Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'83 Ski Supreme project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '83 Ski Supreme project
    Posted: June-23-2013 at 1:48pm
Hope this is the right place to put this, first time on here. So I just bought said boat in title to mess around a bit on the river and have a little tinkering fun. Boat is solid and doesn't need too much work, but I had some questions I thought someone on here might could help with. My first concern before I put it in the water is the exhaust. The outlets on the transom, do they need to have the flap sealers or does the exhaust have some sort of check valve / one way baffle in the exhaust. I just don't know and have been able to find any info. I'm sure as I go I will have more questions and concerns. Thanks for any help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2013 at 2:00pm
Bryce,
Welcome to CCfan even though you have one of those "off brand" boats!!

No, you do not need the exhaust flappers. They weren't even used until the 70's and that's when log style manifolds were still around. The idea is they keep a large amount of water entering the exhaust when for some reason you make a VERY high speed reverse. With modern "riser" type exhaust elbows, they do a great job of keeping the water from the engine. What engine is in the Supreme?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2013 at 2:07pm
haha yeah i figured id get some sort of heckeling like that. thanks for the info on the exhaust. all i know thus far about the motor (and you probably do too) is that it is a 351 windsor. just got the boat on Friday evening and cleaned and washed it all up. hope to get to the motoring part this week.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 12:03am
Lets see some pics of it Bryce. I've never heard of anyone having water back up into their exhaust, but I still use the flappers on mine just in case.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 12:14am
Bryce, Do you know if the 351 runs "bacerds"?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 12:27am
Steve my Dad had a late 70's I think, Ski Supreme and it's motor was LH
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 3:25pm
no i dont know which way it turns yet. hopefully gonna get some time this week to start going through all the "backyard" wiring that was done. gotta get the seats recovered and hope to be in the water within 2 weeks.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 4:56pm
Bryce, I know how you feel. I can't wait to get my 1972 Mustang back on the water but there is a hole in the front so water just pours through. But it will be fixed by Thursday hopefully.
1972 Mustang
drlandis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:20pm
Bryce, I just finished parting out a '84 supreme that had a LH rotation. If you need any parts give me a holler. Good luck on your maiden voyage.
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:32pm
will do thanks a lot.
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 6:02pm
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 11:53pm
Looks pretty good for an old boat! Welcome to the site!
83Ski
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 11:44am
thanks, the boat itself is in really good condition, just needs a good buff and wax. soooooo, looks like my plans to use the boat this summer are shot. pulled the starter off last night and the flywheel is packed full of *&^%. so on to find a new motor.how do i tell if it is LH or RH rotation? got a guy that has a 351W in a torino that runs that hell sell. now i just hope the tranny is in decent shape, otherwise this thing be finding a new home.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:09pm
Ugh look slike salt water exposure

That automotive air cleaner is suspect, me thinks a hack has been at it.

Check the carb and distributer soon

Supremes of that vintage were all std LH rotation.

That trim tab turned wake plate is not std issue either, but i am curious how it works out.

Did someone cut the gunnels to make side storage, or that something fooling the image?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:14pm
hey thanks for the info. no the gunnels are not cut, but looking back i can kinda see how it looks that way.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 5:57pm
A ski supreme! Beautiful boats when in good shape!

Hey 74Wind, did you ever hear about the guy who put his Ski Supreme into the Water Front??

Careful even with the new riser manifolds and not having flaps. I ruined the GT40P heads on my comp by having too much fun!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 8:25pm
Sinker..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 8:53pm
Too bad about the motor. I had an 87 for 15 yrs. It was a good boat. As stated by Gottaski it will be LH rotation.
On mine the fibreglass gunnels went right to the floor. I know someone that had an 85 and it was the same.
Good luck with the project.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Careful even with the new riser manifolds and not having flaps. I ruined the GT40P heads on my comp by having too much fun!

What's the story there Joe? Did you go too fast in reverse?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 3:25am
Nope. Power slides. Lots of em. So my HO inst so much HO anymore. The gt40p heads were too expensive at local marina. (while ago). My uncle is getting me some though. His buddies who own the junk yards let him know every time a pair gt40p's come rolling in, he takes em and turns right around and sells them.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by drlandis drlandis wrote:

Bryce, I just finished parting out a '84 supreme that had a LH rotation. If you need any parts give me a holler. Good luck on your maiden voyage.

You wouldn't happen to have a carb would you?

I may be bothering you here and there for some random things.

Had a guy help me last night and got the motor freed up. so hopefuly i wont need a whole new motor.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by brycemac brycemac wrote:

[QUOTE=drlandis] You wouldn't happen to have a carb would you?

Are you looking for a Holley 4160 600 CFM? What is wrong with your carb, can it be rebuilt?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
brycemac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brycemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 3:18pm
im assuming thats what comes on them stock, but mine has an eddlebrock and i dont really care which one it has. mines in pretty bad shape, and could be rebuilt but i figure it easier to buy something in a little better shape. apparently the guy i got the boat from dumped highly concentrated salt water all over everything before he let it sit up. he must have been a real Ace.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic