NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Secondary Diaphragm check ball

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secondary Diaphragm check ball
    Posted: April-18-2013 at 3:36pm
One more Holley question today for the experts.

I took apart the 750cfm Holley 4160 that we have on our BFN last weekend and attempted to address the on/off nature of the secondaries. When I rebuilt the carb, I installed the lightest spring in there to make sure we could pull them open all the way. Turns out that wasnt a concern, as they ended up acting like a light switch and we couldnt hold speeds between 45 and 50mph.

I went 2 steps heavier on the spring as a starting point, and put on a quick spring change kit to assist in further changes, if necessary. Should be a good starting point.

What I noticed upon reassembly is that we do not have a ball in the actuation circuit. Here is where one would go (picture stolen from the web):

I do not know if there was ever one in there. Its possible I lost it when I had the carb apart last time, but who knows. I searched the web and called Holley- they said there are 2 standard configurations:

1. Brass insert (reducer) installed in this passage, no ball.

2. No brass insert installed, ball should be present.

He said that since ours does not have the brass reducer, it should have a ball in there. The purpose of the ball (or brass reducer in the other configuration) is to slow down the actuation of the secondaries... which is the symptom Im battling.

So, I took apart 6 more spare carbs that I had to see if I could confirm the presence of that ball. 5 had the brass reducer installed, and the other had no brass insert and no ball. Ive had that carb apart before, so its possible I lost that one when rebuilding too, I suppose...

Since I had no ball to steal, the 750cfm went back together without it. Still, I could swap over a housing with the brass reducer if that would help with the issue, or track down a ball to install in this one. Can anyone positively confirm that the ball should be present in a marine carb? The Holley Tech was speaking off the top of his head and not from a parts book, so I'd like to be sure he was right.

Anyone know if the ball vs. brass insert performs differently?
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 4:15pm
Tim if it helps I am taking my Holley apart Saturday. I plan to document the disassembly with lots of pics if that will help you. FYI that pic cannot be viewed.
Thanks.......Tom
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 4:29pm
I had a ball in the last 4010 I took apart.     4010, not a 4160.

But it was a marine carb.   I remember chasing the ball down, twice, on hardwood flooring.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 4:36pm
The pic is still working on this end, but here it is again:

Ive only toyed with a 4010 a little bit, cant recall whats the same and whats different. I know the 4160 uses a smaller ball somewhere else (accel pump maybe?) so there are more than one in a carb.

Tom, that sounds good... problem is that most standard carb rebuild kits dont come with secondary diaphragms- so you may not want to disassemble that part if you dont have new replacements. Dollars to donuts says you have a brass insert in there anyways, at least thats what Id guess based on the cores I have on hand!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 4:40pm
Tim I don't have anything constructive regarding the difference between the two designs.

however, the HO 454s had these carbs from the factory, the 9022 List. Mech secondaries and manual chokes wired open.

http://www.holley.com/0-9022.asp

I'm damn curious how your boat will run with one!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 4:45pm
Tom, if youre not sure if I should have the check ball or not, Im not sure anyone will!

The carb on the boat now is a 750cfm 4160 with the metering block conversion on the rear, and the choke horn milled off... so we're not too far from that 800cfm 4150... I'd be interested in seeing how the mechanical secondaries run though!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:07pm
Forgot you did those mods! Yes, should be close!

In the three boats I dove that had those, an 83, 84 and 85, they worked quite well.

Sounds like you're close to a solution
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:20pm
I figure we'll try a few different springs and if the secondaries are still coming in too fast, I'll try a housing with the brass insert. Unless someone tells me thats a bad idea. All of the other carbs I took apart were 600cfm 4160's, not sure if that makes a difference.

Would be nice to hold speeds in the upper 40's... which really turns into low 40's when pulling footers.

If I stumble across a deal on a 750-800cfm mech secondary carb, I may grab it!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:24pm
Tim,

I know that my 650CFM 4160 has a ball. I've never tried running it without it to see what happens and I also have the lightest spring Holley makes in there with the quick change spring housing.

Everything I've read says that if you don't have the ball or the reducer, the secondaries will just flop open and you'll experience the symptoms that you have now just as the tech told you.

I gotta believe that a ball should be in there and will solve your problem.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:36pm
Who else is not surprised Timmy lost his balls??

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:50pm
Eddie, great datapoint- thanks! I'll pull a secondary housing with the brass insert off a spare carb tonight.

CQ, at least I had them at one point... better than you can say!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2013 at 1:16am
These are three images of one page.

It appears the check ball adds a logic component to the circuit, but I'm having a hard time getting my head completely around it. Seems to have something to do with holding and releasing vacuum on the diaphragm.

Low Speed Light Load

Hich Speed Heavy Load

Explanation
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 4:30pm
I swapped out my housing (which was missing the check ball) for another I had on hand that had the brass insert pressed in. Combined with a slightly heavier (3rd lightest) spring, secondary actuation is now 100% better. They transition as slow as I want them to, and have no problem holding any speeds that were previously problematic (45-50mph). Still getting full secondary actuation based on the new top end speed as well.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 4:56pm
OK, so nothing really changed, your ball-less!!
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 5:32pm
Tim, check CL, maybe you will get lucky and find a 1150 Dominator for that beast!
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 5:46pm
Tim...just out of curiosity are you still running a metering plate or have you swapped to a metering block(essentially making it a 4150)?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 8:06pm
I put in the metering block with replaceable jets... though I havent messed with the jetting yet. I have it jetted equivalent to the plate for the time being, which should be on the rich (safe) side.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 8:10pm
I was wondering if anyone who had modified their engine had tinkered with their secondary jets and if any noticeable gains had been made.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 8:34pm
I do believe there is some room to improve performance slightly by leaning them out a bit... Holleys tend to be jetted pretty fat from the factory. Rich = safe. Alan probably did the most work with dialing in the jetting on his '81. Rather than rely on the classic plug chop method, he actually ran an O2 sensor and was making adjustments based on his A/F ratio. I believe he ended up a few jet sizes smaller than stock on his highly modified 351w that spun 5500 or higher depending on which prop he had on.

On our BFN, we have a high enough compression ratio (10:1) and an aggressive enough cam that I'd rather err on the safe side for now... if someone edges us out at some point, maybe we'll revisit that, ha.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 8:56pm
I figured someone had tested this but had not seen it mentioned recently. Thanks for the info Tim.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic