Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 Ski Nautique steering slop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99 Ski Nautique steering slop
    Posted: July-14-2013 at 1:06am
The boat is a 99 closed bow ski nautique used exclusively on a slalom course. The steering is very loose feeling and it makes driving in a straight line through the slalom course very difficult. The steering wheel can literally rotate between 8:00 and 9:00 (30°) without actually engaging the rudder.

I've done a lot of looking where people say to check the rack and pinion along with the various things in the back of the boat. All good info... However, I went under the helm the other day and noticed that when the steering wheel moves in it's sloppy area, the end of the pinion shaft doesn't actually move.

This leads me to believe that there is some kind of connection, that is quite loose, between the steering wheel and the pinion shaft. Any ideas what that could be or how to fix it? My guess is it's part of the tilt system but I'm really not familiar with this system.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 2:21am
The tilt has a couple of bolts that clamp the helm, it's possible they could be loose. You'll have to remove the steering wheel and the rubber and plastic trim to get to it, they are hex bolts with nyloc nuts. The gear in the helm could be slipping, I think it's pressed onto the shaft.

Everytime I've had a simalar issue it has been play in the clamp block, you should be able to move it around by hand and not feel any play.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 11:36am
If there is a gear in the helm, I'm guessing that's most likely the root cause. I'll check the clamp block as well to ensure it's not loose.

Ok bare with me a bit... To remove the steering wheel, I'm assuming it's just the bolts on the steering wheel itself. To remove the rubber and plastic trim, is there just a large bolt in the middle? Do I need to use my steering wheel puller?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 1:04pm
If your 99 is like my 93 then yes, there is a big bolt in the middle holding on your steering wheel. Mine came off with a little wiggling and tugging. I'm highly suspicious that it is the tilt-mechanism in your column. Perhaps the bolt that attaches the fwd to aft pieces has come loose (I'm having a hard time describing this). Let us all know what you find. Also - since it happens in one spot, make sure you are not missing a tooth on the gear.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 1:04pm
Clamp block is an easy check and I can't tell you exactly what it did to cause my symptoms because someone pointed me that direction first.

The steering wheel should have 1 nut in the middle, 3/4 or 7/8 I think. Once thats off there is a rubber boot and a plastic trim ring that is screwed down. What's left is the tilt, the helm comes in through the back of the dash. Keep the steering wheel handy to turn things so you have acces to the bolts to remove the helm. Needlenose pliers for the springs on the tilt. Long Allen wrenches should get it done and I think there are 3 big Phillips screws that hold the tilt to the dash. I removed the side plates on the tilt the first time, but it's not nessecary.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I'm highly suspicious that it is the tilt-mechanism in your column. Perhaps the bolt that attaches the fwd to aft pieces has come loose (I'm having a hard time describing this). Let us all know what you find. Also - since it happens in one spot, make sure you are not missing a tooth on the gear.

I understand what you're talking about and plan to check that.

Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Clamp block is an easy check and I can't tell you exactly what it did to cause my symptoms because someone pointed me that direction first.

The steering wheel should have 1 nut in the middle, 3/4 or 7/8 I think. Once thats off there is a rubber boot and a plastic trim ring that is screwed down. What's left is the tilt, the helm comes in through the back of the dash. Keep the steering wheel handy to turn things so you have acces to the bolts to remove the helm. Needlenose pliers for the springs on the tilt. Long Allen wrenches should get it done and I think there are 3 big Phillips screws that hold the tilt to the dash. I removed the side plates on the tilt the first time, but it's not nessecary.

I think I know what you're talking about. Ultimately, it sounds like no special tools are required with the slight exception of a really large socket so I'm sure I can keep disassembling until I find the culprit. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic