Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wrong Way

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SandyBottom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandyBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wrong Way
    Posted: July-04-2013 at 10:35am
Hi Guys, Yesterday I installed a new steering cable and assy in my sons 1982 19' Correct Craft. Installation could not have gone smoother. I was so excited when I was complete. We dropped her in the water and low and behold it steers the wrong way. You turn the wheel to the left - she goes to the right and visa versa. Needless to say I was so bummed. I'm guessing that I just have something flip flopped....but what? Please help so we can enjoy it for the holiday weekend.    
Sandy Bottom
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 11:18am
Double check your connection at the rudder itself. If you disconnected the arm did you reinstall it 180' out? Thats the first place I would look.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 11:22am
My guess is that you put the cable on wrong at the helm. You might have put it on the bottom cable mount on the helm rather than the top one, see below pic,if so I'd be willing to guess your missing the tube shown in the picture too.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 1:06pm
^^^X2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandyBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 2:31pm
I'm not sure what you mean by 180' out? I'm convinced that this is my problem but I see no other way to connect it????
Sandy Bottom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandyBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 2:33pm
Gary you can only feed the cable into the bottom mount. I double checked it and yes I do have the tube. Thanks any other advice?
Sandy Bottom
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 2:58pm
Granted mine is an older boat,but the cable is in the top.If I'm following Morfoot I think he's saying that the tiller arm is pointing to the port side? I don't see how you could connect it up with the cable running down the starboard stringer,but I'm not sure if that is what he meant.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandyBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 3:11pm
I thought that that is what he was saying as well. But with the Support tube mounted it is literally impossible to move the rudder arm to the port side. I'm so frustrated but determined at the same time. It's the 4th of July and all of my adult friends are at the island and I can see them from the dock with my hands all greasy!   
Sandy Bottom
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 4:09pm
I had the same problem with my 87. I had to get an adapter that converted the threaded side of the steering box to accept the clip, and I believe a similar one that converted the clip side to a thread for the little tube that the cable end feeds into at full turn. It is very intersting driving with the steering backwards.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 4:26pm
Just like backing a trailer, put you hand on the bottom of the wheel!

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If I'm following Morfoot I think he's saying that the tiller arm is pointing to the port side? I don't see how you could connect it up with the cable running down the starboard stringer,but I'm not sure if that is what he meant.

Yes that is what he meant. I know some things are "idiot proof" meaning it can go on only one way but not sure if the rudder is. Yes with the cable running down the starboard stringer I wondered if it's even possible to connect the the rudder arm if it's pointing to the port stringer?

It's a pretty simple and basic mechanical transfer of input to out put so three things could be wrong.

1. The tiller arm is 180' out.

2. The cable is installed wrong at the wheel.

3. The rudder itself is 180' out. Meaning the trailing edge of the rudder is pointing forward instead of aft.

Not much to it other then that. Let us know what you find out.

Here's a link to a thread of what it should look like...

Rudder Install
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 5:15pm
If all you did was switch the cable you need something like this to route it the other way through the helm.

Helm converter
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 5:45pm
Replaced mine a few years back with no problem.
Just thinking. Is it not possible to take the tiller arm off the top of the rudder? Rotate the rudder and drop that tiller arm back on and hook it up. Not sure if your tiller arm is the same as on my 93.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 6:49pm
Should not matter it the rudder is 180 off still rotates the same way,just the pivot is off making it hard to steer the faster you go. My new cable came with the converter bushing,there would be no way to connect it up if you have the new style cable and the old thread on helm
Tim I think you need a vacation-- see you in a few
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2013 at 8:44pm

My guess is that you put the cable on wrong at the helm. You might have put it on the bottom cable mount on the helm rather than the top one, see below pic,if so I'd be willing to guess your missing the tube shown in the picture too.

Gary is spot on... This is the only way to reverse the steering unless you are REALLY trying to do it on purpose- and even then, you'd need to be trying pretty hard. Check the helm.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 9:53am
Tim and Gary are on it. You would really have to work at it to install it backwards any other way. If you did not move the tiller arm then you have the cable installed in the wrong port on the helm. Very simple fix.

However, you may have the adapter that allows a threadless steering cable. You will need to take off the tube and adapter and reinstall both on the opposite ports and then reinstall the cable.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 11:04am
[QUOTE=HatterBee] Tim and Gary are on it. QUOTE]

Hey what about me?? I did the X2 thing to the wrong port
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 1:02pm

Tim I think you need a vacation-- see you in a few

Overdue Gary and itching to drive the Mustang with the original controls!   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 1:05pm
It's a deal Tim,got a new rudder on too,I myself can't wait
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 1:49pm
I'm about 5 minutes outside of Brooklyn. If your still having trouble with yours, leave a number where I can get in touch with you. Your welcome to come over and take a look at how mine is installed. I replaced all the steering gear some years back and didn't have a problem but I have seen it happen.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

[QUOTE=HatterBee] Tim and Gary are on it. QUOTE]

Hey what about me?? I did the X2 thing to the wrong port

Sorry Paul, I didn't exclude you on purpose. I must have missed or overlooked your post. I'll try not to do it again.   
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic