NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft American Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 Correct Craft American Skier
    Posted: October-31-2014 at 3:45pm
Hello all! I'm new to the forum so like any forum I may be repeating questions found in other strings and for that I apologize. Way too much information here for me to digest immediately.

Anyhow, I purchased a 1953 Correct Craft American skier several days ago with the intent of restoring it. Great boat I found it on Craig's list just as it was posted. it's in pretty good shape after 25 years of storage and appears to be worth the effort. I have just a few general questions at this point and no photos available to me at this time, I am going to pick it up sometime next week (hopefully)when they can move it out.

Great boat, was not advertised more widely seemingly sound hull and motor stringers etc.

So, here I go. It has what appears to be the original 170 cu. in. 100 HP Interceptor, reported to run at time of storage. I have several ideas for the little motor to improve performance and tips or experience would be appreciated. And in it's stock form approximately how fast would it propel the 16ft boat?

I have plenty of view points on improving performance (rat rodders)and I am curious how much knowledge still exists of the mods (if any) beyond maranization did Eaton make to the base Ford Comet engine before I start spending my machine shop budget.

The boat had been painted over what I am told is the original blue of the boat. The paint job appeared to be a faily good one done 25+ years ago using DuPont Imron. so I can't really see the original gel color until I strip a small area when I get it.

Like all fiberglass boats it's vintage original gel coat on hull and topside are spidered and I am planning on taking the boat down and re-gel coating it. Therefore, not having run the I.D. yet, can anyone tell me what colors were offered in the 1963 model? Most likely I am going to go back to the original unless it's hideous!

Thanks for now!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:06pm
Christopher,
When you are thinking performance upgrades, keep in mind the engine is a reverse rotation. This will limit a cam selection. We do have a regular member who has a AS with the 170. I'm sure he'll be along with the speed answer.

Welcome to CCfan. Get us some pictures. We love them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:12pm
Welcome to the site. Pete, that's a baccerds engine. We've got a Mustang with that engine. Ours is stock and runs about 32 mph and cruises nicely in the 20's. A little more speed would be nice. What are you thinking of doing? From the age of yours, it probably has a Paragon transmission?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Welcome to the site. Pete, that's a baccerds engine. We've got a Mustang with that engine. Ours is stock and runs about 32 mph and cruises nicely in the 20's. A little more speed would be nice. What are you thinking of doing? From the age of yours, it probably has a Paragon transmission?

Once again I've inserted my foot without thinking. Yup, it's a flywheel forward so the rotation is standard.

I too would say it's a Paragon trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:28pm
Hey thanks all for the interest. Well with winter on my doorstep my first thoughts are to work on bring the motor back to life. Tear down and inspect internals. Hopefully rebuild able with replacement of rings, bearings etc. Have the head re-done with SS valves and seats installed to cope with modern fuels more easily.

Cook out block and head, mill the head and deck the block to improve compression, re-ring as necessary. Hone cylinders and probably with stay with stock pistons / diameter unless cylinder boring is necessary.

Generally as modest as possible with the overhaul. I would like to stay as close to original as possible while enhancing performance. I don't expect 60 mph passes out of it. I don't want price the motor portion too high or expectations too great or I'm into re-powering becoming a consideration which I would like to avoid unless necessary.

All emblems etc. remain so aesthetically I have neat little boat to restore.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:37pm
The regular member that I know of went and did the right thing and bought a more modern faster boat. Don't get carried away trying to make it into something it's not, it won't pay off in the end IMHO ---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Glassdog Glassdog wrote:

Anyhow, I purchased a 1953 Correct Craft American skier several days ago with the intent of restoring it.

Like all fiberglass boats it's vintage original gel coat on hull and topside are spidered and I am planning on taking the boat down and re-gel coating it.

Thinking perhaps you meant 1963 on the year
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:44pm

Like all fiberglass boats it's vintage original gel coat on hull and topside are spidered and I am planning on taking the boat down and re-gel coating it. Therefore, not having run the I.D. yet, can anyone tell me what colors were offered in the 1963 model? Most likely I am going to go back to the original unless it's hideous!

Thanks for now!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 4:46pm

I don't expect 60 mph passes out of it.

Shoot for 35. Great little engine though. I like the way it sounds and it has decent acceleration.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 5:51pm
Bruce let me drive the Mustang (or should I say Dave) up at Benjamins this year. I loved that little thing with the 6 cylinder and would have left it just as it was. Sounds great plenty of power for two trick skiers and smooth as a sewing machine.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 6:22pm
Sorry must have misstated something. Anyhow, yes it is a 1963 (typing fast) and no I'm not trying to make the boat into something it's not. As stated, I am doing a resto and prefer to keep the motor original. Having said that, like the original production motor introduced into the Ford Comet in 1963 the Interceptor had a few shortcomings that were later improved upon in the 200 cu. in. inline 6 cyls.

We are planning to use the boat and I am quite fond of the sound of an inline 6 cyl. My family has several vintage woodies, one of which a (Greavette) 1947 has a Kermath Marine, flathead six (Pontiac base)which is unmistakable.

My thoughts center on the fact it's a vintage motor, compression was a little light etc. So, modest compression improvement better internal fasteners etc. leading to improved reliability and compatability with modern fuels. I'm not against additives, however we boat in several different areas, some extremely remote so I don't really want to cart around much more than stabil and deal with low octane fuels. I plan to let my kids ski behind it as it's range of speed is just right for them, just want to make sure the old girl is up to being leaned on a little.

Any thoughts on the range of colors that particular year?

Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 6:27pm
Guess I should clarify the color. Color names in particular shade of blue. I know it was blue and hoping it was just one offering however preliminarily investigating gel coat manufacturers / color matches available.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 6:45pm
Let me start off by saying until you get the word from Correct Craft you really don't know what year it is. Standard color for the American Skier in 63 was white with red waterline stripe,clipper grey floor. Sales sheet says optional colors - Solid color deck in red,buckskin tan,turquoise. No mention if hull came in any color other than white.Seat backs came in turquoise,red,blue,beige. Life preserver cushions came in turquoise,red,or white. Boat with Interceptor 100hp was $2565.00
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 6:51pm
By 64 there was a Deluxe model available,same colors but many optional items standard. Windshield with wind wings,upholstery,running lights,step plates vinyl floor covering and interior sides covered with fabric for 1k more
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 7:09pm

compatability with modern fuels. I'm not against additives, however we boat in several different areas, some extremely remote so I don't really want to cart around much more than stabil and deal with low octane fuels.

Christopher,
What additives are you thinking about? Hopefully it's not a "lead substitute" since there's no such thing. I stopped using it over 25 years ago. As a ACBS member I encounter plenty of classic as well as antique engines and their owners. I honestly do not know one that still uses the so called "lead substitute". Keep in mind that our old engines ran on marine white gas which is a straight run gas with NO additives (no lead ether) in it at all. Keep the money you save for the valve job when the time comes. (it may take years!) BTW, none of my engines are in need of a valve job!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 8:31pm
Do you happen to have the hull number,it will be on the port side stringer near the rear motor mount. Since its a American Skier it will be AM _ _ _
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2014 at 10:19am
Welcome aboard! Yes to the pictures!
Js
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 2:00am
Christopher,

I have a 64 A.S. with the Interceptor 100. Here are a couple of pics of mine... like Gary says white with red trim...

I have done some top end work on mine a few years ago. When I bought the boat someone had put a 73 head on it. This head was cracked so I had to replace it.

Here is a pic of the engine sans the head..

I was taking with a few guys on a hi-po Ford six site. They use heads from a late 70's Monarch / Fairmont 200. A couple of them helped me out on getting this head on the old 170 block. This head has bigger intake runner, hardened valves, which I think were also larger then the originals.     One big "problem" with the Interceptor is the carburation. The "car guys" run larger two or even 4 bbl carbs. These run a single Carter YH sidedraft and you cant get many CFM's pushed thru it. I was not willing to alter the doghouse, so had to stick with the stock setup.

The other obstacle is the exhaust. Again, the manifold can only handle so much flow.

Like Gary said.. dont make it something it's not. Altho a little polishing and chrome bling never hurts anything! (dont ask Pete if its ok)

Here is a pic of the finished engine with the "new" 200 head... after chroming the valve cover and polishing the homemade stainless carb adapter and the exhaust manifold. ...

And, YEP, we need to see some pics!!!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 11:32am
Here's a picture but you know this one

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 12:36pm
Cool, another '63, can't wait to see it

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Carter YH sidedraft and you cant get many CFM's pushed thru it. I was not willing to alter the doghouse, so had to stick with the stock setup.

150 CFM is the YH rating.

Steve,
I'm sure happy you stayed original and didn't cut a hole in the doghouse. I do know several who haven't especially the 312's converting the dual YH's with a downdraft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2014 at 6:36pm
Thanks guys good info and beautiful "64" 62 wood. Anyhow, it will all begin for me this coming week I'll post some pics. Thanks for the contributions!
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 6:25pm
Hello all and thanks for earlier input. Anyhow, been meaning to get back on and haven't had time. Here are a few pics of my "63" American skier just shortly after getting it to my home. Read on after the pics..

Anyhow, was supposedly garage kept and only not run for 25 years because they bought a pontoon boat and I was advised it had not been properly laid up.

So as expected there are a few hiccups. Going to pull motor and tranny for the winter. Well found out they had attempted to winterize, just not thoroughly. Exhaust manifold cracked interior and exterior of water jacket, still had water in it, no glycol. Then pulled the head and found the intake valve on #2 cylinder missing a chunk! And a corresponding pushrod that was nicely bent nearly into an "s" and a crack extending out into the head from the valve seat. Fortunately all cylinders are unmarred.

So, I may be able to retain the original 100 h.p. However, I'm adding the costs at my labor rate, new / used manifold, head, alternator and starter are shot, got my winter cut out for me.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 6:28pm
Boat looks great! Better to have the hull in shape rather than the other way around
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 6:52pm
Lots of cosmetic work ahead, haven't gotten a reply from Art through correct craft, however I believe it to be the standard white under the red imron that was applied some time ago. with red water line.

Was told it had blue paint on it, I think they had boat confused or did a good job of stripping and painting over, no evidence.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 7:00pm
Well he is retired Chris. I thought I saw a picture of him somewhere driving the electric nautique at a ski tournament so he's got his plate full but I'll bet he eventually gets it for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 7:33pm
Oh I'm sure he will, I received a very nice email from him explaining his interests and his retired status. I'm in no big hurry, just interested holidays are close so my fun money is tight!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 10:31am
That boat looks to be in fantastic shape, all things considered! Good luck with the project.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 10:53am
OH WOW! Very Nice Welcome to Team Red!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I thought I saw a picture of him somewhere driving the electric nautique at a ski tournament

You did Gary but it was from the 2011 Masters Tournament Opening Ceremonies.

But he is usually seen in the 61 SN with a couple other legends.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic