Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My boat starts in gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My boat starts in gear
    Posted: March-09-2006 at 12:44pm
Took my boat out for the first time this year on Saturday. It ran really strong and I was super fired up, except the boat will start in gear. Has anyone run into this problem? I took out the throttle assembly a while back to change out the pad. I know I put it back exactly like it was. What's the deal? From a safety aspect it freaks me out a little that this is happening. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Tate
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 12:50pm
sonds like a switch has been by-passed. Look at the transmission on the drivers side and see if the two wires on the side are attached to the same post.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 8:51am
Tate What year boat? I agree with 79 unless it's a pre 75 I think Then there was no neutral switch.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 11:45am
Does it start when in neutral but moves forward,or will it really start if in forward?
If starting in neutral but moving forward the cables need to be adjusted,but if it really starts when in gear the previous posters are correct seems the neutral switch is by passed or non-functioning.Either way its scary and should be fixxed soon.

Munday
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 12:50pm
The boat is an '80 and really does start in forward. Today I'm going to check the wires to see if they're connected to the same post. Thanks guys.
Tate
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 11:39am
If I remember right from my trans rebuild, there is a ball and spring in the neutral switch that could be stuck or the spring bad. The switch is not expensive, less than $20.
Bob Ed
83 2001
1970starcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970starcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 1:44am
I have the same problem with my 1970 evinrude 60hp. It has been sitting for the last 20 or so years in a boat house. The motor runs great, just like it's brand new. But it starts in gear. Is it the same fix or should I be looking for something else. Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks in advance.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 2:16am
We only do outboards on Mondays, check back later.....
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 2:36am
Dr. That is a classic!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic