NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$2.99 a gallon! Now just $1.99 !

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $2.99 a gallon! Now just $1.99 !
    Posted: October-12-2014 at 11:52am
Some big changes since 2012, Paid 2.99 a gallon this week. Makes it a little easier to top of the tank for winter lay up.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 12:56pm
Kinda makes you want to bury a big tank & fill it up about April!

Somehow I don't think the city zoning board would go for it though . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 1:18pm
Wonder what is pushing the price down?...Obama?
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Wonder what is pushing the price down?...Obama?

Election time??? That or their trying to bankrupt the Russians
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 11:41pm
I bought some for $2.76 today. Non ethanol 89 octane was $3.52.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:46am
Talked to an oil company bigwig and the price should be under $1.90. Mainly the U.S. policy to not drill on public lands allows other countries to jack the price.

But hey, we've got to stop this global climate change...
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:03am
Funny, price of gas on the street has dropped about 60 cents in the last few months but it hasn't moved a tick at the marina where Im held hostage. No kidding its like $5.60 a gallon.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Talked to an oil company bigwig and the price should be under $1.90. Mainly the U.S. policy to not drill on public lands allows other countries to jack the price.

But hey, we've got to stop this global climate change...

There is no such policy - outside of a few wild life preserve areas - there is plenty of drilling on public lands in the US.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:00pm
Saw it $2.69 today at several places.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:42pm

Maybe no formal policy but...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/22/kemp-usa-oildrilling-idUSL6N0NE33K20140422

Kind of like there is no formal policy against running pipelines down from Canada, but....
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 12:54am
No offense Larry but that's a BS opinion piece by a biased writer or he would mention that the fact we have increased drilling faster on private land as of late and not public land is because that's where all the shale is ...but there is still plenty of drilling on our federal land by private companies and by plenty I mean the most ever.   We are a net oil exporter for the first time in modern history - if other countries are controlling the price then it is our trade balance that is benefitting.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 1:08am
This thread made me curious about drilling on public lands, and being unsatisfied with a Reuters column as the basis of my information, I hunted around online a bit to see what the consensus was on this topic.

It seems that there is some merit to the fact the drilling on public lands has remained stable, or even fallen, and that the increase in oil/NG production in the US is mostly due to increased extraction from private land. However, according to a 2013 report* by the (super cool! your tax dollars at work) Congressional Research Service, this is mostly due to a fall in offshore drilling (following Deepwater Horizon, remember that?) since 2010. Over the period 2007-12 there was actually a 15% increase in oil production on Federal land. Over the same time period there was around a 35% increase in oil production on private land.

From CRS report mentioned above.

Let's assume gas is selling at the pump for $3.00/gallon. In inflation adjusted dollars circa 2000 (the year I started driving) that is $2.17. The average price of a gallon of gasoline in the US during the year 2000 was $1.53, so gas is about 40% more expensive today than it was 14 years ago.

Remember; energy markets, like nearly everything these days, are global. US oil production has increased about 20% from 2000-12 (from about 5 million barrels per day to over 6 million barrels per day). Meanwhile, over the same period US gas consumption has only risen about 4%, so clearly domestic oil production and the price of gas at the US pump are not at all directly related. Considering the massive increase in global energy demand (China, India, Africa anybody?) I'd say a 40% increase doesn't seem so bad.

Basically, gas is pretty frickin' cheap. It is ironic that in a thread celebrating the current low prices, folks are still complaining about how they wish it was even cheaper. I lived in Iceland for over a year between 2008-2012. I don't recall a time when gas was cheaper than $8.00/gal, and more often it was closer to $10.00/gal. If you think those folks don't like to/have to drive as much as we do you are wrong. There are many small cars in Iceland, but plenty of SUVs (many lifted/large tires for off-road use).

As we've all taken note in the "Angry" thread, be happy it is cheap at the moment because nothing is forever.

*For those that are interested I highly recommend reading this entire document (it is rather short).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Basically, gas is pretty frickin' cheap. It is ironic that in a thread celebrating the current low prices, folks are still complaining about how they wish it was even cheaper. I lived in Iceland for over a year between 2008-2012. I don't recall a time when gas was cheaper than $8.00/gal, and more often it was closer to $10.00/gal. If you think those folks don't like to/have to drive as much as we do you are wrong. There are many small cars in Iceland, but plenty of SUVs (many lifted/large tires for off-road use).

Don't we have to take into account that we have refineries here in the US and that actually saves us some money in the production of gas where as other countries do not and must pay for the crude an the refinement of it into gasoline for their vehicles?

Does Iceland have refineries or do they ship/pipe in a finished product?

I do believe at the current price per barrel, we should be seeing gas prices at right around $2/gallon when compared to similar prices per barrel from a few years back. Inflation/demand/commodities most definitely help to drive up the current cost of fuel when comparing it to past prices.

I still think it's too expensive considering we are now almost equaling Saudi Arabia in regards to production. I couldn't care less what other countries are paying for fuel.

Do we know the taxes associated with that $8/gallon Icelandic fuel?

It's still above $3/gallon here in central Florida ($3.09). Can't wait to see if it dips below the $3 mark.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 10:06am
I used the Iceland example only because they have very expensive gas but they still have a lifestyle not that dissimilar from us (though I never did see a ski boat). I don't know for sure, but I think you are correct that there are no Icelandic refineries and that all fuel has to be imported. I haven't traveled outside of the West, but most of the places I've been in W. Europe had gas prices that were somewhere between ours and Iceland's, and I would attribute that to a variety of factors, including very high taxes.

Price per barrel of crude oil over time adjusted for inflation

Adjusted for inflation, the current price per barrel is about twice as expensive now as it was in 2000, so if gas were about $1.50 then it should be around $3.00 now. Hmmm... Seems about right. Of course prices are usually more like $3.50-4.00, but even so the price per barrel and the "pain at the pump" appear to me to track more closely than I would have expected. I was actually surprised to see this because in general I agree with your sentiment that they seem to be more decoupled, but I had never honestly looked at the data.

As consumers we've also become habituated to high prices, so I'd guess that is part of the reason why things do not scale 1:1 between the price of crude and the price of gas. Also, there are production lags and a host of other factors to consider. In general, I would expect companies to make more profit the higher the price goes because at the low end they have numerous fixed costs that do not scale linearly as the price increases (this is the reason that McDonald's can sell you twice as much food for 150% of the price and still make a greater profit), so this probably explains in part why Exxon and other oil companies are making record profits.

As I noted previously, and as any market-minded individual knows, fuel is a global market. If demand outstrips production the price will go up. Who cares how much we are pumping compared to other nations, or even how much we have pumped compared to the past? Everything relates to how much folks are willing to pay, here and abroad. If/when the European and Chinese economies get back on their feet (something akin to activity prior to 2008) I don't think $5/gal would be too far off. So again, enjoy it while it lasts.

It must be getting chilly since these threads are warming up again... (that goes as much for myself as anybody else).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 12:19pm
Hansel and Joe, I love your posts on these hot topics. They're so factual.

FACKS ARE FACKS!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 12:24pm
How much does Iceland tax gas?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 12:29pm
You don't have to take anything into account to know that there is no policy against pumping oil out of public land in the US that is having any significant effect on gas prices. There is currently more production than demand, therefore adding even more production is unlikely to have an effect on prices.

Plenty of things that do effect them, like speculation on wall street, price fixing by refineries, price fixing by opec, the value of the dollar (which has gone up and is probably the biggest factor in the current reduction in a barrel of oil price), and decreased demand due to economic and regulatory factors.

If one really wanted to get froggy about gas prices they would in fact wonder why when we currently are pumping more gas than we can use it hasn't fallen faster... but blaming it on the government regulating too much how we give the oil under our land to private companies or whether or not we compel individuals and states to allow an oil pipeline through their land is much farther from the truth than blaming it on a lack of government regulation of the speculators and monopolies.

Real gas prices in this country reached their modern peak when we were at our lowest state of regulation both in industry oversite and in efficiency regulation, so lax in fact that there were massive costs in human lives and environmental damage. If there is a relationship between regulation and cost it is an inverse one.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 1:33pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 1:38pm
So 50% = $4/gal, so their gas price is a somewhat higher than ours, but their high price at the pump is due to a tax problem.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 1:55pm
To tax gas or not to tax gas is pretty much a separate argument, someone is going to pay for government somehow, I would rather pay 4 dollars a gallon with 2.50 going to taxes and 1.50 going to oil companies and refineries than pay 3 bucks a gallon with .50 going to taxes 1.50 going to oil companies and refineries and 1.00 going to speculators. But that's just me, being in the middle class I know I am going to pay all the taxes for the country either way so whether they are on my gas, or my income, or my property it is all the same to me.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 2:02pm
Just saying that when you make a case about how cheap our gas is compared to some place else, it has a lot to do with taxes...
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 7:39pm
My Iceland example was only to illustrate that gas is relatively cheap here, not on why the price varies from place to place. That is somewhat of a separate issue.

Incidentally, gas is selling for $2.97 here in Lexington this afternoon.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 7:42pm
Saw $2.85 south of town this morning.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2014 at 9:00pm
i paid 355 near thw highway but saw 309 in the middle of the city.. hhmm i wonder if they prey on travelers
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 1:55am
man I love it when it start s getting cold up north...this is better than tv...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 2:36am
The bond market is rallying driving interest rates down because the guys with money know we are still not out of the woods and won't be for some time...5+ more years they are betting. Cheap gas sure would help an ailing economy
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 2:38am
Chevron and Shell sure prey on anyone dumb enough to wander into their overpriced gas stations...they are are the marinas of the road
This is the life
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 8:01am
Funny because here Shell is pretty competitive. Luckily Orange County (Orlando) has cheapest gas in all of Florida. Something I never understood is on one corner gas can be say $3, on the corner next to it $3.25 and yet the more expensive one will have just as many customers.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Luckily Orange County (Orlando) has cheapest gas in all of Florida.

Unless you're down by OIA, then gas is almost $5/gallon. Biggest tourist trap in town.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 3:16pm
I was curious as to why gas prices are falling, so I did some quick searches to get a feel for some key drivers.

- Boom in production in US, and other global producers still pumping it out in large qtys. Resulting in global glut of oil.

- Slowing global economy decreases demand.

I have been noticing that when I fill up, it has taken as much as around $70 to fill it completely it. Now it takes around $55 or so.

The money people are no longer paying for high gas prices will also have a stimulative effect on the economy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic