Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PCM Pro-Boss GT40 MP EFI - Rusty Exhaust System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Pro-Boss GT40 MP EFI - Rusty Exhaust System

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Pro-Boss GT40 MP EFI - Rusty Exhaust System
    Posted: September-15-2013 at 7:18pm
Hello guys,

So following the tuning up of my engine (PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 EFI from a '95 Ski Nautique) were I replaced spark plugs, s.p. wires, distributor cap and rotor (see this topic here), when I was replacing the spark plugs I realized that my exhaust manifold was like this:

Rusty exhaust manifold:

Leakages on the joints of the exhaust system

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_images/post_button_image.gif

My first thought was to remove the exhaust manifold and exhaust riser and have them stripped/pickled (I don't know the correct name for this process) and then apply a new coating and painting. This is relatively easy since I work on a bicycle production plant and we perform these kind of operations on bicycle frames. Furthermore I would need new bolts, washers, etc., the gaskets also seem to have vanished, therefore I would definitely need a complete exhaust service kit.

Is this the correct kit for my engine?
EXHAUST MANIFOLD SERVICE KIT (INSTALLATION KIT) - PCM FORD ENGINES, #RP173029

Can I have your help on this? Do you think it's important to fix this or do you think I should leave it like it is? Is it a risky operation? Are there any special precautions to take into consideration?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 10:08pm
since it appears to be leaking, yes, you need to do a gasket set.   Ski-dim has the complete service kit, and you should pressure test your manifold if you do take it apart.   Manifolds go bad after a while(they rust through)

You can clean and paint the manifolds if you wish, but I am not sure that they will gain longevity, just a pretty paint job. I would fix them because of the leaking, not due to the cosmetics.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 6:40am
What I also don't like about all this rust (besides the looks) is that it starts dripping (due to the leakages) and contaminating the cylinder heads... and I'm a bit afraid that I might be having problems with this in the future.
Ski Nautique 196 OB (1995)
PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 Multiport EFI 5.8L 310hp
750 hours
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 5:31pm
Definetely the gasket between riser and elbow needs attention. That same leak cound be on the inside thus leaking to the exhaust ports on the heads...I know as i had that problem...
Once you break them apart have both surface on a file to make sure they are completely flat. Only then replace the gasket con bolts...
The longer bolts will problably break on removal.
as for the outside rust on the lower parts, I removed mine with a wire brush, and then applied heat resistant paint. This was 2 years ago, so far they are holding...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 5:52pm
Be ready for some work if you do year into this. As kapla said things will probably snap on removal. Ill bet a lot of engines look like this but most owners don't know or care.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 7:57pm
I think I will give it a try... Now that I found what's going on there I can't really stop thinking about it. Let's put it like this, if it was your boat would you do it?
750 hours
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by PT Skier PT Skier wrote:

I think I will give it a try... Now that I found what's going on there I can't really stop thinking about it. Let's put it like this, if it was your boat would you do it?

Maybe a different answer from me than from HW, but yes I would. If your EM is leaking internally, you can damage the engine, and that gets expensive. gaskets are cheap compared to an engine repair.   To me, this is a maintenance item and a winter Saturday project. Give those bolts a good whack with a ball peen hammer, then work them out, a little at a time, rotating them in the tight direction if they start to bind a bit.   I have used an impact wrench on my manifold to head bolts (loosening only) and have not had a problem on either of the two sets I've had off.   One engine was 1400 hours, the other was 300... it may be coincidence, but I like my streak so far.    when you start to work on the exhaust hoses, get a small screw driver between the hose and the riser, then spray some WD-40 in the gap.   you'll be surprised at how little effort it takes to get the hose off, and you won't damage anything by adding the lubricant. ATF/acetone or another penetrating oil is going to be your friend on the bolts too.   also, with all that oil floating around, don't forget to protect your carpets!

PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Maybe a different answer from me than from HW, but yes I would. If your EM is leaking internally, you can damage the engine, and that gets expensive. gaskets are cheap compared to an engine repair.   To me, this is a maintenance item and a winter Saturday project. Give those bolts a good whack with a ball peen hammer, then work them out, a little at a time, rotating them in the tight direction if they start to bind a bit.   I have used an impact wrench on my manifold to head bolts (loosening only) and have not had a problem on either of the two sets I've had off.   One engine was 1400 hours, the other was 300... it may be coincidence, but I like my streak so far.    when you start to work on the exhaust hoses, get a small screw driver between the hose and the riser, then spray some WD-40 in the gap.   you'll be surprised at how little effort it takes to get the hose off, and you won't damage anything by adding the lubricant. ATF/acetone or another penetrating oil is going to be your friend on the bolts too.   also, with all that oil floating around, don't forget to protect your carpets!

Thanks for the input, some very useful hints there. I wasn't consider the hose sticking problem and your solution seems logic. So the plan would be to remove EM and Riser apart, check for leakages with a pressure test and get everything back together with the EM service kit.

That sounds like a good and entertaining plan for the winter season!

Once I remove the EM, do I need to have special care with the cylinders' heads? Do I need to seal the exhaust ports in some way while I'm working on the EM?

One more thing, kapla you mentioned "heat resistant paint". Do you have any idea on the temperature degrees we are talking about? 200ºF? More?
750 hours
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 2:42pm

So the plan would be to remove EM and Riser apart, check for leakages with a pressure test and get everything back together with the EM service kit.

I have taken the manifold off without removing the riser in the past... it's heavy this way, and I'm not sure that it makes a difference what order they come off in.

That sounds like a good and entertaining plan for the winter season!

Once I remove the EM, do I need to have special care with the cylinders' heads? Do I need to seal the exhaust ports in some way while I'm working on the EM?.

If your boat is outside, I would stick an oily rag in each exhaust hole. If it's in a garage or covered area where squirrels aren't going to stuff it full of something, it'll probably be ok.

Do you have any idea on the temperature degrees we are talking about? 200ºF? More?

I am not sure what the temp is, but the connection to the engine is very hot.    the water temp is around 160 or so coming out of the engine, and the exhaust temp will be much hotter than that. You can use engine paint, I think they have some that goes to 1200° or so in the engine paint section of your local auto parts store, or get some barbecue paint from the local hardware store.   make sure you get high temp primer as well, or the paint you choose will come right off.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 4:38pm
In the company I work for, we paint oil pans for Mercedes, but I think that the temperature requirements for oil pans are way bellow as for the manifolds. I'll check that out and see if the paint is suitable or not. By the way, do you know if the manifold can be painted on the interior?
750 hours
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 6:39pm
I used the stove/bbq paint, no primer, yup that connection between heads and riser gets really hot, the rest wont go over 180...

I choose gloos paint to keep it oem look.

But theres a ceramic coating that come in flat black that some have used and seems to last longer...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 6:43pm
I would not paint the interior of the manifold. you cannot get that clean enough to ensure that the paint will stick, and if the coating is not even, or complete, it doesn't do any good to protect the metal from water/rust.   I would guess if you did paint, you would deal with flaking paint out the exhaust in just a few trips out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic