NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Fuel M600

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Fuel M600
    Posted: June-02-2014 at 1:00pm
Alright dudes, this crazy place allowed us a few minutes to finally get the carb set up on Mark's 91 footer BBC.

We know the 600 is 50 CFM shy of the stock big block Holley but here goes.

We sorted a vacuum leak and put an initial tune on the QF (basically idle and no timing adjustments). Stock out of the box with no changes.

Good prop back on the boat and Mark did a short WOT run that netted 50.2 mph verified by Perfect Pass precision star. No lean pop or weird operation so my suspicion is they jetted it a little fat based on the small block QF says it was set up for.

Mark said it's way more responsive than the Holley and it is an animal out of the hole as compared before.

I will foot it and drive it soon to give my thoughts on the carb. The only complaint Mark had was the secondaries were coming in at 42-44 when pulling a footer. Should be easily adjustable with the secondary screw that the QF features.

The fastest the boat ever did before with the Holley was 51.3 ish if memory serves me but that was down river. So the thing lost no performance on only a preliminary tune. Hopefully we can plug chop it here soon and see if it is rich or lean.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 2:50pm
Zach,
I'm waiting on pins and needles to see how this turns out. I'm thinking that the manual secondary QF650 would be a better fit for your application but it'll be really interesting to see how the QF600 stacks up against it.
The secondaries coming in at 42-44 is not uncommon. With a footer in tow it might even knock that down to 40-42 or 41-43 (approx.) Holding a called speed in that opening range is usually pretty much impossible. Manual secondaries eliminate that problem as Tim will attest to.
I was able to eliminate that in John's boat by installing the heaviest spring that Holley makes (which slows down the opening rate) but it also prevented the secondaries from opening completely so we lost a couple MPH at WOT.
My carb was a standard 650 which is obviously oversized for the stock SB but I've never felt the secondaries open (which, by the way is how a properly tuned carb is supposed to be). Any speed you call, it has always held dead-on. I have the lightest secondary spring Holley makes with it and you still never feel the secondaries open up. I have a theory about that but until I can get the same jets, metering plate, metering block and boosters retrofitted into a stock 600, I won't know for sure.

Looking forward to what you find out.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 4:02pm
Seems like it will be a great option especially for the small block guys. Mark is open to switch ups as we can sell this carb to the Fish Tique buddy if need be.

Only issue I had was the front float ran out of adjustment before I got it to the middle of the sight glass. Might have to take some things apart and do some bending if possible.

Mark footed it and put it away and came back about 5 hours later and it key started and hopped right up to pre set idle rpm. I am thinking one of those might find its way onto the brown boat sometime in the near future.

I am optimistic I can really tune those secondaries the way they need to be with the infinite adjustment screw they feature.

Hopefully we can check out the mixture and play with the timing some more and make it a consistent 51.xx boat. It is actually fairly impressive how well you can get something to run with a carb that is too small.

My car runs that early 625 speed demon series carb and makes in the neighborhood of 390 hp. It shifts at 5800 rpms and pulls through the traps at 6000-6100. I gather that a 600 cfm carb is probably completely adequate for a peanut head big block spinning 4800 rpms. Dial in fuel mixture (if it needs to be dialed in) and get a final run in with timing adjustments and I think it will be a boss.

Only other little thing he said eariler is it seemed every once in a while to stumble for an instant from a dead idle in gear to a completely WOT punch. I am thinking the accelerator pump nozzles may be just slightly to small for the BBC versus the small block tune. Maybe step up cc sizes on the accelerator pump diaphram. I plan to do some more on water tinkering and maybe give QF a call on that if it continues to be an issue.

Flooded the piss out of it when it had the vacuum leak to so the plugs probably aren't in the best shape at the moment either. Could be too that the float not being completely full and the fuel sloshes to the front of the front blow (instead of the rear like on a Direct Drive).

I have often thought turning the carb around on the big block V drive boats might be a better idea as it sits almost level anyways.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:50pm
I assume that has 30CC and 50CC pump diaphrams like the Holley? If so I doubt a 50CC diaphragm is needed. The 30CC should still be plenty for a stock BBC. I would think a more aggressive pump cam or pump nozzle would get you where you need to be.

I would first verify that the pump lever is actually properly adjusted to have zero slop in it before you try changing anything else.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 7:53pm
They look to be 30CC just like the Holley. It's very minimal so I think a cam or nozzle change would probably dial it right in.

I will double check the slop but I am pretty particular about that and the secondary closing rod when I play with carbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic