Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing A PCM GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing A PCM GT40
    Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:43am
Hello everyone, I recently joined this website although I have been a visitor for many years. This summer I became the owner of a 99 SN which I posted to the diaries page the other day. I have grown up around I/O's and winterized them since I was a teenager. I am looking for some pointers (pics or videos if possible) on how to properly winterize my GT40 and also assistance with the hot/cold water shower and driver seat heater which I assume has some type of heat exchanger as there are hoses which run from the heater back to the engine. I have read some of the forums on winterization but have not found any so far which specifically refer to the GT40 engine or how to properly winterize the shower or heater. I have also read a couple posts about clearing the speedo lines with something around 25 PSI of pressure. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, dano
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:15pm
Dano,

I believe you will want to use about 7 PSIG to blow out those speedo lines. 25 PSIG may damage the bladders. I do believe that most will tell you not to even mess with the speedos at all

Donald
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:38pm
There are probably 8,000,000 threads on this but since nobody bit after letting it marinate last night I'll just summarize.

GT40 winterization is the same as the carb'd version of the engine other than NOT fogging through the intake.

Block drains on either side of the block itself, one or the other may be used for heater or shower hoses. Drain both block drains probing for scale/buildup with a wire or pick.

Drain at the bottom of the cast metal "U" feeding the water circ pump in front

Drains on the back of both exhaust manifolds

Empty water strainer

Blow water out of heater core by literally blowing into one hose and noting the water/air coming out of the other. Then I usually funnel in some AF and blow that through. I have quick release fittings for my heater supply and return hoses (from garden hose section of Ace or HD/Lowes) that make this a snap.

I usually put 2-3 gallons of PG Antifreeze into a bucket and suck that into the motor with a 1" hose connected to the input side of the trans cooler. Some just leave it dry, YMMV, I do it just because.

I pull all 8 spark plugs, fog each cylinder with spray fogging oil w/the straw on the nozzle, then rotate the crank a few rotations with the front crank bolt, then replace all 8 plugs and wires.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 2:17pm
Well thanks for bringing up winterizing so soon!

Joel pretty much nailed it. Only things I would add: is

-throw some marine stabil in the gas tank and top it off.    

- I run engine off hose to temp... then I suck the antifreeze via intake hose. If you have valves to and from the heater core... open them up so you pull antifreeze thru it as well.

- since engine is still warm at this point I change oil and filter so it is ready to go next season.

- When I fog I do exactly what Joel does but after I manually turn the engine over I respray each cylinder.

Other things I do every other year are change impeller and trans fluid. At beginning of season.

Then I store in a heated garage anyway..
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:14am
Ok I have just gone from carbed 85' 2001 to EFI 97' gt40 . I used to just drain water and open a few water passages and a gallon of anti freeze. Do I need to do the bucket method or is it the same? I just want be sure since I got the boat on the cheap from bad winterizing ..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:40am
Same, except you don't fog the (dry) gt40 intake. Cooling system is unchanged on all PCM fords.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 4:40pm
Drain all 5 plugs & refill with antifreeze (pour into T stat hose) is a good method. No special hoses involved.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 5:42pm
yup...August 30th and we have our 1st 'winterizing thread'

now..what were we sayin' about those gators?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

now..what were we sayin' about those gators?

Haha! Florida winterizing means one bag of ice instead of two, and possibly a sweatshirt.

john
Js
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:16am
I was launching yesterday, had the truck/boat/trailer parked while I got ready. A relative stopped by and said "Oh, you're taking the boat out for the season." I looked at him like he was nuts, said I'll boat to mid October, only stop when they drop the lakes. The idea of putting the boat away at Labor Day just seems to shorten the season so much, there's another beautiful month of boating/skiing left.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I know really... depressing ain't it?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 12:10pm
Wasnt ice-out like 3 or 4 weeks late this year in the frozen North? I would push it out as long as I could. Dry suits are on sale!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 1:07pm
I imagine Pete's are already put away
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:00am
My neighbor pulled his out last weekend! Mine is staying until until the lake is lowered too. That hot shower does a fine job of getting a wet suit warm.....

As far as winterizing, I am a fan of the PG pull through the engine regardless of what it is. Very Very cheap insurance instead of a new engine. Some stabilizer or sea foam is a great idea also. I religiously winterize with PG and stabilizer and have never had an issue. Change the oil in the fall to get the acids out of the engine also, and then you're ready to go in the spring. Full tank of gas IMO is a good idea too.

Lots of engine experience in my family. Just my two cents y'all.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:26am
I tried our Florida members way of winterizing last winter. Think I'll try it again this year but with a different boat to make sure it works with different engine manufacturers.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:35am
good planning Gary...you better stop in Central Florida on the way down so me & Eddie can give you some 'tips'.........

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:38am
got it all painted today can start pulling all the tape off tomorrow and get my garage back. Then another day of drying and it can start to go back together.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:04am
can't wait to see it on the way by.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:13am
I hate to admit it, but I'm pulling the boat out this weekend to run it for the first and only time this season (Yes, it's still winterized from last season). As soon as I'm done I'll be draining the water, and pulling antifreeze back through and fogging. Let me not forgot to mention that this will all be done in the driveway too, so the boat won't even see the lake this year..... What a shame...
1992 Nautique Excel
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:17am
Wait, you're running it on the hose and then winterizing again? Why?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:30am
Because it'll feel good to run it at least once. Also, I'll feel much better knowing that I have fresh antifreeze in it when it's -20 this winter ($40 is cheap insurance). I have ball valves at all drain locations so it doesn't take much time either.
1992 Nautique Excel
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 5:26pm
Is there any plugs that need to be removed on the Tranny or just the hose?
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 7:15pm
No plugs on the tranny.

The only hose to drain for tranny is actually the raw water hose that is connected to the oil cooler.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:53pm
This is the first year I am DIY. I am tired paying the marine mechanics to spill oil on my carpet, etc. So do you guys that put AF in, do you drain the water first and then suck the AF through? I sucked 2 gallons of AF through before draining anything. I noticed that mostly clear water came out of the block drains on the side of the engine and the AF was all in the exhaust manifolds. I am assuming that's because the T stat was not open?   Just trying to make sure I do this right. Draining was easy, just want to make sure that I have AF in all the right places since it freezes so hard up here in the winter and boat will be in cold storage.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

This is the first year I am DIY. I am tired paying the marine mechanics to spill oil on my carpet, etc. So do you guys that put AF in, do you drain the water first and then suck the AF through? I sucked 2 gallons of AF through before draining anything. I noticed that mostly clear water came out of the block drains on the side of the engine and the AF was all in the exhaust manifolds. I am assuming that's because the T stat was not open?   Just trying to make sure I do this right. Draining was easy, just want to make sure that I have AF in all the right places since it freezes so hard up here in the winter and boat will be in cold storage.

Hollywood has a great MS Paint diagram of the water flow in the engine. Basically you want to drain the water, then either suck in or pour in the AF via the raw water feed to the t-stat housing. Regardless of T-stat open or closed there is ALWAYS an open passage that lets incoming fluid enter the engine. This is probably the most common area of confusion in boat winterization. If the block is empty, it fills up regardless of T-stat state.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 6:17pm
Thanks that makes sense.
I did some searching but couldn't find that diagram of HW's. Got a link? That would be very interesting to see.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 8:45pm
I have a 92 Nautique. I will be WINTERIZING myself for the first time (my dealer is over booked). Can I just take the inlet hose and put it in a drum of AntiFreeze and start the engine until I see pure AF coming out? I was thinking this way I don't need to remove any drain plugs and so on.
I figured if I run enough AF this should be OK?

Thanks for insight,

Hudson
Rene Wittmer
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 8:59pm
Rene,
DRAIN and then add the anti.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 9:30pm
and DON'T let anyone tell you different......

Also make sure you use a wire to probe the drain holes so that they are not blocked and drain completely.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2018 at 10:11pm
Thank you,

Rene
Rene Wittmer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic