Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1978 CC Ski Nautique Engine Type & Mystery Box?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 CC Ski Nautique Engine Type & Mystery Box?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WheelsUpATX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 CC Ski Nautique Engine Type & Mystery Box?
    Posted: December-08-2014 at 10:54pm
Two Questions: Motor Type and What is this metal box?

I have a 1978 Correct Craft Ski Nautique. My Engine Motor # is CM56127R yet I am not sure exactly what model engine that is does anyone know? My mechanic said it's a Crusader model, I can't seem to find anything online. The Outdrive # is 1560 not sure what that is? Any engine experts out there know what model motor I have?

The reason I need to know is 1. I sound like an idiot not knowing. and #2 see this picture I am trying to figure out if this little metal box might be affecting my engine from starting. The boat ran fine all year and recently my mechanic changed up the wiring. The boat worked fine for a while but I had a battery issue that was causing problems starting. Now after another mechanic visit my mechanic has advised me to look into this box and try and replace as it might be part of the reason the engine isn't turning over. See link to the pic. It's a small metal box and it doesn't look very old compared to some of the other items on my engine. It has "5MC" stamped on the back but no other part #'s or ID.

Metal box from a distance

close up:

1978 Correct Craft
Twitter: WheelsupATX
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2014 at 11:03pm
Voltage regulator.

Better pics of the engine would be helpful. The id # is unlikely to help. Exhaust manifolds and paint color make Commander a good guess with nothing else to go on.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2014 at 11:03pm
Lisa? is that you?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:00am
Thank you Grand Poobah! @ Baitkiller I am not Lisa so no it's not me.

The last time I took the boat I barely got it started at the boat launch. After a few jumps I got it started and was afraid to turn off the engine so we ran around for about 30-40 minutes. I shut the boat down and BARELY got it to start a second time. I decided to leave the engine on and drive around for 20 more minutes, at idle the engine finally quit and the battery was flat out dead so no luck starting again. I assumed it might be the alternator. I yanked the alternator and had it tested, it passed. Auto Zone tested my battery which was less than a year old and gave me a free replacement they said it was basically dead so I thought the new battery would fix the problem. New battery and functional alternator I couldn't get the boat to start at all now. It was starting immediately before I started having this electrical issue as my mechanic re-wired the ignition and cleaned up some of the wiring it was starting like a champ. My mechanic thinks it's this voltage regulator box, he told me to look into fixing this and see if that does it b/c the coil isn't showing anything north of 7-8V and it looks like it pulls from that box so that's where my mechanic said I should check, either that or maybe a bad coil but my coil is brand new and my brother insists that coils don't just go bad in their first few months usually. I am going to try and get a voltage regulator from Auto Parts store and see if that works. Thanks so much for the reply. This forum is awesome. I hope to give back as I learn more. Sincerely, BOAT- BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!
1978 Correct Craft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:37am
Dan,
I hate to say this but I feel you need to find another mechanic! He "thinks" it's the voltage regulator! He told YOU to check it? Ether a problem with the voltage regulator or ignition coil are pretty basic to diagnose. When you say the boat won't start, it sounds like the engine won't turn over correct? But then you mention a "coil" which would affect the engine actually firing. Can you fill us in with more info?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 1:41am
haha yeah @8122pbrainard I think my mechanic is more sick of me than the boat itself. I was a little trigger shy on posting as I was worried I might not be clear enough. The engine will not start up, the starter is going and it's trying to start but no ignition whatsoever. We have brand new battery. Will post a video of this tomorrow... It's the same sound an engine makes when it's not getting any fuel but we know its getting fuel so I think it's the spark/electrical type problem.... Alternator, starter are fine, brand new battery. We recently put in a new ignition switch and did some re-wiring as the key switch was not wired correctly. He made some wiring adjustments and changes that I am not 100% up to speed on but I was told to do a voltage check on this voltage regulator and report back in. That would explain why the voltage at the coil is sub 10V right? Maybe the regulator is t*ts up? Thanks for your patience on all of this, I sell software and airplanes, don't know squat about boats. However I'm stoked to learn more and I am learning! Thanks again for all of your comments. This forum is awesome.
1978 Correct Craft
NautiqueNut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 4:55am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Lisa? is that you?

Baitkiller , You could eat off of my engine after my real mechanic reworked my PCM ford 351 to original \I will say that its a Crusader engine and 1:1 velvet drive in the picture I see. Boat and engine need some attention I would say, but to each his own.
It was not to late for my 78
!978 Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:00am
Your coil is getting less than 10v because there's a resistor ahead of it punching it down as the coil doesn't like a good 13.6. I agree with Pete, find a new mechanic! Voltage regulators usually don't go bad.... Come to think of it , I've never replaced one and all the ones I've ever seen or had were all original. If your "mechanic" straightened out the ignition wiring, I'd strongly suspect that to be the problem. Dumb question, you don't have a safety kill switch do you? Or perhaps a hole where there was one say around the throttle?

And I'd lean towards Commander on engine. Wasn't Crusader a lighter blue and the glimpse of that manifold elbow sure looks like a Commander log.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 11:12am
Get a new "mechanic" x3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:16pm
I'll make note on the mechanic. If anyone knows a good mechanic in Austin TX where I can get some help with this boat let me know. Also regarding my engine and condition of the boat (I will post more pics) I scored this boat from a friend that let it sit outside and stopped caring for it and it didn't move for 4-5 years sitting outside uncovered. I've been restoring it slowly, I am going to publish a library of pics b/c I have some questions about the hull and other projects I'd like to take on. Thanks for the tips on the coil and the resistor, etc. I need to get out a paper and trace this out and follow a few wires and get some better answers. I have also heard the voltage regulators don't go bad as I've seen the inside of them and it doesn't look like anything that would go bad easily. I will look for a safety kill switch. I don't have one that I know of but might be a nice thing to have come to think of it! Will do some investigating today and report back with some pics. I would buy all of you a beer if I could for the advice. thanks so much. We need an online beer thing on here where u can automatically give the guy with the best tips a beer? cheers y'all.
1978 Correct Craft
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:38pm
WheelsUpATX     
Sorry fellas, I was mistaking . That is most likely a Commander as in 1978 Correct Craft offered the PCM Ford and the Commander Ford. I was dreaming in my sleep last night. Also the box is the voltage regulator.
When I bought my 1978 in 2012 before it was restored, the main issue was that the wire harness in the boat had fried the voltage regulator and the alternator. According to my mechanic once the correct wiring was done to the original diagram, and the shorted out and spliced wires were replaced. Bingo, Motor fired up on the second crank, and all systems were go! The wiring in a boat that old is a big and costly issue if it had not been maintained. Lisa
!978 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:49pm
Okay I'll look into that as well. The wiring harness was also modified and changed up. I am going to get the voltage regulator as I think I can get that at a auto parts store rather easily. My brother sent me this link does this resonate with anyone? http://www.junkyardgenius.com/charging/ford02.html
1978 Correct Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by WheelsUpATX WheelsUpATX wrote:

The engine will not start up, the starter is going and it's trying to start but no ignition whatsoever.

We have brand new battery.

Since the boat has been sitting for all those years, did your "mechanic" use the point file on the point set? How is he checking for spark?

Regarding the battery, hopefully it's not a deep cycle and a starting type. You never know what those Autozone guys will give/sell you! Find another auto supply!

BTW, check out the FAQ thread in the maintenance section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 1:24pm
The boat ran all summer and it was sparking fine, I am pretty sure he used the point file on the point set. Engine was great up until this recent electrical problem. I know its a marine battery but I agree on the auto parts guys. Will double check and I'm going to check out the FAQ section on maint.
1978 Correct Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by WheelsUpATX WheelsUpATX wrote:

I know its a marine battery but I agree on the auto parts guys.

Marine batteries come in starting, deep cycle and combination forms so do check what you ended up with. The only thing a marine battery gives you these days is the threaded studs besides the lugs. Many here run regular automotive batteries without issues. I do! Save a few $$. There's some threads on the subject. If the battery does turn out to be a deep cycle, save it for your trolling motor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 3:04pm
The battery is Duralast Marine- Starting and Deep Cycle - however it doesn't have any other ID on it. It also doesn't have the cranking amps listed. When they gave it to me there was some uncertainty but based on what you are telling me I think battery is ok.
Engine is CM1-90-930 Commander?

Here's a link to some pics. http://imgur.com/a/YGiSp
I can't seem to get the link to work in this forum I guess you have to copy paste?

Having trouble with the links, ahh this is better...

1978 Correct Craft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 3:58pm
Okay I think I'm incorrect about the motor as that's all the drive train #'s. Can't seem to find numbers on the block...
1978 Correct Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 3:59pm
Dan,
Here's your link. For direct linking on CCfan, go to "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the world icon with the up arrow. The first box is your description of the link and the second is where you paste the address.

The combination battery you have will work but it is a compromise and may die early. Yup, don't go to Autozone! We, including myself have interesting stories about the place!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 4:05pm
Thanks for the tips! Both of them! The battery did finally die and it definitely died early. My main concern is getting the boat started again so we'll work with that and then I will get a different battery. thanks for all the help!
1978 Correct Craft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 4:07pm
Is this the right way to identify the engine #? Seems as if my starter is blocking my view and I would need to disconnect to identify my engine here..
1978 Correct Craft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 5:09pm
The casting number of the block won't tell us anything- it's obviously a 351w. Post a pic of the front of the engine so we can see the thermostat housing, accessories, plumbing,etc... But based on that case piece it seems my early guess of it being a Commander is correct. What else are you trying to determine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:14pm
I can't get the engine to start. It will not turn over, it's not getting spark. Recently my mechanic came by to winterize and did some trouble shooting and told me it's most likely the little box he thinks might be bad. So I just purchased a new voltage regulator today and no luck, nothing is different. The battery is good and new and it seems like the coil isn't getting the power it needs from what I've gathered. My mechanic said it's most likely the coil or the voltage regulator. I just replaced the voltage regulator and nothing. The only thing that's changed along this process is the alternator was taken off for testing and put back on. My alternator only had two wires going in and out of it which another friend pointed out was strange. I think the heart of the matter ties into this post earlier.

"When I bought my 1978 in 2012 before it was restored, the main issue was that the wire harness in the boat had fried the voltage regulator and the alternator. According to my mechanic once the correct wiring was done to the original diagram, and the shorted out and spliced wires were replaced. Bingo, Motor fired up on the second crank, and all systems were go! The wiring in a boat that old is a big and costly issue if it had not been maintained"

I think the best strategy moving forward will be to start wire by wire and map it all out and make sure it's in line with the manual. Or maybe take it to a local shop since I've lost faith in the mechanic that I basically spent upwards of $2500 getting me up to this point. I found a local shop that I didn't know about where all they do is boats. I have exceeded my budget so I was hoping to take matters into my own hands more as $$ is a concern. I feel like I really need to troubleshoot battery, keyswitch, alternator, solenoid, voltage regulator and coil wiring to make sure it's all in check. voltage check at the coil was low 6-7.
1978 Correct Craft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:18pm
You're going to have a hard time getting appropriate answers using incorrect terminology.

turn over = rotate under the starter's power

This happens with or without spark at the plugs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:23pm
Thanks Hollywood. It's turning over for sure. It ain't getting no spark. I appreciate the correction.
1978 Correct Craft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:31pm
If you are half way handy and half way intelligent, you need a wiring diagram and a multimeter (an a little bit of assistance from us). You don't need to know anything more about your engine in order to troubleshoot- they were all wired pretty much the same from that time period.

Accurate descriptions of what you're experiencing like HW mentioned will help too!

I created a pictorial schematic of sorts that will help you get started... It's been reposted at least a dozen times- any search for "wiring" or "schematic" should turn it up in short order.

You'll have to supply the multimeter and the common sense.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 6:40pm
Sounds good. I got the multimeter and a six pack I think I can figure it out. Thanks again for all the help.
1978 Correct Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 7:59pm
Dan,
I know I asked about the point set in the distributor but it just occurred to me you may have a EI (electronic) module in the distributor and not a point set. If so, has it been checked and how? You said the coil is getting power correct?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How is he checking for spark?

Again, how are you (or your "mechanic") checking for spark? We need better input from you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 9:07pm
You could remove the cap and take a picture and post it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You could remove the cap and take a picture and post it.

Thanks Gary. I forgot to ask Dan for a picture!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2014 at 12:20am
DAN, The wire diagram you need is TRBenj: Fast find it under
(1980 Ski Nautique wiring diagram, Correct Craft Fan.com) This was posted by Pbrainard, 4/19/2007. I found this for my mechanic two years ago and he said it was excellent. Thanks TRBenj /Pbrainard. Please note:
They used a 4 wire alternator on the PCM ford not sure what is on yours.
You said 2 wire, is there now so as you said things may have changed, I had my 4 wire rebuilt to original. So the diagram was good for us. Also I was told that some alternator replacement's are 2,3, wire etc. making it more confusing and can be (internal and or external) voltage regulated. Also I found out as the process for me progressed that (Tined wire is used not stuff bought at Home Depo).Buy this at any Marine store. Also wire gage is important and not covered in the diagram and international color code has changed over the years.
Home wiring and boat wiring are also different as night and day.
I feel your boat engine wiring looks pretty original and if you check all the wire's you can visually for breaks and bad connections things will turn around for you on this. I did see a few wires in the picture that seemed to be questionable the one 8" from the alternator for one . This splice is what my boat was full of. One more thing, In the old days they used Amp meters in the dash, vs: Volt meter's. This is also very important to look at the way its wired, as they are very different in how it is wired. I was told all this by my mechanic who did my 1978.
!978 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic