Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 Sea Nautique Re-power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 Sea Nautique Re-power
    Posted: March-21-2014 at 7:27am
About a year ago my father and I started looking at this old boat that has been sitting in the yard on a main road in our town for about 20 years. Driven by it don't know how many hundreds of times, and finally we got a wild hair to go look at it and ask the owner about it. We ended up buying it for $2500, but getting it home was the hard part. The running gear on the trailer was SHOT, so we made use of some of our heavy equipment. Using a backhoe, we chained the front of the trailer and pulled it onto a lowboy trailer we had parked on the street (we had to do traffic control). We got it home pretty easy. About ten hours of pressure washing later We started to get a better idea of what we bought. Now this boat has a pilot house instead of the open console, so getting the motor out was a little harder. We took off the rear panel of the cab, removed the bucket from the backhoe, and stuck the pilot arm over the engine with a tight chain, and had just enough clearance to raise it off the mounts and out of the boat. Removed the tank, and pretty much anything else that looked questionable (everything). Where I live, inboard motors with straight shafts are reliable, but kinda dodgy in a number of the island's launch ramps. Our immediate plan was to re-strengthen the stringers, bilge, and transom, reposition the fuel tank, attach a bracket and mount twin 90-115 outboards.
Long story short, my wife got pregnant, I haven't touched the boat in 10 months, and am now getting back into it.
I am eager to hear from anyone owning a fish nautique hull about their take on weight distribution of this hull. My plan is to move the cab forward about a foot, cut the rail of the transom(both of these tasks will create a more usable aft deck), put the fuel tank beneath the deck into the bilge under the cab where the engine used to be (to put some weight forward), and then after all the glasswork put on a bracket (looking at Armstrong Nautical) and purchase some used Yamaha 115s from my friend in early October when his commercial tour season is over. Anyone have any opinions on my plans? feedback from experience?
Thanks in advance!
1981 Sea Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 9:06am
Hi Jon and welcome to the site.

We'd love to see pics of that boat. It's a rare one here. I'm sure most users here would suggest you stick with the inboard and get that working properly. Do you know the status of the engine?

Let's see what this beast looks like!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 9:12am
Pictures help! I was having a hard time envisioning what you were describing until I remembered that CC made a pilot house version of the 23' Fish for a few years, which sounds like what you have:

A few years later, it was replaced with this 27' monstrosity:

I certainly dont have any idea what the ramps are like in Hawaii, but unless staying with the inboard configuration just isnt possible, it seems like the way to go for the sake of reliability, cost and simplicity.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 11:21am
Wow, Tim. I thought I've been through all of the brochures several times, and don't remember seeing that 27-footer.

How cool is that canvas on the front of the 23-footer...

My kids used to call a cuddy the "basement" of the boat. They'd probably call that a fort.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 12:07pm
There are some pretty amazing canvas people out there you just have
to find them. Jon sounds like alot of work on an unknown boat,it's
not just a repower it's a reengineer.What happens when you go thru
all that work and you just don't like it? IMHO throw another gasser
in it and see how the boat works for you. How about having it lifted
in rather than submerging the trailer on questionable saltwater ramps?
30 bucks one way here in Florida saves your trailer and your time
cleaning it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm still figuring this site out, and having some trouble adding photos.
As I was dismantling the boat last year, I was impressed by the simplicity of the straight shaft and cable steering system, and even a bit guilty of removing it. I'm aways into making things as simple as can be, with the least amount of moving parts and rubber seals.
I am a commercial tour boat captain on the Na Pali coast during the summer months. One of the boats I run is a 32' 8 ton power cat with twin volvo diesel inboards with outdrives. The other is a much lighter 22' Corsair Foiler with twin 90 hp Honda outboards. The bigger boat stays in the water in a bay all summer long( except for maintainence or emergency pull-outs), while the smaller boat can be launched and retrieved daily out of a river. Where I live on the island, boaters are supplied with next to nothing. I have been taught launching and retrieving boats in a river sandbar that changes daily. All of our ocean access points on the North shore are either through rivers or over faint channels in shallow reefs. Other parts of the island have real launches and harbors, but that can be an hour+ drive. I will drive there when the bite is on that side, but I need a vessel that can work in any launch so I can follow the fish.
The conditions over here can be very demanding. While a lot of people envision fishing in Hawaii like the "Kona" Marlin tournaments or something, Kaua'i is nothing but exposed open ocean, fresh trade winds, and constant ground swells. I've done enough commercial boating to not feel comfortable with only one engine, so twin outboards is a necessity.
I have undertaken a pretty serious project, but I'm already well on the way. If It turns out I don't like the boat....
I guess It'll go on craigslist! I hope not...
There are many design qualities of this hull that I admire, and then there are also many corners that have been cut as well. The wooden stickers placed beneath the deck on top of the poured foam was pretty bizarre. SInce the boat sat for so long they had composted completely. I cut out the walls of the bilge with a grinder, then with my chainsaw I cut the foam straight across towards the hull about 4" below the deck. Then used a crowbar to pull it all out till I had exposed the inside of the hull on both sides the full length of the open bilge.
I'm not trying to go to the boat show or nothing, I just want this boat to be strong enough to handle the water over here, at least long enough to get some blood on the deck, and I'll sell it if I'm not stoked on it.
1981 Sea Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 4:16pm
Well, the conversion does seem to make sense in your situation.

Here's one that was converted to outboards.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 8:53pm
Thanks for the link, Jeff. That looks like a lot of power! I wonder where he placed his fuel tank. Looks like he may have modified the transom for the conversion, and it looks like he lowered his deck a few inches, at least from what mine looks like. I think i need to create a site of my project photos and post a link. Any suggestions? I'm not too computer savvy.
1981 Sea Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 12:24am
You might want a marine engineer to do some calculations as to strength of the outboard engine mounting system & how all that is tied into the transom & stringers. Are you going to use this commercially? If so, it may have to be surveyed or otherwise certified.

We do love our pictures - they need to be sized down in order to upload to the site.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 1:38pm
Wow this is going to be quite a project, will be cool to see the end project.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 3:57pm
Jon - you'll see a link in my signature on how to post pictures and videos. You can get a free photobucket account. Or, you can click on the "full reply" button and there will be an image icon that allows you to add an image here in the forums.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 4:14am
Well, I had some issues with Photobucket. I have very little patience for computers, and I have a pretty weak internet connection. Sorry they're not really chronologically organized. Hope you enjoy!

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/Nautikai/library/?sort=6&page=1
1981 Sea Nautique
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 4:22am
http://s72.photobucket.com/user/Nautikai/slideshow/

Maybe this time the link will be clickable?
1981 Sea Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 10:37am
Very cool Jon. Here's the fixed link for individual pics. Here's the slideshow.

It would be a shame to make that an outboard, but I understand it does make sense for you. That thing cleaned up real nice and the gel looks to be in great shape. Interesting that the decals said "Fish Nautique".

You guys certainly have the right equipment for lifting the boat and engine! That would have saved me about 2 days of work with my San Juan.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Nautikai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautikai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2014 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the link, Jeff. I'm gonna try and get the bunks carpeted and on the trailer today. Gotta make progress, even if it's small!
1981 Sea Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2014 at 4:39pm
You should try to contact that guy from the HullTruth forums to find out how he did it and some do's and don'ts.

My wife and I were on the Na Pali coast in 2001. We loved it and enjoyed some of the treacherous hikes.

Post some pictures of the river you launch in too! That sounds really cool.

There is a lot of knowledge on this site to help you with your project.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic