NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zerk fitting on rudder box question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zerk fitting on rudder box question
    Posted: March-06-2014 at 1:32pm
I went ahead and added a zerk fitting about 1 inch down from the bottom of the threads. Very little room in there, I could not rotate the normal tap tool so I used my drill with the tap placed in the jaws like you would mount a drill bit to thread the hole, it actually worked well, a little forward action then reverse, more forward, reverse about 10 times and it threaded all the way through.
Put locktite on the zerk and screwed it in thight. After clean up inside and out. The rudder is smooth as silk now with no tight spots or drag.
Now I just hope it does not leak.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2014 at 5:22pm
I pulled the rudder out of my 95, this is the boat recently picked up with 100 hours on it. The rudder was stiff, would not do a full rotation because of old stiff grease. While apart should I add a zerk fitting? On tear down my rudder grease was stiff and hardened, I will clean it and the housing add new packing and grease. The 95 does not have provision for O rings. Anything else I should do while it is out?
The 95 fuel tank sure gets in the way, it has the sump in it that drops down right in front of the rudder blocking all views. I suspect this was added in preparation of using an in-tank fuel pump or an anti sloshing device to allow using the full tank of gas?
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

just a quirk with my zerk can be a hassle to get off. Almost like the pressure is keeping it on there somehow.

LMAO. I think dogs have that problem. You just got to wait it out....
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

just a quirk with my zerk can be a hassle to get off. Almost like the pressure is keeping it on there somehow.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 2:53pm
Could be just a peculiarity of my grease gun, but if I give it more than two pumps or so, it seems like the gun end really sticks onto the fitting and it can be a hassle to get off. Almost like the pressure is keeping it on there somehow.

Could be just a quirk with my zerk though
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

A very clean rudder shaft/port with fresh grease is something magical.

Ain't that the truth!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 3:38pm
You're right Tim. I thought they got rid of the packing but I just checked a 14 that is apart from the show still it has packing at the top and double 0 rings at the bottom. Wasn't thinking as clearly this morning ;).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 12:30pm
Zach, are you sure the ports with zerk fittings didnt still feature a normal packing gland with packing inside? I have never owned one or inspected one up close, but I thought the only difference was the addition of the zerk and the oring seal(s). No way that grease is going to provide the same type of water seal as the packing would. Either way, would love to see pics if you have some around.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 12:25pm

It may have packing. Regardless while it's all apart drop the rudder and check it all out. A very clean rudder shaft/port with fresh grease is something magical.

It's on my To-Do list. Just not right now. I plan on running the boat with the rear section off to see if it's leaking any. I'll also be inspecting the shaft log for leakage as well.

I have no idea if the packing in either has ever been changed. The safety wire looks pretty old.

I'd like to get it done soon though.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 12:20pm
It may have packing. Regardless while it's all apart drop the rudder and check it all out. A very clean rudder shaft/port with fresh grease is something magical.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 10:55am

If it has a Zerk it should be a double 0 ring style seal on that box with no packing unless someone drilled and added it. Packing along with it won't hurt anything. The grease will come out the bottom of the port by the rudder if you over fill it. No big deal.

Good to know. I was thinking it had packing it and was going to replace it soon. I've never taken it apart so I have no idea if there's packing in there or not.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 10:49am
If it has a Zerk it should be a double 0 ring style seal on that box with no packing unless someone drilled and added it. Packing along with it won't hurt anything. The grease will come out the bottom of the port by the rudder if you over fill it. No big deal.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 11:07pm
You would have to go some to damage the
rudder box with grease. A couple 3 shots
with a grease gun(marine grease) once a
year and you should be good to go.

It's a water seal as much as anything.

Isn't there a rope seal in there also.
(just like the drive shaft)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 10:04pm
Do I fill it until grease comes out of the top of the rudder box? How do I know what too much is? I'm assuming I can damage it by overfilling.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 8:41pm
I suggest you do it every spring. I use a marine grade like you would use on your bearings.
83Ski
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2014 at 8:17pm
I have never greased up anything on our boat since we purchased it last June. I noticed there's a zerk fitting on the rudder box. How often do I need to grease this and what grease do you recommend?

Are there any other spots to grease up?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic