NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bent Shaft on New D.U.I. Distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent Shaft on New D.U.I. Distributor?
    Posted: November-21-2014 at 2:37am
I installed my new D.U.I. distributor as part of my retro-fit project on my 1994 SNOB. The old Pro-Tech trigger came out easily and the new D.U.I. unit went in OK.

I had the all plugs out no wires hooked up yet. I wanted to make sure that the new distributor was operating properly. So, I cranked the motor over and watched the rotor spin.

To my annoyance, the distributor rocked back and forth when turning. It looks to me like a bent shaft. I pulled the new D.U.I. and put the old trigger back in. No rocking when cranking. I did a quick search on Google and there are others who have expressed similar problems. A bent shaft will eat the cam gear.

OK - now I'm starting to get really annoyed. I was hoping to have the project buttoned-up by the weekend...

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 8:20am
Got any pics? I would venture to guess if there was that much bend to make it wobble you would notice something when you hand spin the cam gear on the dizzy?

Have you contacted the seller to see about a swap or refund?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 9:22am
Rob,
Put the DUI in the vise and then check it with the dial indicator to see where it's bent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 2:01pm
The shaft looks to be out about 20 thousands. When I spin the bottom gear, I can clearly see that the shaft is bent. Looks like it is in the lower part of assembly.

Now for the good news: I bought the unit from SummitRacing.com    They have a great customer service reputation. I called them this morning. No questions asked. They are sending me out a new replacement unit. Additionally they are sending out a return shipping label for the "bad" unit. All at no additional charge to me. That takes some of the edge off. Just a little delay...

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 2:12pm
Rob,
Hopefully you did buy the marine version.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 3:26pm
Got mine from Summit as well. Great customer service is why I continue to shop with them.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,

Yup. Marine Distributor. Ford 351W/5.8 Small-Block. Standard (LH) rotation.   7,000 rpm model. Red.

Perhaps I should have specified the "straight shaft" model...
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rob,

Yup. Marine Distributor. Ford 351W/5.8 Small-Block. Standard (LH) rotation.   7,000 rpm model. Red.

Perhaps I should have specified the "straight shaft" model...

Ha ha ha!!!

Did the new one come already? Is it "unbent"? I'm planning to do this mod as well, and this problem has given me pause.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2014 at 12:29pm
Replacement distributor has not arrived.    I was hoping to have the boat completely back together before the end of the Thanksgiving holiday. I will post a few pix when it's installed.

I the mean time, I'm painting the exhaust manifolds and risers today.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic