NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 Mustang Fuel Additive Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 10:20pm
Jeff,
I've been gone for a week so forgive my late comments. I understand you are not a mechanic but also understand the the PO you bought the boat from wasn't ether. He was truly a "back yard hacker"! Stick with all the comments others have made and understand there are some big differences between running to the auto supply for parts and truly getting marine equipment. The hard pipe from the pump (marine pump of course )is going to require some bending as mentioned but worth it so you are not boating in a BOMB!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 11:32am
So I changed the plugs and wires yesterday. Put in Motorcraft Copper gapped at 35 and she is purring. Still want to change the cap, rotor and points. Finding these products has been VERY hard. I think I found the right cap here.. http://www.amazon.com/Prestolite-9-29416-Flat-Marine-Distributor/dp/B0060LJPJU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2U8859YJRTBCB&coliid=I2FIB6N04TP0A6 but I can't find the right rotor anywhere. I have looked through more images than I can count. Havent even started to look for the points. Anyone now where I can find the rotor and points for this thing?
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 11:33am
http://www.amazon.com/Prestolite-9-29416-Flat-Marine-Distributor/dp/B0060LJPJU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2U8859YJRTBCB&coliid=I2FIB6N04TP0A6

jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 11:52am
Here are pics of what I need. Would love the help.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:43pm
Jeff it's more important to show and tell us what distributor you have than showing us parts the the PO might have gotten wrong. Get us a picture of the tag on it's front. Does it look like mine? It is a Mallory YL. I also would advise you not to buy on Amazon,I don't know how the return policy would be. Summit Racing is where I get my ignition parts,they are fast shippers,have the items in stock for a decent price and take returns with no problems.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 3:14pm
Just ordered this from Amazon. Before I read that last post! But is was the only place I could find a kit. Plus we have a Prime account and they are very good with returns. Here is what I just purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00027GM0I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Mallory Distributor says type Y on the front plate. I hope this kit is what I need.
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 3:21pm
Will post pics of our pink boat shortly...lol..previous PO painted it pink after he lost his wife and daughter to breast cancer. At first I was like, a pink boat? But then it did hit home, as I lost my Mom to breast cancer as well. So I am leaving it pink and making it a tribute to my Mom with some pink breast cancer ribbons, a loving memory of my mom decal on each side of the boat, and the name LIVE FOR TODAY on the back. It has attracted so much positive attention already and I dont even have the vinyl decals on yet. Would lke to make it a vintage 1965 Breast Cancer Awareness boat and maybe take to some shows. Needs a better pink paint job though. Wonder if a local shop would sponsor it and paint it for free and allow them to paint their name/logo on each side of the front of the boat.
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 3:37pm
I believe this is the correct fuel pump that I should be looking for? Please advise. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-FORD-302-351W-MARINE-FUEL-PUMP-289-CARTER-/200941195668

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 7:29pm
That is a very nice pump,one I have by the way for a spare. The problem is that the sight tube connection that tells you that the pump has an internal leak faces to the rear of the engine and hits the oil pressure extension.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 7:32pm
Been learning more, my Interceptor motor has the following number - GT21R525971, which if the info I have been finding is correct, means that I have a 260, not a 289. Does that mean I need a different fuel pump? The PO said it was a 289 bored out to 302. What the heck do I have and how do I find out?!?!?! UGH!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 7:33pm
Cannot tell by the picture if the cap is good or not,many now days have aluminium terminals the good ones have brass. Does your distributor tag just have a Y on it or is it YL? Your boat I believe has been on here before,but I can't find it as of now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 8:23pm
Same fuel pump for 260, 289 and 302. Intake and heads swap with all three too. Check the casting numbers. C6 is '66, C5 is '65 etc. Mine had a 65 block and 64 heads originally. You can get the cap at NAPA, tell them you want to see the marine catalog behind the counter. The box mine came in has MA1 on it.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic