Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sweet! Got the wiring upgraded today

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweet! Got the wiring upgraded today
    Posted: May-10-2014 at 8:52pm
When I bought my '77 Ski Nautique two summers ago it came with a mid-80's motor, alternator with internal regulator, original wiring harness, and an ammeter. Needless to say, there was no charge going to the battery.

Today, after living it with for almost two years and just trickle charging the battery in between sessions, I upgraded the wiring harness with the upgrade kit from skidim:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK173070

And found a vintage voltmeter that ~almost~ matches perfectly:
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m2GiZ5cylIKRvNcZQMdb-Tw.jpg

And lo and behold, everything worked!

Now that's a good Saturday.
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 9:18pm
For the benefit of all, here's some proper links for Dug:
link # 1
link #2
Dug,
I sorry to see you got the volt meter instead of the amp meter since I feel the amp meter tells more. I had to do the same on my 77 only because the volt meter was the only one available with the gauges I installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 10:33am
Ahh, the age old Voltmeter vs ammeter debate. I think a voltmeter is a better route but stuck with my ammeter because it's original.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 12:34pm
Pete, I remember the old thread on this and I couldn't find it. Oh wait, here it is, I found it:
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31051

The big questions that brought the thread to a stop, is how do you make the ammeter work without the external voltage regulator?

It seemed to me that the Ammeter-External-Voltage-Regular deal was one setup, and that the New-Style-Alt-Internal-Reg-Voltameter was another setup. And you had to pick one or the other.

I'm sure there's a workaround out there, but no one had one at the time.

I say, congratulations on getting it figured it out and charging. I'm glad there was a solution that allows you to use the boat
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 8:28pm
Those 2 things should have nothing to do with one another. Using an ammeter simply requires you to run the output of the alternator to the ammeter first, then to all of your loads after that- otherwise it won't read what is actually being drawn. It requires a dedicated set of wires in the harness, and you can't tie the orange (alt) to the red (batt) on the engine side (this is how boats with voltmeters are commonly wired).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

all of your loads after that- otherwise it won't read what is actually being drawn.

What is actually being drawn or discharged is the key. A volt meter will not tell you that, The drawback to the amp meter is the heavy gauge wire needed to and from the meter. That's why the OEM's went to the volt meter!! They went CHEAP!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 9:42pm
I'm just stoked that I was able to take off my old wiring harness, effectively neutering the boat, and then put a new one on and have it not only start up again, but actually charge a battery now! :)

I do have one question though... Under the dash there's both an orange and a red wire coming up from the harness and were both on the same pole on the ammeter. The orange then feeds to all the fuses/switches. Seeing this, I taped up the red wire under the dash. Everything seems to be working correctly. Is this the right thing to do? All the references I've seen talk about taping up the orange wire...
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 10:19pm
Here's a couple wiring harness images from my 1976 Mustang, One is under the dash and the other is the engine diagram. I hope they help.

and
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2014 at 7:39pm
Thanks for the harness images Terry.

Between that and the explanations from Tim and Pete, it makes more sense now.
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2014 at 2:24am
Ditto on thumbs up for the harness images. Totally makes sense now!
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2014 at 8:38am
Originally posted by diggit diggit wrote:

Ditto on thumbs up for the harness images. Totally makes sense now!

You're most welcome; we aim to please..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic