NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RH or LH??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RH or LH??
    Posted: February-20-2006 at 7:44pm
when sitting at the drivers seat looking at the motor, it turns clockwise as it runs,is this a standard or reverse rotation engine, reason i ask,i am looking at buying a msd billet distributer,and 6m box for my 351pcm,will it work if the distributer was actually designed for automotive use? providing the motor is spinning in the same direction as an auto engine.i dont have a ford so i dont know if they are sinning the same way.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 8:19pm
Use only a distributor designed for marine use. Do not use an automotive distributor no matter what direction your engine spins. Distributors for boats may cost a little more but they are designed to minimize the possibility of an explosion. The hazard is that your marine engine runs in an enviornment where gasoline fumes can accumulate as opposed to an auto where the engine is exposed and ventilated to the enviornment.

This may be the most important information you ever get from this site.

I would like to answer your LH/RH question but any answer I give you stands a 50% chance of being wrong.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 8:23pm
Don't worry Jim, 79 will set him straight.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 8:24pm
I live for it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 9:37pm
hey jim, thanks for the eye opener, never thought of it that way, just thinking of reliabiliy, money is no object when it comes to the safety of my family. how reliable are the pertronix conversions? if i recall corectly,i ran a msd 6al w/rev limiter on my jet boat,with a mallory marine distributor,the points were used to trigger the box,but with that being said,that was an open engine, and when i was a lot less wiser!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 11:06pm
you can get a marine version msd box, summit will have them, the options for distributors are a little less, I would include some links but its late and I am sleepy.. I am sure someone will come through with them..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 5:51am
Facing the engine, if it turns counter clockwise it is RH. Hey Jim, talking about marine distributors, if your Mustang has a mallory, check the cap, make sure it doesn't have a small vent hole, the last cap I got was in the wrong box. Also the metal part underneath the cap on the mallory has a small copper mesh vent.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 6:27am
gregr1971, I'm assumming that you are referenig to the motor in the ski centurien and it is a standard rotation left hand motor. You have to look at it from the rear facing forward to get the rotation correct, well it easier that way so as you stand from the rear the engine would be spinning to the left thus left hand rotation. As far as the distributor goes on a 351 LH/RH rotation engine the dist. will spin the same way the only difference is the gear on the dist and cam and the last time I checked MSD does not make a marine grade dist for the 351W engine and you will ahve to use a mallory unit ylu-554-cv or dv depending which direction the engine is.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 9:22am
79; You back home?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MikeSki6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeSki6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 5:54pm
Greg,
You can tell if you have a right or left hand drive by referring to the Engine Model Identification tag, which is attached to your engine. The third place(letter) under the "MODEL" will either be an L (for left hand rotation from the rear) or an R (for right hand from the rear).
Let us know which route you go with the distributor and how it works. I'm actually looking to replace mine as well and would like to know the ups as downs with my options.
Good luck!
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:03am
Originally posted by MikeSki6 MikeSki6 wrote:

Greg,
You can tell if you have a right or left hand drive by referring to the Engine Model Identification tag, which is attached to your engine. The third place(letter) under the "MODEL" will either be an L (for left hand rotation from the rear) or an R (for right hand from the rear).
Let us know which route you go with the distributor and how it works. I'm actually looking to replace mine as well and would like to know the ups as downs with my options.
Good luck!

Mike,
My tag is (eng model- PLD WR L10). It's a PCM 351. The engine manual is misleading stating the PLD is the engine model (that's ok), it says the WR is tranny info (?) and the last digit "L10" which ID's special feature like EFI. Looking from the rear the prop is a left hand (turns left to move forward). Any idea what the WR and L10 stand for?
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 11:13am
screw the model number you don't need that sh*t to figure it out.

You have a standard rotation motor thus the left counterclockwise prop rotation ok got it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Messer Messer wrote:

PLD WR L10

'79 is right, your motor is LH.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:01pm
The "L" part of "L10" designates the prop shaft rotation.

The "PLD" indicates left hand rotation (standard or automotive), Ford 351cid/5.8L, 4" bore, 3.5" stroke, 8.3:1 compression ratio, 240 HP. Or something similiar.

I do not have information on the "WR and the "10"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:09pm
From the PCM engine manual, posted by Larry (75 Tique):

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:23pm
I knew I have seen this before. Curious that my manual list "D" as 240HP above it lists "D" as 255HP. Things change, I guess.

My engine ID # is PLD PR R12PTT. So, I can figure out everything except the "PTT" part.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 1:41pm
The hp ratings seem to vary slightly depending on the year and whose literature you read (PCM vs. CC). I dont think there are any differences between the 240/255 or 285/300 versions.

That page out of the manual obviously isnt current. Looks like the 1.23 is designated by the "12". Curious what the PTT is. I also believe the 285/300 hp carb'd motor is represented by a "P" in the 3rd digit.
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:23am
Thanks guys this explains in detail. Did I mention I love the CCF Forums?

79 thanks for the info- you have a way with words! I'm a 20+ military man, do I remember seeing you with a drill instructor hat on?

20 yrs military...obviously not specializing in mechanics.
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:24am
He has been called that before and worse. He is the guy that is called to set the newbies straight. If he don't piss you off and make you cry, then you have a chance at becoming CCF material..........boat dr
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:29am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

I knew I have seen this before. Curious that my manual list "D" as 240HP above it lists "D" as 255HP. Things change, I guess.

My engine ID # is PLD PR R12PTT. So, I can figure out everything except the "PTT" part.

Push To Trim, at least thats what it is on O/B controls.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:32am
behindpropeller, not,,,,,,,,

PTT....Power Tilt & Trim
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:33am
He he .. that's great stuff! I saw your boat pics on the reunion board. You should be ashamed of having that much talent. Notice that pictures of my boat are from ...far away!
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
gregr1971 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregr1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:46am
WOW!!! I can't believe this topic is still going! 1yr & 5 months later!! i am getting close to buying another ski boat, hope i can finD a CC!!!! (reasonable)
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:31am
Originally posted by gregr1971 gregr1971 wrote:

WOW!!! I can't believe this topic is still going! 1yr & 5 months later!! i am getting close to buying another ski boat, hope i can finD a CC!!!! (reasonable)

If not I'll sell you my American Skier so I can go buy another CC.
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

behindpropeller, not,,,,,,,,

PTT....Power Tilt & Trim

Im sure thats correct for outboards, but I doubt thats what it stands for on DavidF's '93 Ski Nautique.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:03pm
I am leaning toward having something to do with (P)ro(T)ec and (T)BI.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

gregr1971, I'm assumming that you are referenig to the motor in the ski centurien and it is a standard rotation left hand motor.

I realize this was an old post, and this issue was probably long since resolved. I'm just reading for the first time.

I'm not an expert in Centurions, but I do know that Centurion has used RH rotation motors in their boats. I'm not positive if they've done this on all years, or if they continue to do it, but I do know that their 90s model boats used the reverse rotations, just as CC did. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic