Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987/1986 Ski Nautique Stern Seat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987/1986 Ski Nautique Stern Seat
    Posted: July-24-2013 at 2:14am
I am looking to buy a 1981-1988 Ski Nautique boat. Several that I have seen, have no stern/back seat. Is that common? How do you add one in? In my searches, I see skins for existing seats but nothing on new seats altogether.

Any help is appreciated.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 7:30am
Andy - On the base model, the rear seat was just a block of foam covered in vinyl. This would be easy to replicate if you are looking for a boat without a rear seat.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:10am
I guess I want more than a block of foam. What resources are available to discover options?

This would be my first boat so I have no experience building seats. I have done home renovations just not boats marine.

Thanks again for any pointers
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:20am
It is a huge block of foam... If I were to rebuild I would build a storage bin below and use a thinner piece of foam as the seat. The existing one is about 8 inches tall. There's also a back rest that snaps to the back.

If this is your first boat and it's an 80's Nautique, have you checked the stringers and floor for rot?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:30am
Thanks for tip. I did not check for rot. How does one go about that?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 11:37am
Take a look at this thread and the video in the first post.

Also, look for delaminated fiberglass, obvious cracks, soft spots in the floor, exposed wood. If this is a boat you haven't bought yet, send us a link or pictures so we can give you some opinions and guidance.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:01pm
This is the 87
http://southbend.craigslist.org/boa/3913226925.html

Turns out it has no back seat.

and this is the 86
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/3947215695.html

one is half the price..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:15pm
The 87 says it was always stored indoors or on a covered lift. If this is the case, it may very well be rot free. It is on a Mastercraft trailer, which isn't a problem just something CCFans notice. Maybe because it was always stored on the lift and the trailer was out in the elements.

The 86 doesn't have any pics or much information.

Obviously, the price of the 86 is more appealing, but that $3000 quickly turns into $5000 if you need a stringer job.

Test drive them both and try to get more information.

Also look at this FAQ post and the few links to what to do when buying a used boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Andy - On the base model, the rear seat was just a block of foam covered in vinyl. This would be easy to replicate if you are looking for a boat without a rear seat.

Here's a pic of the base rear seat in my 88'

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 6:26pm
that would be awesome if I just had a seat like the base shown in your image. Is that $100 or $1000? How do I go about building or getting it built? Can you buy it used like car parts at a salvage yard?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 10:11pm
Keep your eye out for a foam mattress that someone is tossing. If you don't sew in stripes, the vinyl work is pretty simple & can be done with home sewing machine. I would put some treated plywood under it & have it up on some 2x2s to keep the mold down.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 2:00am
thanks for all the advice. I need to examine the stringers and do a better inspection.

I have seen the 87 but not 86 yet. All things being equal, they both have 1100 hours and no back seat. I would take the cheaper one.

$3K seems pretty cheap for a working motor and good hull even if the rest is rotten, no?
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 11:41am
How much were the two rear seat options in '87???
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by agrohe21 agrohe21 wrote:

thanks for all the advice. I need to examine the stringers and do a better inspection.

I have seen the 87 but not 86 yet. All things being equal, they both have 1100 hours and no back seat. I would take the cheaper one.

$3K seems pretty cheap for a working motor and good hull even if the rest is rotten, no?

Depends on how much your time is worth and if you have the patience and room to do this work. Stringer replacement, if done properly, is said to be $2000 and 200 hours of work. Once you have the engine out you may discover other issues or things you want to improve. Do you have a garage where you can do this over an extended period of time? If you are dedicated, you can do it over the winter and be ready for next year but it is a big project.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
agrohe21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agrohe21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 6:09pm
I have a garage with plenty of space. I am just not sure I want to spend the time and money. Maybe one or the other :)

thanks again everyone. I will post more if/when I buy one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic