, but have yet to try on the water.

Upgrades… Should I buy an Edelbrock and then make basic adjustments? I don’t need it for top end… really just want the ability to idle around and use on the lake.

Long term, I want to swap on an Edelbrock Al. intake, new pertronix flamethrower ignition and a gear reduction starter… The intake and start should shave 40lbs off the engine and gussy it up some.

As an aside, if there is a good carb guy in OC/LA area... who will tune the carb in the water, please please let me know... really could use the help.

Thank you,

Justin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:15pm
Justin - welcome to the club.   From what you described, It sounds like you are not too mechanically inclined?    If you are, now is a good time to roll up your sleeves, do some forum searching, then go wrenching.   For what you paid for this boat initially, and the 7k you invested in tune up items, it sounds like you should maybe develop a cost threshold that would be your maximum dollar for this boat.   An 81's ski is likely only worth in the 3-5k range, or not much more for a very nice running example. Many of the boats on this site have more invested than they are worth on the street, so no ill will is intended, I just think you need to know what you're getting into before you go down this road.    

Tuning a carb, if you are willing to learn, takes some time, but is easily accomplished if you read through this site and understand the tutorial threads.   There are some good tutorial threads on the issue, you'll just need to search them out.   there is a TON of info here that will be useful to you as you experience the joys (and challenges) of this boat first hand.   I know I didn't answer your questions, I am not the most experienced here, so I'll leave your questions to the pro's.   I will say though, that you need to get the components you already have dialed in before you add any aftermarket stuff... you need a baseline to see if the component you just added makes the boat perform poorly, or if it was money well spent. We love pictures! :)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:36pm
Hi Justin. One thing that comes to mind right away is how are you setting the idle? In the water,in gear? 650 to 700 is what PCM recommends. Do you happen to know what size prop is on it too? Another thing you can do is call the Holley tech line and give them the list number off the airhorn, see pic below and they can tell you what the carb is. You need to make sure its a marine one and same with the starter. If your engine is an original right hand turning one you'll need a starter to match. Automotive engines turn left.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:39pm
I’m reasonably inclined… new to boats. I forgot to add that the exhaust manifolds, upper and lower were rusted out and were replaced as well. I realize in 5K more than the boat is worth… but I’m hoping to have a runner at this point… seems I do. After this season, I’ll need new carpet, but that’s pretty easy. I guess I’ll get to reading regarding tuning the carb… do most on here keep with Holley carbs or go Edlebrock/AFB? Edlebrock let you change the metering on the fly… seems a bit more user friendly.
Anybody sell a carpet kit?

Thanks for the input... Ill post some pic tonight. :-).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:48pm
Holleys for the most part,thats what PCM put on them. But like everything there are a few who try to swim against the current,matter of fact there are a few who even have Chevy's in them too
By the way if you do have a marine carb and it's the right size for the engine,Holley can give you the factory jetting sizes etc and then you can check yours to see if someone has changed things,oem was a 600 cfm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 6:55pm
Sounds like you are adjusting the idle set screw and not the idle mix. Might want to take a look at the idle mixture screws on the primary side and how they are adjusted if you haven't already.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 1:46am
Glad I'm not the only one in for way more than my Correct Craft is worth. I am in the LA/OC area as well. Where do you usually boat? Throw up some pictures when you get a chance too!
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by justinsweber justinsweber wrote:

I’m reasonably inclined… new to boats. I forgot to add that the exhaust manifolds, upper and lower were rusted out and were replaced as well. I realize in 5K more than the boat is worth… but I’m hoping to have a runner at this point… seems I do. After this season, I’ll need new carpet, but that’s pretty easy. I guess I’ll get to reading regarding tuning the carb… do most on here keep with Holley carbs or go Edlebrock/AFB? Edlebrock let you change the metering on the fly… seems a bit more user friendly.
Anybody sell a carpet kit?

Thanks for the input... Ill post some pic tonight. :-).

I run a carter AFB on my Camaro. The engine is modified, so changing metering rods without empting the fuel bowls was nice during the tuning process.

However, if you are not modifying your engine set-up it would be a waste of money (in my opinion) to change from Holley to AFB. As Gary said, check the jet sizes and make sure you have the right size power valve. The Power valves in a Holley do the same thing as the metering rods in an AFB.

I've seen some discussion on what power valve to use, but I was happy with the 6.5 when ran a Holley on my boat.

If you want, I can post the correct jet sizes?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 2:49pm
Bunch of ideas, sorry if not well organized.
Hey guys... RE where to boat... I’m not sure. I used to take my jetski on the ocean and that was a blast. I’m pretty sure I want to keep the boat freshwater.
Re: Idle mix vs idle set screw.. I haven’t messed with the mix screws. I remember how to do it well using a vacuum gage so I’ve ordered one. I agree that as I’m not farting with the setup a AFB is not wise money. I do think in time an Al intake will be done... The Edlebock intakes have always been a good replacement for cast iron... least on my trucks.
So re: Carb setup. An ideas? What the correct jets? What options I should consider on the power valve? The shop installed a wedge under the carb and seems to keep it more level. Once I have the jetting right and the power valve selected, I’ll turn my attention to setting the floats while the boat is in the water.
Any other issues to consider? What do you guys idle at in neutral or in gear?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2015 at 2:50pm
skitique179: If youre willing Id love some aid in gettig the carb dialed in. Everyting else seems in order.

Thanks everyone!
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by justinsweber justinsweber wrote:

What the correct jets?

The main jets are 662's. I think that # means the diameter of the jet opening is .0662".

I'll have to strip down the carb further to find the secondary jet size. More info coming.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 6:58pm
66 is the jet size, not sure what the 2 means.

A 4160 won't have (replaceable) jets in the rear, it has a fixed plate.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

66 is the jet size, not sure what the 2 means.

Apparently Holley called these close limit jets. The tolerances were kept tighter if the third number was added. For all practical purposes they are .066" jets like you said.

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't remember if there were removable jets behind that plate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 7:40pm
Thanks guys. Is the 6.5 the right power valve?
Anyone ever use off road floats?
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:25pm
I tried both power valves:

2.5 - waits longer to open (or enrichen) as engine load increases
6.5 - richens the mixture faster with less engine load than the 2.5

I didn't have a wideband AFR gauge, on so its really hard to say which one is better. It could of been all in my head, but the engine seemed to respond smoother with the 6.5. Try the 2.5, I think it comes with the rebuild kit from skidim.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 10:57pm
Before you even mess with the carb you should check your timing. There should be plenty of info here on timing your engine.

Once timing is set:

1. Use a vacuum gauge. ($15 at harbor freight)

2. Put the boat in gear on the trailer at the ramp. You have to set the 600-700rmps under a load.

3. You have to set your screws for max vacuum.

Its pretty imparative that you use this method. Just turning screws until it sounds good won't work.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 10:58pm
Most everyone is happier with 6.5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 3:20pm
Whats the in gear (Prop turning)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 3:22pm
If in gear on trailer (what ever we are defining as in gear) the idle should be between 600-700rpms under load. Ok... and what is the recomended timing?

The shop said they "fattened" the jetting. I plan to buy #66 jets. Should I get #68 for a "fatter" or more rich setting too just in case? I dont know if they drilled the jet or replaced it. Ill assume they did it wrong and will be plesantly suprised if Im wrong.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 6:17pm
8 degree BTDC is a good start.

Try this procedure:

-Warm the boat up at the boat ramp, on the trailer, with the boat in the water.

-shut the engine off

-Turn both idle mixture screws all the way in (clockwise) until they are seated or can't move.

-Turn both idle mixture screws out 4 revolutions (counterclockwise). Yes this is rich, but the engine should run.

-Hook up the vacuum gauge

-start the engine

-Move the shifter into forward (into gear)

-Adjust idle screw (not mixture screws) until the engine is idling at 700 RPM

-Turn each idle mixture screw a half turn at a time (clockwise). Take note on the vacuum gauge if the vacuum level drops.

-Keep doing this in half turn increments (clockwise) until you notice a vacuum level drop (or RPM drop).

-After you notice a vacuum level drop, turn the screw counterclockwise a half turn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 6:30pm
I need a version of that which I can do with the boat on the trailer... In the harbor Im close by... its drop and go... I dont feel comfortable doing that stuff in the harbor.

Anything on the trailer... Happy to try.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 10:40am
-Warm the boat up on the trailer

-shut the engine off

-Turn both idle mixture screws all the way in (clockwise) until they are seated or can't move.

-Turn both idle mixture screws out 4 revolutions (counterclockwise). Yes this is rich, but the engine should run.

-Hook up the vacuum gauge

-start the engine

-Adjust idle screw (not mixture screws) until the engine is idling at 800 RPM

-Turn each idle mixture screw a half turn at a time (clockwise). Take note on the vacuum gauge if the vacuum level drops.

-Keep doing this in half turn increments (clockwise) until you notice a vacuum level drop (or RPM drop).

-After you notice a vacuum level drop, turn the screw counterclockwise a half turn

When you get on the water after this, you will have to dial in the idle RPM in forward (prop spinning). If the idle mixture is off, it will be on the lean side. This is why its more accurate to set it when the engine has load on it (prop spinning, at idle, pushing the boat).

Also, keep in mind that if you have vacuum leak this whole process will be a waste of time. Carburetors are very sensitive to vacuum at idle. They need vacuum to pull fuel into the intake manifold. If there is vacuum leak, they don't pull enough fuel causing a lean condition. Make sure your PCV valve is closed at idle and there are no cracks in the PCV hose. Also, make sure your carburetor and wedge spacer is bolted tight to the intake manifold.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 11:06am
I wouldn't bother with the above procedure without a load. Put the idle mixture screws 2.5 turns out and dial back the rpm to 700-750. That'd be as close as I bothered to get on the trailer. Setting the mixture screws for max vacuum while in gear on the water and dialing back that rpm to 650 will still be required. I find you sometimes need to make small adjustments after this to dial in the no-throttle key starts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 3:40pm
Does anyone have a pic of where I can get manifold vacume? I dotn have the carb infront of me... Ill be bring to a lake tomorrow and dont want any suprises :-)
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 4:20pm
You can unplug the PCV valve and use that input. I think you'll need a 3/8" x 3/16" reducer nipple to get the vacuum gauge hose on it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 4:31pm
The port should be one the rear of the carb spacer plate. I believe the PCV valve connects to it (at least it does on my motor (351W).

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 4:37pm
PCV is constant manifold presure?
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 5:09pm
Yes.

There are no ported vacuum connections on a marine Holley.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 5:12pm
On a newer one there are. Original carb, use the Pcv port on the spacer. But I wouldn't get too hung up on adjusting for max vacuum if you're not going to put it under load.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinsweber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 6:16pm
I plan to get the needed adapter fitting and a vac gage and take her to the water tomorrow and a tire kicking sessions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic