Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2001 Air Nautique -Dash Pod Switches don't work
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Air Nautique -Dash Pod Switches don't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bsnively View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bsnively Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 Air Nautique -Dash Pod Switches don't work
    Posted: May-23-2013 at 7:09pm
I recently purchased a 2001 Super Air Nautique and acquired an issue I am trying to diagnose.

When the boat is running, radio has power, and other items, ALL the switches on the starboard side dash switch cluster do not work.
The boat, while owned by the previous owner, had a perfect pass GPS version added to it.

This is the switch cluster I am referring to:

I've already checked the flexible breakers under the steering wheel, and they aren't tripped (and it would be very odd for ALL of them to be tripped).

So -- looking for help diagnosing the issue.

My current thought process is this am I doing anything not worth while and/or missing items/etc?

1. Check to see if the breaker panel box has power -- by taking off the kickpanel that it's attached to and testing voltage.
if no power at breakers:
a. find out which relays turn on and trace to why things aren't turning on.
if power at breakers:
a. take the dash apart (I assume that to do this, I just unscrew the large screws that surround the large dash trim piece.
b. check to see if there is a connectivity issue (for example, something wasn't plugged back in when perfect pass was installed0
if connectivity issue -- fix
if no connectivity issues
check power on connection at switch cluster area
if no power -- check connectivity (with power off) between breaker and switch panel
if power -- test the switches themselves -- may be bad?

I'm looking for a sanity check before I take on this adventure. Would hate to go through this large process and it be a common issue/etc...

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 8:01pm
I would check to make sure it is plugged in first, that makes sense? Do you have pictures of your pod? Usually it is just the 4 large screws that let you lift up the whole pod and have a look.

I looked, and Nautiqueparts sells this whole cluster: http://www.nautiqueparts.com/keypadcarbonfiberstarboardside.aspx so I'm guessing it is possible for them to fail. Upwards of a 4 bills though.

On another dash pod related thread, someone had found a guy that will text different components. Wondering if you could use that same person to test this. I'll see if I can find it.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 8:09pm
Ok, in this thread http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27213&title=keyless-ignition it is mentioned that Correct Craft in Orlando can test components.

Also, you want to look up Florida Inboards and give Jody a call. He might be able to help you out as well.
bsnively View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bsnively Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 12:38am
Thanks for the suggestions -- it was really easy to lift the dash -- four screws like you said.

It looked like the switches are plugged in (good idea to check that). I'm actually surprised w/ the fact that there are only a few wires going into the switch.

WIll do some more digging, thanks for all the advice.

Here is a picture of the switch panel

Thanks,
Ben
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:13am
There's only a few wires, because, I don't think the switches are "switching." They're more sending signals to the computer part of the system.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:33am
The switches just send the signal to gateway box, much like a relay activation circuit.

The gateway box is where all the power distribution is done.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bsnively View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bsnively Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 12:18pm
gotcha -- makes sense now -- didn't realize it worked like that.

Is there a good way to test if it's the keypad versus PME box. My port side keypad works (blower on that side, start/stop)...so not sure if that means that the box is likely good.

Wanted to do any tests to isolate between the two, since they are pretty expensive...

Thanks,
Ben
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:04pm
Lewy, is the Gateway box the same thing as that PME box, or are they two separate things?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:06pm
Hey there, went through this exact same thing with our boat. We had it shipped 1000 miles to us when we bought it and it went through a monsoon. We couldn't figure out what was bad...no switches would work but we would get some lights to light up here and there. We didn't know if it was switch panels OR the PME box.

We sent our keypad (port side pad) to Larry Shay in Florida for him to test. He tested it and it worked perfectly. He said if it wasn't the pad, it's the PME. We ordered a new PME, plugged in and the boat hasn't hiccuped since.

Hope this helps. email me at mdvalant@gmail if you have any more questions.

-Mike
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:37pm
Do you have all of the features/accessories that are controlled by the keypad? You may have only a few wires because you may only have nav lights, anchor lights, courtesy lights, and bilge pump.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:03pm
Brian PME/Gateway box same thing. There was someone Jody knew selling pullout gateway boxs in the For Sale section for $200.00. Cannot recall what year they fitted though.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bsnively View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsnively Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 11:06pm
Thanks for a heads up -- it appears that they are for a newer model (but will do som research if they are backward compatible -- probably not.

I went ahead and orderred a new switch cluster from nautiqueparts. Contacted CC, and sounded like they didn't have great ways to test it...

Hopefully it's the problem -- otherwise will just order the new unit as well :D

Learned a lot on how that worked last few days, thanks for all the help,
Ben
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 7:34pm
Let us know if the switch cluster winds up fixing it. Sounds like you're most likely on the right path.
bsnively View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsnively Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 7:50pm
It ended up being the switch cluster. Very excited it wasn't the computer or another more expensive item. Not that the keypad was cheap, but could have been worst.

Thanks for the help diagnosing the problem

~Ben
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 9:33pm
Allhookedup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 3:22am
2001 ski nautique... rt dash pod all lit up but nothing on left pod..can't pusn in code etc... unplugged rt side and now left side powers up and boat starts??? But when I plug in both sides the left pod is out but rt pod every button has green lights on..Any sugesstions
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:02am
Hey Mark...Sounds like fun

Initially I would said you have a bad start key pad. (left side with the start button) However, if it works with the other side unplugged I'm kind of at a loss there. I never tried that on my issue. We ended up having to buy a new start keypad as well. So, we have a new PME and a new start pad in our boat. If those pads get really wet they go bad, in my experience anyway.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 12:55pm
Mark, that one's a toughie. I'll throw in one idea:

As Pete would say, "Time to break out the VOM!"

What I mean by that, is whatever wire is feeding the main unit, PME/Gateway what have you, see how much voltage you are getting there.

My hypothesis is that if the main unit is not getting enough voltage at the source, it may not have enough juice to power both the left and right pods at the same time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 4:39pm
Thank you for the quick response!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Hey Mark...Sounds like fun

Initially I would said you have a bad start key pad. (left side with the start button) However, if it works with the other side unplugged I'm kind of at a loss there. I never tried that on my issue. We ended up having to buy a new start keypad as well. So, we have a new PME and a new start pad in our boat. If those pads get really wet they go bad, in my experience anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 4:42pm
Thanks for your quick response!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 7:03pm
Aloha!! thanks again...another question can you install a key ignition(old school) somewhere under the dash?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 7:06pm
Aloha!! Thanks, another ? ..Can you install a Key type ignition somewhere under the dash..Thanks
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 7:07pm
I have seen a couple people that have tried/done it...I think.

Someone else might be able to post that thread or a quick how-to on that as I'm not familiar with it enough.

I asked that question too but I think I got yelled at for trying to make something factory not factory. Probably by Pete but I could be mistaken...anyways...hopefully someone will chime in.   

EDIT: That was a joke about Pete, to be clear.   

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 7:45pm

Thanks!! The way boats and cars are engineered today it's hard or impossible to be old school! Aloha!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Allhookedup Allhookedup wrote:

Aloha!! Thanks, another ? ..Can you install a Key type ignition somewhere under the dash..Thanks

Allegedly it's been done, although the details have never been posted.

But, it stands to reason you could run a key switch in parallel. You just have to get a red, constant hot feed from the engine.

A.) You could either run a dedicated constant positive line from the engine breaker, in tandem with the one already there, or piggyback off of the one that's already there. Either way, connect that constant hot to the "BATT" terminal on your key switch.

B.) From there, you need to run a new line from the "S" terminal on the key switch to the Neutral Safety Switch, which supplies the starter.

C.) Run a dedicated ignition line from the "I" terminal on the key to wherever the Ignition wire goes on a GT-40... that one I'm not totally sure of but just trace where the existing purple line goes.

If you have a major explosion, we never had this conversation    I think you'll be alright though.

Use this electrical diagram for a basic reference, ignore the part about the carb choke distributor etc. It's from a carved boat:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 10:57pm
Thanks for your time and the 411!! Aloha!!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:28pm
Doesn't Aloha mean hello?

EDIT: TIL (today I learned) it means both hello and good bye

a·lo·ha
əˈlōˌhä/Submit
exclamation & noun
Hawaiian word used when greeting or parting from someone.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allhookedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2015 at 11:55pm
Mahalo means thank you...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 12:25am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I think I got yelled at for trying to make something factory not factory. Probably by Pete
EDIT: That was a joke about Pete, to be clear.   

Mike,
I took it as a joke so don't worry about it.

However, at least the idea is to put the key switch under the dash not upsetting the original looks!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic