Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First start after rebuild GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First start after rebuild GT40
    Posted: January-17-2015 at 1:00pm
Well going to give this a try in a little bit. Fuel primed - 39 at the rail. Oil pump and filter primed. 40 psi on the gauge using a 3/8" corded drill and oil primer tool. Poor drill isn't happy with me. Timing set at just before TDC to fire on compression stroke. Battery fully charged. Using Comp Cams break in oil. What else should I check? Missing anything obvious?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 1:24pm
I'd want more details on that oil. Loaded with zinc/phos? 30w?

You familiar with the proper way to break in a cam?
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 2:43pm
Yes, it is high in zinc and phosphorous. Not street legal. Running at 2000 to 3000 rpm for a half hour. Read many articles on flat tappet break in. Missed the neutral safety switch. It.stumped me for a minute.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

What else should I check? Missing anything obvious?

Jim,
You've probably thought about it but what about cooling water if you are running it in the driveway or on a stand?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 2:58pm
It's on the hose. Plenty of water.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:21pm
3000 rpms for 30 minutes on a hose?
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Depending on the hose length, the standard 5/8-inch garden hose delivers about 17 gallons per minute. Larger hoses, such as a 3/4-inch hose, deliver up to 23 gallons per minute based on the average water pressure for your hose bib of about 40 psi.
I feel that's more than enough as long as there is at least 40 PSI which is the norm. I've seen PSI's as high as 60.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:45pm
Not much choice I am in Denver and every lake is frozen. It will cost me some money for sure since that was a 1/2" pipe out of the house with a large diameter hose. The engine never exceeded 160 and the raw water filter always had plenty of water in it. I've run my boat and others this way from a bucket and not a single boat can suck more water than my hose supplies. Also the last plumber I had out to the house said we might need a water pressure restrictor of some kind since our water pressure at the house is the maximum recommended.

Thought I would also add these links for others.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1108-camshaft-break-in-guide/

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-%27Lubricants%27-0.aspx

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/FlatTappetCamTechBulletin.pdf
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:51pm
Tim has a valid point. I hope you have an idea as to your water flow and keeping up at 3000 rpm's. My mechanics house water can't keep up with my boat off a 3/4" hose 50' long. At my house my well pressure cuts off at 38 and on 150' 3/4" hose it will pump quicker than my boat can suck it.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Depending on the hose length, the standard 5/8-inch garden hose delivers about 17 gallons per minute. Larger hoses, such as a 3/4-inch hose, use up to 23 gallons per minute. The average water pressure for your hose bib produces about 40 psi.
I feel that's more than enough as long as there is at least 40 PSI which is the norm. I've seen PSI's as high as 60.

I think the plumber said we were over 60 psi. Plenty of water pressure at this house.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 8:34pm
Once it starts and the engine is warm re tighten all hose clamps. Once warm the hoses are soft and you can get proper tension. Do it once warm and you are good to go.
Watch the temp and oil pressure close while doing the break in.   A new engine will run hot at first, should not be an issue with garden hose cooling but watch it close. Look for oil and water leaks.
If your gas is more than 5 mos old replace it with fresh gas. Old gas can cause valves to stick and ruin your new engine.   Good luck with the start up.
Sealed Power says 20 minutes at 1,500 to 2,500 rpm is good for Cam Break-in.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 8:55pm
Thanks everyone! It went well today. Only big issue was the neutral safety switch was not in sync with the shifter. I just have to move the shifter back and forth. Other minor issue was the spot I put the distributor in did not allow me to advance it enough. It hit the engine and would not rotate far enough(It is a flat squared off side instead of completely round). I just pulled it out and rotate it another 15 degrees or so and made sure I had good play in both directions to make adjustments while it was running.

Sounds darn good and hopefully the cam survived the first 30 minute break in.

Video's
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Tim has a valid point. I hope you have an idea as to your water flow and keeping up at 3000 rpm's. My mechanics house water can't keep up with my boat off a 3/4" hose 50' long. At my house my well pressure cuts off at 38 and on 150' 3/4" hose it will pump quicker than my boat can suck it.

I think the plumber said we were over 60 psi. Plenty of water pressure at this house.

Thanks everyone! It went well today.

Todd,
The water pressure is extremely important and will greatly influence GPM. It sounds like your mechanics pressure is on the low side but since you left out that important spec, it's hard to tell. Your pump turns off at 38 PSI but whats the delta P? That is important as well. Your 150' of hose sure doesn't help much ether. You may very well see a 10 PSI drop with that length. The 3/4" hose is good but what size pipe are you feeding the sill cock with and the pipe length?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 11:14am
Pete,
My bib is a 3/4' coming off a 2.5" pipe 24" from my 6" well (yes 6", old citrus grove). I need to choke my water down when running my boat to prevent a flood. My mechanics house, unknown conditions other than I know it's city water which is a steady 36. But back to the original statement, when breaking in a new motor on a bucket, as a general overlooked rule, make sure you can supply the water needed. I never thought about it but breaking in a motor at Woody's house isn't possible.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

. But back to the original statement, when breaking in a new motor on a bucket, as a general overlooked rule, make sure you can supply the water needed.

Agreed... a lot of talking up there to confuse those who don't want to get a civil engineering degree to hook up their hose... but the advise remains the same
-breaking in an engine takes a lot of water, not all hoses are up to the job and you can't stop once you get started without risk. So better to check it out before hand - Chris Mars lost some paint over this back in october.

Glad to see this project is working out !
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic