Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 PCM help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SuperSkier351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 PCM help
    Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:22pm
Hi, I have a 1986 Nautique with the 351 in it. It has been running really bad. When I start it, it misfires like crazy and when I give it throttle the rpms dont want to go up at all. I just rebuilt carb and replaced all the ignition parts. Still running bad. I don't know what else to try, so any advice is appreciated!
1986 Ski Nautique 351 PCM
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:40pm
Did it do this before you started working on it?

Did you test compression?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:41pm
start with the basics.
Suck
squeeze
bang
blow
Compression test to keep you from throwing money and time into a blowed up motor.
Then spark, cause its easy.
Then fuel.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:50pm
Yes, it did it before I started working on it. Thats why I started replacing all the ignition, because I thought it just wasn't getting spark or something. And I think the compression is good, because after I rebuilt the carb, it ran fine for about four skiers, then started running like crap again, so im thinking its some sort of electrical problem
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:04am
There are some really savy Ford guys on here that will steer you down the right path.
All I can tell you is do the basic lifting first. Double check timing, dwell, and firing order. Make sure the coil is behaving, look for vacuum leaks and make sure the carb is fueling down all four holes but not flooding.
After that, You will need more help than I can offer.
Someone will be along soon..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:36am
Ok I will check those things out baitkiller. What electronic ignition conversion kit would you recommend, because my dad is thinking that it could be the condenser or points cause it ran ok after we replaced them, and then started running bad AGAIN. So i think im going to try electronic ignition and get rid of those things
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:52am
Nothing wrong with a breaker points ignition if its set up correctly.
Ill defer to the Ford guys for a conversion option. You could try a search, sometimes it works. There have been many discussions about that option.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by SuperSkier351 SuperSkier351 wrote:

Ok I will check those things out baitkiller. What electronic ignition conversion kit would you recommend, because my dad is thinking that it could be the condenser or points cause it ran ok after we replaced them, and then started running bad AGAIN. So i think im going to try electronic ignition and get rid of those things

If it ran OK after you replaced everything for a period of time, you had the wiring, timing and everything else set up right. My guess is your dad is correct, the condenser could have went bad. New points are just a mechanical make/break. They're fine. Get a new condenser, reset the timing and try it again.
I just had a brand new condenser in JBears boat that was bad. Can't blame it on the Chinese crap either. Made in the good old U. S. of A. It does happen.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 1:23pm
So what is the timing for these engines, because I have heard a lot of different things on what it should be

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 3:45pm
Any advice on best electronic ignition conversion kit?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I just had a brand new condenser in JBears boat that was bad. Can't blame it on the Chinese crap either. Made in the good old U. S. of A. It does happen.

I have heard this before Eddie that the quality just isn't there anymore,after all there isn't much of a market for them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:54pm
Best EI system is Mallory E Spark.   Stay away from Pertronix, they fail often.    Even better to get a new distributor, because the advance mechanism can be customized.

Really, you should fix the current issue 1st (condenser?) so you don't compound the problem with a new installation that may have it's own issue.

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:56pm
When you rebuilt the carb did you change the water / fuel seperator ?

A freind rebuilt a carb and trashed it in no time from the crap in the line.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperSkier351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 5:11pm
Yes we did, but we still have the original fuel lines, so the ethanol in the gas could be breaking those down. But after it started running bad the first time and we replaced all the ignition parts it ran ok for about 5 minutes. So if it was the carb got screwed up again i dont think the ignition parts would have done any good at all would they?
ibgary2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibgary2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 5:22pm
SS351- An easily forgotten part of the ignition system is the ignition switch. My 89 2001, with the 351 would either run great or just not start. It would always crank the engine nicely, but sometimes it would not fire at all. Once it just shut off while cruising down the middle of the river. I could measure voltage at the coil +, and see pulsations on the negative side, with a light. Current was getting through the corroded "On" position of the ignition switch, just not enough to fire the coil.

I threw lots of parts at my problem; from coils to electronic conversions to a complete distributor. None was a permanent fix, until I put a jumper wire from the 'Hot' side of the starter solenoid (on the back of the engine)to the coil resistor. The engine would now start, and more importantly, stop when the jumper was removed. It is an easy and cheap test to rule out the ignition switch.

Gary A
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 10:39pm
To answer your question about timing, it should be set to 10 degrees btdc @ 600 RPM. I would also suggest checking your condensor. I did a tune up and could not figure out why the boat would run like crap once i hit 1500 RPM. I tried swapping out everything and did the condensor last. Turns out the brand new condensor in the tune up kit was bad.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Thomasv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 2:50am
i just purchased an 89 supra conbrio that holds a 351 windsor pcm - I too am having issues with starting. Cranks over and sounds like its ready to start but doesnt fire.   I'm wanting to order parts for the tune up but am unsure of which ones to get.   

Heres the info off my engine...can someone direct me to more info that can guide me to ordering the correct dist cap and other stuff for it?   
I think im lookin at the right parts from iboat but dont want to start ordering tons of crap i dont need or cant use.   

PLD-PR-R12/PP
9Y45001+10
firing order: 13726548

any and all info for my boat is appreciated.   
http://www.iboats.com/Pleasurecraft-Distributor-Caps/dm/cart_id.567048335--session_id.555590201--view_id.269085

how do i find the correct model number...they have...
PLEASURECRAFT RA108002
PLEASURECRAFT R108001

Replaces GLM #:71570
Replaces Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM):Merc / OMC / Volvo / PCM / Crusader
Replaces GLM #:71590
Replaces Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM):Merc / OMC / Plesaurecraft / Crusader

i know my application is 8 cyl screw down.   but....ya...not sure which one to get =[
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 9:06am
Call Vince at Ski Dim. He is very knowledgeable.

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic