Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 Compact Skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MB65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 Compact Skier
    Posted: June-28-2014 at 4:01am
I am almost done with what might be the longest, drawn out restoration ever. I have had this boat since 1989, I think I can count on one hand the number of hours its been in the water since then. I may, at some point write it all down here but I'm not so sure anyone would want to read it all. I will post some pictures soon. Anyway, I got to looking at the scant few pictures I could find on the web and noticed something strange. My boat has the steering wheel on the port side. Can't find any others like it. Anybody have any insight on this? It's possible that the POS I bought it from switched it around but the board that is the dash looks original. Also, any idea how many of theses are still out there...just curious as to the rarity/value.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 6:11am
Mike,
CC did use some engines that were only available in a LH rotation. If your Compact was built with a LH, then the port side helm would have come from the factory. What engine is in it? Where are the pictures of the project? We would love to see them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MB65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MB65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 4:09pm
Well that explains it...yes it is a lefty. The original engine was the "Saber" V6 192 cid. Which, as I'm sure you know, was a Buick engine and they only made it for a few years. It was cracked having been left to freeze one winter at Lake Tahoe (or so I suppose) Regardless of how it got that way, it was good for and anchor on much larger boat but not much else. This was back before the internet was a thing so finding a "new" one was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. The only other engine with the same bell housing pattern is the 215 aluminum v8 which would have made a great boat engine but I have never seen a "marinized" version. That is to say, I would have needed some custom made exhaust manifolds (too much money for a broke mechanic). Fast forward to now...I found a newer (early 70's) OMC v6 which is really a 231 Buick which was used (I think) by CC as well. Universal called it "Super Saber" it has the traditional PBO bell housing pattern so I had to have a new one but many of my original parts bolted right on. I will get some pictures up soon. But right now I have a boat to go work to on.
BTW I desperately still need a new windshield. I have found an outfit on-line that will make me one but holy cow! I need both arms and legs to ski. I am thinking about just buying a piece of plexi or lexan and making one. Any ideas on that?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:07am
Mike, like Pete says... get some pics up!

Here is a link on Glen L on making a windshield. It may not have the compound curves of the original windshield , but better than nothing/ or until you can find an original?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic