NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rear tie down questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear tie down questions
    Posted: December-12-2013 at 11:45am
I currently do not have anything securing the rear of our boat on the trailer. The trailer is not a stock trailer.

I decided to purchase some retractable tie downs, but I'm not sure about the best way to mount them.

I would like to through bolt the tie down to the outside of the bunk, but I don't want to the straps to rub against the hull for fear of scratching or color transfer ( a few coworkers with boats told me this can be an issue on a white hull).

I figure I would attach the hooks to the platform bracket. Is the bracket strong enough to handle this?

I do not have access to the lift rings from the bottom. Could I remove the plastic buckets and use them instead?

I have not measured the tongue weight of my trailer, but there may be room to move the boat up an inch or so if needed to make this work.

I was also told I should try some bunk glides as they would save my carpet and make my life easier as well. Anyone have any experience with bunk glides?

Suggestions????

Here is a pic of the boat on the trailer and of the tie down.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 11:49am
A few more pics. In the one pic, the boat is overhanging the bunks. She was not on all the way in that pic, but you get a better view of the trailer.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:03pm
Here is a pic of mine. N3 ordered and I assume set up the Phoenix trailer, Zach might have more to add

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:11pm
That would be an ideal way to hook them up, but I don't have a stock trailer, nor am I buying one anytime soon.

I'm assuming the swim platform brackets are strong enough to tie down to. I wasnt sure.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:24pm
Many, many people use the platform brackets. I'm not in love with that concept but I'm undoubtedly outnumbered.

I would advise against bunk slides. There simply is no need and have caused, yet avoidable, accidental launchings on pavement.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Many, many people use the platform brackets. I'm not in love with that concept but I'm undoubtedly outnumbered.

I would advise against bunk slides. There simply is no need and have caused, yet avoidable, accidental launchings on pavement.

Would it be better to attach the tie downs to the lift rings if I could remove the plastic buckets?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:33pm
You can remove the buckets but then you'll have holes in the transom. No problem, put the screws with fresh sealant back in. Now you can use the rings to tie down to. But then you'll also have defeated the purpose of those buckets. Not sure which method is really better at that point...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 1:53pm
Every trailer we order is generally optioned with retractable tie downs. A great thing IMHO. Are they needed with the older factory trailers? Absolutely not. But they do make people feel warm and fuzzy. The only inboard I have ever towed that had any issues with sliding under normal driving circumstances were SN200s.

I agree with HW I would rather use the eyelets but if you are bending platform brackets you probably have more issues you need to deal with than having bent brackets ha.

The issue with yours is that they are going to rub the rear of the boat because it overhangs the bunks. Do you have issues with it sliding around? Maybe make up some extended wood bunks that over hang the boat enough to make the straps not rub the transom?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 2:11pm
I don't see retractable tie downs working well on your trailer. Waste of money. You could screw them into the end grain sure, but that is far from ideal, and then you have to make sure to be all the way on the trailer.

Why not just a gunnel strap?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 2:45pm
HW, his fenders look as if the boat slides it might run into them.

We are lucky in that aspect because our boats on factory trailers can't possible have that issue.

But, I am a big advocate of just using a bow strap. If you have the boat bouncing off the rear of the trailer or sliding to the point of damage you need to adjust your driving habits or pick up another trailer.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

The issue with yours is that they are going to rub the rear of the boat because it overhangs the bunks. Do you have issues with it sliding around? Maybe make up some extended wood bunks that over hang the boat enough to make the straps not rub the transom?

I have room to move the bow catcher forward to move the boat further up the bunks. Right now I have about 2-3 inches of bunk sticking out past the transom. The boat does not overhang past the bunks. The pic above was when she wasn't seated against the bow catcher properly. The pic was taken when I was still learning how to load the boat. Obviously I failed in the pic above.

I've had the boat bounce off the bunks twice recently. Once when I hit a pot hole and the other when I hit a dip in the asphalt. The sound it made was terrible and I'd like to prevent this from happening in the future.

If the boat slides left or right it will not make contact with the tops of the fenders.

I'd rather not take the buckets off if I don't have to. I can always put a backing plate on the platform brackets on the inside of the hull if I had to. I'll have the boat torn apart next month so I can send it off to be re-gelcoated.

I've thought about the gunnel strap, but didn't like the idea of it or the idea of dirt and debris getting caught up under the strap and possibly scratching the gelcoat.

I'll post some better pics when I get home later to show better detail of where the rear of the boat sits and I'll try to mock up some moutning spots for the retractable tie downs. I only have three feet of strap to work with.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 3:00pm
Mine slid terribly left to right before I strapped it down...I took one turn on the highway too fast once and the boat slid into the fender, pushed the fender against the tire, which rubbed the side of the tire off and blew it out. That was a fun day.

I strap it from two eyelets on the outside of the trailer frame crossways to the platform brackets and I haven't had a problem since. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but I think you get the idea...it makes a big X that holds it side to side.

I don't have the fancy retractable straps like those, I think mine are 10,000lb ratcheting jobs that work real good. Just remember to unstrap them before you back it down the ramp, they're way harder to take off under water.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 3:09pm
Long screws thru the floor right into that giant bunk lumber should hold her real good!!

I'm with HW, would lose those retractables and just get a standard ratchet strap, you could through bolt an eyelet to the I Beam or Bunk lumber as a tie down point.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 3:13pm
or just loop around it and hook back to the platform bracket (what i would do)
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Long screws thru the floor right into that giant bunk lumber should hold her real good!!

I'm with HW, would lose those retractables and just get a standard ratchet strap, you could through bolt an eyelet to the I Beam or Bunk lumber as a tie down point.

I was thinking of putting the ratcheting tie down on the inside or outside of the bunk and then run the strap up to the platform bracket. It should clear the transom and give me a good straight shot.

I'll have to post some more pics later when I get home.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 3:43pm
I could sell you a new 200?? haha
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I was thinking of putting the ratcheting tie down on the inside or outside of the bunk and then run the strap up to the platform bracket.

outside, pitots are on the inside.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 4:52pm
I think the plastic covers over the lift rings were meant to prevent exhaust from coming into the boat. I seem to remember when the NWZ hull came out they learned the aerodynamics caused the exhaust to do that and the plastic covers resolved it. Anyone else remember that? I am getting old and that was a long time ago. I've never removed my covers for that reason.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I could sell you a new 200?? haha

I wish, but wifey likes expensive vacations, so we're stuck with our old '92SN for a while.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 5:09pm
I just use a couple HD ratchet straps I got from a bud who used to work at ATL HD and had a crate full. They work great!

+1 on what Adam said about making sure you remove before launching. Floats the tail end of a trailer REAL good.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2013 at 8:25pm
So here are some pics of some ideas for mounting this thing. The strap never touches the boat in either configuration.

First pic has buckle mounted in bottom of bunk. I'd through bolt it with a huge washer or two. There's a slight twist in the strap, but I dont see it being a problem.

This pic has the buckle mounted to the aluminum I-Beam with the strap going under the bunk. Not too keen on this, but I figured I'd put it out there.

There's a small gap between the boat the the top of the fender. It's very close, but doesn't touch.

I have this much room to move the boat forward if needed. Still working on getting the actual tongue weight the way it currently sits. Takeing a scale home from work tomorrow to weigh it.

Whadya think?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 9:06am
nothing?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 10:59am
Both of mine are also non-factory and a bit mismatched but useful. I'm a big believer in playing it safe and securing the stern, but I have no swim platforms which makes it a bit simpler.

From what I can see, the photo with the arrows would seem to keep it down on the bunks, but not prevent forward motion; if your bowstop is good probably not an issue, but regardless, IMHO whatever you can do to secure your boat is better than nothing.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 11:04am
bow stop is fine. I also have it attached to the winch and also use a turnbuckle as a secondary.

The only problem I need to fix is the tail coming off the bunks when I hit bumps or dips.

My pro bass fishing buddy said I should try to put the buckle on the inside of the bunks for a straighter shot to the platform bracket to avoid wear on the strap where it meets the end of the bunk in the first pic.

I'll check this out later when I get home.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 11:15am
I'm gonna say go with the first picture if you're going to do this. The less strappage you have the better off you'll be. One would think the boat wont move if it's tied down to the trailer but you might be surprised. Also take into consideration of water draining from the strap housing once the boat is launched. If you mount it like picture 1 the water will drain out of it as opposed to water just sitting there if you mount it horizontally.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 11:42am
#1 would work well. would not even consider option #2

mounting on the inside of the bunk (similar to #1) would be a pita to use.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2013 at 12:03pm
Agree with above, go with option 1 and see how it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic