Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad coil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Plugs are autolight #24, buy them anywhere. I was able to make 80's vintage Ford F150 351 plug wires work. I bought NAPA gold version.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks very much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:43am
Are the plug boots supposed to be straight or angled at the plug attachment end?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:48am
Is this the correct fuel filter for a 1984 SN2001?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRACCS1136

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 12:47pm
You'll get more responses if you learn how to link. I that's the FRAM canister element you are correct, I think skidim only carries the one. Other brands make the same element that will fit, try searching its been posted here before. Most seem to entirely change it out for the spin on unit like an oil filter, not sure why though.

My plug wires are 90s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Plugs are autolight #24, buy them anywhere. I was able to make 80's vintage Ford F150 351 plug wires work. I bought NAPA gold version.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks very much.

SNobsessed or anyone, can you provide any more specific info on mid 80's Ford for plug wires? When I go to the NAPA they are pretty clueless and I am no help bc I don't really know what I need. Thanks for the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2013 at 1:05am
Also, Advance Auto web site says Autolite #24 is for lawn and garden equipment.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2013 at 8:33am
It's been 4 years, so a bit foggy.

I think I told them 1985 F150 351 engine. Take the longest plug wire from your engine with you, to make sure the new one's have 1 wire at least that long. The set I bought was longer than I needed & I had to cut a few back - they have the terminals there also.

Edit- try 1980 year, they look longer wires
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grey Hair Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Hair Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2013 at 11:01am
Hi guys, I'll jump in here. I also have an 1984 SN with the same EI and the exact same issue. (by the way Autolite 24 is correct). Cleaned and rebuilt the primary side of the carb and replaced the coil, no difference. I read on here that there MAY be an issue with an oil filled coil on it's side having issues (air bubble, arcing, getting hot) and that a ceramic filled coil is the way to go.   However lots of people use oil filled with no problems, but I dropped a ceramic coil in yesterday and I will let you know if anything changes.

I have a question as well. I ordered a set of PCM wires at the Nautique dealer. While waiting around I talked to a mechanic there about wires and he old me the wires on the new boats carry a lot of resistance. I happen to have my old 7mm PCM wire with me and it measured 0.6 ohms of resistance. Then we tested the new wire and it had 388 ohms of resistance. I didn't want the new wires, Dealer called PCM, they just said it was the right part number and didn't know anything about the original wires and the resistance. Anyone know about that issue?
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2013 at 11:36am
Here is an interesting article from Magnecor about spark plug wires.
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2013 at 11:56pm
Gun-driver, is the Standard AL483 the correct dizzy cap for the Prestolight cap for my 1984 SN2001? From the pictures it looks like it does not have the screw down flanges that mine has. Maybe the pic was a stock photo or something. Thanks for the help

Rockauto site

I think I have determined that my dizzy definitely has the screw down Prestolite version and has been updated with Pertronics Electronic Ignition. So if anyone can help me with the part no for this I would appreciate it. I realize I can order this from one of the boat parts suppliers, but was hoping to source it local for future simplicity.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic