Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The mighty Seacamper-Will this throw a good wake?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The mighty Seacamper-Will this throw a good wake?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mighty Seacamper-Will this throw a good wake?
    Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:47am
Hey All,
I finally got the Seacamper project down to Florida. I have it about gutted. What do you think of this gem?

Below is the power section:

OK the 750 hp thing was just a joke.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 4:03am
I fell for it lol. Neat project.

Waldo
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 9:47am
Overpowered. Get rid of one.
Js
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:09am
What cruise ship did you steal that from???
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:17am
Those things are cool. There is a guy in Matlache with one I just surveyed. Look for broken tabbing from the interior deck edges down to the hull as its common but a very cool boat. Load it down with ice, beer and food and disappear for the weekend into the back waters and creeks. Drag a Yak with you for fishing excursions. Lots of people build a sunset deck on the roof.
I have little trouble seeing me with one during my evening years.
Where in FL?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:21am
I just saw another one on craigslist this am, perhaps the one Baitkiller surveyed as I recall it being in SWFL.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:30pm
Hey John,
I am in Winter Haven. This is the one on craigslist:
Seacamper
I may just anchor it in the middle of the lake to escape my kids! I would probably just be disturbed by those damned tubers.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 1:27am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

I may just anchor it in the middle of the lake to escape my kids! I would probably just be disturbed by those damned tubers.

better not be any tubes on 'our' lake!

your kids are pretty cool.

went by today..saw the lift..cool.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 1:50am
I love that boat! The addition of a rooftop deck would be awesome, head out to a cove with the Seacamper and a ski boat, everyone is happy and taken care of.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 2:29am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

better not be any tubes on 'our' lake!

your kids are pretty cool.

went by today..saw the lift..cool.

john

Hey Jbear,
I am just waiting on the parts for the lift. Gotta be ready for Wrecking Crew 2!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 9:51am
That thing is sweet. Any pics of the interior?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 10:20am
My brother had one similar to this. It had a fly bridge, with a 2nd set of engine control cables (it was an outboard). He just switched cables to go from inside helm to topside helm. Ran topside 95% of the time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

That thing is sweet. Any pics of the interior?

Hey JP,
I will try and get some with my youngest son (who has claimed the boat) digging out the foam. We are probably up to 15 garbage bags so far! The stringers seem ok and the transom is solid. I am only going to put a 25hp on it for sub plane, small lake cruising, but it is rated for a 150hp.It actually has a 25 mile offshore rating. We have had the project for 7 years.
Like Baitkiller and David brought up, the idea was to take it skiing along with the ski boat, and have a place to hang out. Our plans shifted when we got a small piece of land on a ski lake in SC, and we got a 32 foot camper for our ski excursions. The project got mothballed in favor of a 24' pontoon boat that ended up being a dock/support boat for the SN.
My youngest was 5 when we got it in 2007, and he was mesmerized by it, and he would draw pictures of it at the local Hardees for the old guys who would gather for breakfast. Mrs Seacamper has never been in love with it, (I know she will be when its done,....she always gets on board)     Since we moved to Winter Haven, the plan has shifted again for the project.
The idea will be for it to be redone like the one in the above Craigslist ad. I want to put it at the dock for gear storage, so I plan storage benches for sitting. I do not want fold out tables, or an actual kitchen. I could see a curtain like device for privacy and bathing suit changing where the old bathroom was, but I pretty much want to make it a wide open interior. I plan to have an in floor storage access as well, but that will be more for an additional bilge pump more than anything else. I plan on running everything off 12v so although I will run 110 down the dock, I will use the 110 for a float battery charger and have a dual battery set up with solar assist. I will probably have to run a dedicated 110 circuit for dockside use, but I do not plan to get a 110 converter like they use in campers. I need to keep it simple. The 110 circuit WILL be gfci protected. My kid really wants a refrigerator, so I got one of those 12v Coleman iceless coolers, that we will throw in the boat if we go cruising the Chain of Lakes. I do plan on making the roof useful but doing that right will be twice as expensive as what I have in the boat right now. I wish it had the flying bridge!
Here are the graphics I am planning:

1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 12:10am
You say they are rated to 150 HP, the one in the CL ad has a 200 on it. Seems like an awful lot of engine for that boat. The hull shape reminds me a bit of the square front Boston Whalers.

I'm wondering if a 25 HP will be enough. There's a ton of area on the sides for the wind to work on, and if I had to guess I'd say it's a 4,500 lb. boat, and on a windy day with some current I could see a 25 struggling to keep decent headway. I think I'd run 50 HP as a minimum.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 11:42am
Hey David,
I do not know how they do it, but when they hang a bracket on the back, people can get away with a lot more horsepower. My guess is that that boat was originally an I/O. Either way, it has a bracket on it, so I guess that changes the transom rating. As far as the 25hp thing is concerned, I just happen to have a long shaft 25hp Johnson laying around, so I figure I would give it a try! If it is under powered, I will look for a bigger motor. It is a 4500 lb boat, and I am sure it is going to be a beast!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 12:21pm
Something like this would be practical ......

I get it, might as well try what you have and go from there.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 12:39pm
If you are gonna be a bear........ be a Grizzly!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 12:59pm
You've got to love the Seven's! If Darth Vader was an outboard designer, he'd have made it look just like that!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 5:57pm
Yikes! The Tower Of Power vs. Star Wars!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 6:02pm
Those 7's are $85,000 a pop.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Those 7's are $85,000 a pop.

That's why it's important to always run twins, you want it to feel like you bought a new house, even though it was just a pair of outboards.

I've yet to see one in person, but have heard them on video, really a completely different sound to them. I'm a big fan of the company, like it when someone rises out of the "nobody can break into this market" doldrums and does something BIG!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 10:00pm
So I went a different direction with this one.

We donated it to the American Legion and it turned into my son's Eagle project. They will haul it in parades as a float. (the mast is removable) This is on the same lake as the Cypress Gardens ski show, We are rigging it with two Harbor Freight gas driven pumps and a valve system so we can divert water to either water cannons or upward spraying nozzles, so it can make water effects and spray water. We are also going to rig it with speakers, a PA system, a smoke system, and lots of lights. It will be used pre-show as a little advertising for the Legion and usually the Flyboard act is also a pre show act, so there will be a lot of water spraying. It goes in the water Wednesday!!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 10:11pm
Tom,
Great idea and a great cause.

Before they go and buy the HF pumps, they had better look at the specs. All I see at HF are semi trash pumps. which means high GPM at lower PSI. The best develops 91 feet of total head. That means 40 PSI with NO GPM. You get more PSI from a municipal or a well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
Great idea and a great cause.

Before they go and buy the HF pumps, they had better look at the specs. All I see at HF are semi trash pumps. which means high GPM at lower PSI. The best develops 91 feet of total head. That means 40 PSI with NO GPM. You get more PSI from a municipal or a well.

Too late! We already bought one. It was pretty cheap. We will use it to experiment with. I would like to go with a bigger pump later.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2018 at 11:37pm
Calm day there
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2018 at 1:50am
When are you going to be in town?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2018 at 11:30pm

Well, so far so good. It was pretty "ungainly" as a stripped boat with no motor on it. It wanted to float nose heavy which put the deep v into the water which created a pretty crazy ride to the dock with Mrs Seacamper pulling us. 840 pounds of sand bags straightened that out pretty well,, but it is raining pretty hard, and water is leaking into the mast hole that needs to be fixed, as well as some scupper holes that need to be unplugged. It's on two bilge pumps on two batteries with two battery chargers. Keep your fingers crossed!!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2018 at 11:36pm
Eh, it's not that deep at your dock. Fliers off the top Wednesday!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2018 at 11:45pm
The daytime picture is more representative. Very cool. Nicely done and good cause, from this dad of an Eagle Scout.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 10:31pm
Here are some updates:

1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic