Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know
    Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:05am
I bought a 69 SN back in the fall knowing it needed a lot of work. Why I bought it, I don't know, but I gave a guy some money and the boat followed my truck home. This is going to be my second stringer job, so it wasn't like I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I've been collecting parts over the winter and now I am fired up and ready to get started.

Pic from the Craigslist ad

Trailer was sandblasted and painted

Seats & Engine Cover were freshly recovered

Engine runs great, compression is good, trans shifts and doesn't have a dirty neutral
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:13am
Pulled off all of the trim, disconnected the engine and pulled it last night

Engine is out, finally have room to work

It is supposed to be nice out today, so I am going to pull off the through hull fittings and cut the floor out. Stringers are toast, I know this because lag bolts just spun when I tightened them and I can sink a screwdriver about 4 inches into the main stringers.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:18am
Wes - what a great project, the gel coat (red) appears to be in great shape, unless it has been painted. Could you do me (and maybe a lot of folks on the site) a favor, could you construct some sort of template for the stringers. At some point in the future, I am probably going to have to do this to my Dad's boat. Anyway, it will be fun to watch the progress!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:21am
Nice project
Keep us up on the progress
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:31am
I still have the stringers out of my '85
Thought I'd hang on to them in case I wanted to put them back in to make it original again for Pete

jpg[/IMG][/URL]=http://s256.photobucket.com/user/gun-driver/media/85%20boat%20rebuild/IMG_0582.jpg.html][/URL]
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:40am
I agree, that is a nice looking project. Did you do the trailer sandblasting or is that something the PO did?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:56am
WOW! Nice looking old SN! Definitely worth the work!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

I agree, that is a nice looking project. Did you do the trailer sandblasting or the PO did?

Thanks, Previous owner did the trailer, the interior and paid someone to get the engine running again (hadn't been started since 1998).

Can anyone identify if this a #2 or a #3 trailer or know what the length a #3 trailer is? This trailer seems kind of short for this boat. I know the boat can go farther on to the trailer, but I am starting to suspect it is a #2 trailer. When I first got the boat I walked to the back of the boat and the tongue went up in the air. Luckily with my cat like reflexs, I moved forward and it went back down.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Wes - what a great project, the gel coat (red) appears to be in great shape, unless it has been painted. Could you do me (and maybe a lot of folks on the site) a favor, could you construct some sort of template for the stringers. At some point in the future, I am probably going to have to do this to my Dad's boat. Anyway, it will be fun to watch the progress!

Steve,
Unfortunately it is paint. If I have the time and energy I am probably going to strip it, but I have some concerns as to why it was painted in the first place.
As far as a template, when I did my Mustang, like most, I pulled the stringers out one at a time and used the old stringer as a template. it was easier to matched the bottom contour. If they come out clean I will try to make a template for you.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Can anyone identify if this a #2 or a #3 trailer or know what the length a #3 trailer is? This trailer seems kind of short for this boat. I know the boat can go farther on to the trailer, but I am starting to suspect it is a #2 trailer. When I first got the boat I walked to the back of the boat and the tongue went up in the air. Luckily with my cat like reflexs, I moved forward and it went back down.

It looks to be sitting in the same place as our Gen1 Ski Nautique sits on it's factory trailer, tough to see but the end of the trailer lands almost between the words in Correct Craft.

Although I have never experience tongue going up in the air... Its tough to tell but it looks like your boat may not be all the way forward. A couple inches could make a BIG difference.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:32pm
That is a #3 for sure, not a #2. The boat does look to be sitting too far aft, which was confirmed when you almost tipped it! Get it moved forward to the point where it has proper tongue weight (10% = 200-300lbs) and it'll be fine. The standard (non-low boy) CC trailers stopped well short of the transom until 1984.

You'd be amazed at how many people paint boats just because they dont know any better. If there are no cracks showing through the paint, that means they either had a major repair that was fixed properly (every crack ground out and filled) or it was just painted to "look better", not knowing the gel could be restored. I say remove it and take your chances!

Bummer on breaking the steering wheel, those arent easy to find.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'll second that, hope it's easier then finding the one that went on our 63, actually the center cap was as difficult to find as the wheel - who knew it was off a Packard!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 4:34pm

The steering wheel was heartbreaking. I have no one to blame but myself, fat guys shouldn't grab on to old brittle steering wheels to pull themselves up. If I could kick my own A$$, I would.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 4:39pm

Nice Boat, Is that the original stripe? I see in the 68 reference brocure that the stripe ends at the spray rail.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:08pm
Completely un-restored and original. It has been in my family since it was purchased new from a factory rep (it was a demonstrator). The boot-stripe is "kind of original", I remember helping Dad re-paint it in the mid 80's, but it was definitely in that location and went all the way to the bow. Even though the Gen 1 Ski went from 1961 til 1970, there were some pretty big changes from the early gen 1 boats til the later ones, note especially the removal of the center deck circa 1966.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:38pm

I particularly like the green mottled bottom accents.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I particularly like the green mottled bottom accents.

They don't call it GREEN Lake for nothing!!!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:43pm
Had a lot of fun today, cut the floor out, removed 26 garbage bags of soaking wet foam. Boat should be about 800 lbs lighter in my estimation.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:46pm
Wondering if anyone is familiar with how this steering wheel center comes off. I have done enough damage and don't want to pry on it and snap it off- not that I would do that. Should have taken it off when I bought the boat.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:47pm
Wes,
Yup, another soggy foam boat by CC!! Keep up the good (and PITA) work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 10:59am
The small (round) center cap pries right out with a small screwdriver. It's held in by a bunch of small metal tabs. Go easy, but it's not real fragile. It should come very easy.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 2:21pm
I'll have to check when the marina opens back up if I still have one of those wheels, same ones came in alumnicrafts in the early 60's. Is that a Chrysler 273?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 2:50pm

I have a steering wheel like that    Minus the trim

Here's one on E-Bay-- but mine would be 1/2 the price of that one.

E-Bay Wheel
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Is that a Chrysler 273?

Jim,
What boat are you asking about?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:13pm

The small (round) center cap pries right out with a small screwdriver. It's held in by a bunch of small metal tabs. Go easy, but it's not real fragile. It should come very easy.

Thanks Tim,
Wheel & helm came right out. Once you say it, it seems obvious   
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Is that a Chrysler 273?

No it is a 318. I did have a 273 in my mustang. With the copper exhaust pipes it sounded sweet. It actually scared my neice
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:20pm

Engine runs great, compression is good, trans shifts and doesn't have a dirty neutral

Probably this one, Pete.

The 318 was pretty common in the SN at that point, 273 was more common in the Mustang.

Obviously it's been painted, manifolds replaced, etc.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:51am
Yeah, which is crazy that the manifolds have been replaced and they already look pretty bad, that engine looks like its had a rough life.

I love those 318/273's i've grown really really fond of my 273.

If you need any parts for this 318 let me know, i'm tearing apart a 318 currently.

That boat is amazing looking, too bad it's painted, you have a lot of orginal parts though....too bad on the steering wheel, i'm worried about ***************ing mine up also...has anyone looked into a good way to reinforce the wheel? I've thought about trying to figure out a way to fill the cavities on the backside with an epoxy to strengthen it up a bit.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 12:24pm
[QUOTE=turningpoint84] Yeah, which is crazy that the manifolds have been replaced and they already look pretty bad, that engine looks like its had a rough life.

I love those 318/273's i've grown really really fond of my 273.

If you need any parts for this 318 let me know, i'm tearing apart a 318 currently.QUOTE]

Peter,
I too will be tearing apart a 318 soon. Engine ran great, good compression (125- 140 psi), idled good, no smoke coming out of the exhaust- but when I drained the "oil" the other day it was water, followed by milky sludge. I haven't torn into it yet, but I assume a cracked block. Before winter, I drained the block and disconnected all of the hoses. i guess that when I start my investigation, I will find out for sure.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

I have a steering wheel like that    Minus the trim

Marty,
I received the steering wheel, trailer decals and the extra decals that you put in the package. Everything looks great, I really appreciate doing business with you. Everything in the package was something that I really needed.
Thanks again.
Wes
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic