Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Correct Craft Barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Correct Craft Barracuda
    Posted: November-29-2014 at 1:21am
Forum Members:

I apologize for taking my frustrations out on the entire forum. I own, appreciate and restore, or at least re-do, Correct Craft boats. Leaving the forum spites no one but myself. I look forward to future discussions and hope to be able to make positive contributions regarding the preservation, in any form, of Correct Craft boats.

Here is the web address of my Restoration Photo Log of the 1986 Ski Nautique we recently restored. We will begin work on a nearly identical 1982 next week. The owner has requested the same interior treatment as we gave the 1986:

http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/main/1986-ski-nautique/

This is the web address for the Restoration Photo Log of the 1963 CC Debonnaire:

http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/main/1963-correct-craft/

I have attached three photos taken this afternoon of the 1969 CC Barracuda. All that remains to do is install the engine and the outside aluminum rub rail. The owner provided the upholstery and we scrubbed it as clean as it would come.

Not to rub salt into any wounds but I have also attached a photo of a 1954 Atom Skier which I converted to dual cockpit runabout configuration at the owner's request.

Striving for mediocrity !
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 3:45am
hello nautilus.i hope my 69 barracuda ss turns out as nice as yours when it is done.keep up you work.original or not wee need to keep them still on the water.dan in ohio
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 3:48am
hello nautilus.i hope my 69 barracuda ss turns out as nice as yours when it is done.keep up your good work.original or not we need to keep them still on the water.dan in ohio
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 9:10am
Nice work! Keep the pictures coming please as we all love seeing photos. Glad to have you back.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 9:59am
'Cuda looks great,I can just imagine the hours involved. Did you do the paint? Is the whole hull the same paint or is something else used on the bottom? Since the interior matches is it safe to assume it was orange to begin with? I just Imron'd my Shamrock this summer so I know the time,expense and the amount of work you went thru on just the hull alone not to mention stringers,electrical work etc. Great job!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Nautilus Nautilus wrote:

Forum Members:

I apologize for taking my frustrations out on the entire forum. I own, appreciate and restore, or at least re-do, Correct Craft boats. Leaving the forum spites no one but myself. I look forward to future discussions and hope to be able to make positive contributions regarding the preservation, in any form, of Correct Craft boats.

Here is the web address of my Restoration Photo Log of the 1986 Ski Nautique we recently restored. We will begin work on a nearly identical 1982 next week. The owner has requested the same interior treatment as we gave the 1986:

http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/main/1986-ski-nautique/

This is the web address for the Restoration Photo Log of the 1963 CC Debonnaire:

http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/main/1963-correct-craft/

I have attached three photos taken this afternoon of the 1969 CC Barracuda. All that remains to do is install the engine and the outside aluminum rub rail. The owner provided the upholstery and we scrubbed it as clean as it would come.

Jan,
Keep on working on those CC's!
Just to help out, the CCfan site doesn't automatically create links.

Here's your first link
And your second link

For direct links, go to "post rely" rather than "quick reply". Clicking on the world icon brings up a box where you add a description. The next box is were you past the link address. I understand there are problems with this method on a cell phone.

Once again, keep those CC's in the water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 11:44am
Yes, the boat was originally orange and cream colored. I took my best shot at matching the colors. I think I got the orange right on the nose but the off-white turned out to look bright white so we repainted it. I used PPG automotive paint.

The engine is finished and will be installed on Monday, as will the outside rub rail trim. We'll do a shakedown cruise late next week then winterize the engine, load her onto the trailer and she'll be ready for the first warm day of spring.

The links I posted were not meant to be "clickable"...just be copied and pasted into your browser.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 5:18pm
Nice looking shop too
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 9:58pm
Nautilus

I lurk on the site a lot, but rarely post anymore. Too much drama and BS and "my way is the only way". I've enjoyed looking at the pics you've posted and following your previous thread.

Don't let a couple of a**holes run you out of the site. Keep up the good work!

Rob
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 10:16pm
I'll take your advice...and thanks. Yes, sphincters can ruin a forum if you let them. Best plan is to ignore them, not retreat. I'll be sticking around.

I just added a restoration photo log of the Barracuda to my website...copy and paste into your browser:

http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/main/1991-2/
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 10:30pm
Jan,
Do you have a personal boat? If so, can you fill us in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 12:26am
Just so you know you can't copy and paste on a phone or a pad, just saying------
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 12:51am
Up until two years ago, this was my boat:

I now own eight boats. The newest is 1988. The Stingray and Formula both run. The other six are projects, including a 1955 Shepherd that I will be converting to a rear cockpit racer powered by a V12 American-LaFrance engine.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 1:43am
Cool ***************
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Just so you know you can't copy and paste on a phone or a pad, just saying------

Gary - try leaving your finger on the text for a second or three it might give you a couple arrows to move to the front and back of the text you want to copy - and a menu that allows you to copy - when you want to paste after that go to where you want to paste and touch there for a second or three and the paste option should come up
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 2:21am
Thanks Joe haven't quite got it yet but can see with practice that it will work. My son always tells me I should take a class
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 9:48am
Jan,
Thanks for filling us in. I've never seen an American-LaFrance in a marine application. Was it originally in a fire truck and you're converting it? What's your plan for a trans? The Sheperd's being a heavy and very stout built hull, it sure will be able to handle that engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2014 at 3:06pm
Good to see your sticking around....welcome
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 12:58am
Hi Jan
On the Barracuda is that a glass windshield ? and the windshield corner brackets are those original to that boat ?

Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 1:04am
Yes, the windshield is glass and the brackets are original to the windshield. I have no idea if the windshield is original to the boat but it does fit like a glove and there were no extra holes in the topsides to make me believe there was once a different windshield mounted. The brackets are pot metal and they were painted Eastwood aluminum rather than having them re-plated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:47am

The brackets are pot metal and they were painted Eastwood aluminum rather than having them re-plated.

Jan,
Have you ever had any problems with coatings adhering to zinc die castings? How do you prep?

Yes, your windshield is original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Nautilus

I lurk on the site a lot, but rarely post anymore. Too much drama and BS and "my way is the only way"..... Don't let a couple of a**holes run you out of the site.

Rob, you've been around here a while. I think anyone who hangs around realizes how much valuable info is available to all of us. I'm fine with a few pointed comments because I always know those same people will take the time to help out in any way they are asked. And to be honest I really think there is less drama here than pretty much any site I visit.

Jan, very impressive work!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 10:29am

Up until two years ago, this was my boat:

I now own eight boats. The newest is 1988. The Stingray and Formula both run. The other six are projects, including a 1955 Shepherd that I will be converting to a rear cockpit racer powered by a V12 American-LaFrance engine.

Me LIKEY!!!!! BUT, we need more info on the engine!!!!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 11:28am
Now that's a motor.
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:13pm
The engine is a 1947 American-LaFrance V12-J, 527 cubic inch displacement, 215 HP @3,600 RPMs, OHV, 24 spark plugs, two 12-point distributors each with two sets of points and four coils. The 12-spark plug version was originally used in mid-1930s Auburn automobiles. When Auburn went bankrupt, American-LaFrance bought the rights to the engine and re-worked it for firetruck use, including secondary heads holding four spark plugs each and a second distributor driven from the generator. It originally had two top-mounted carburetors and cast iron exhaust/intake manifolds.

I designed/built an aluminum intake/exhaust manifold sending the exhaust straight out the top and allowing the fuel to be supplied by six Carter YH marine carbs. The engine will drive a PCM 1.23:1 transmission through a Bentzen adapter and flywheel through an aluminum BBC bell housing. I'll be using a 14/20 cupped nibral prop (per Michigan Wheel) which should allow 50-55 MPH at 3,600 RPMs.

Now all I need is time and energy to work on it...and money. Donations accepted.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:23pm
[QUOTE=Nautilus] I'll be using a 14/20 cupped nibral prop (per Michigan Wheel) which should allow 50-55 MPH at 3,600 RPMs.[QUOTE]

Wow, that's got to be a custom prop?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:28pm
That's not too oddball of a size, at least if he's running a 1-1/8" shaft. There were big block 1.5:1 boats that used similar sizes, though most were LH.

You must have quite a bit more than the original 215hp if you expect to see those kinds of speeds!

Neat engine for sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:40pm
Jan,
Thanks for filling myself and others in on the engine. It's sure interesting and I hope you post the results.

I'm a little surprised on Michigan's 20" pitch recommendation but they are the experts. The RPM's are low but so is the HP for the heavy hull of the Shepard. The 1.23: 1 sure will help. One thing you didn't mention is the torque. I'm sure the engine has a pretty decent stroke and like so many of the engine back then had plenty of torque.

Keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:43pm
The prop is a little rare but is built by Michigan Wheel. They did the calculations based upon length, width, weight, length at waterline, transmission ratio, horsepower, etc., etc. This engine has a ton of torque. Frankly, I'll take whatever speed I can get. I'm just building it to pick up hot senior chicks with big boobs. Think it'll work?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2014 at 1:43pm
That is a complicated engine! It must take a lot of patience and know how to get running right. Those old engines are a completely different beast having low rpm and hp, but massive torque. I've got a friend that is rebuilding a 1915+- Scripts V8 and I forget the numbers, but the rpm and hp are very low, but the torque is very high.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic