Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banana George's Barefoot Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
agouge888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agouge888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banana George's Barefoot Nautique
    Posted: March-03-2013 at 3:12pm
Sifting through some older ads and found this ad for Banana George's Blairs old '83 Barefoot Nautique which was just a few hours away from me here in TN. Made contact with the owner and he said he had owned it for 25+ years and footed behind it forever. He said it was just sold to the new owner that was going to restore it. Just hoping whoever bought it might be a member on here and keep us posted on the progress. Pretty cool piece of history that will hopefully live to float another day.

heres the ad..

Blair's Barefootin Banana Boat (George Blair's First Boat) With boom and depth finder Canvas Cover and Bimini Top included 454 Engine - Needs engine work Excellent boat for barefoot waterskiing and wakeboarding Comes with trailer $2,200 OBO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 5:14pm
The current owner is not on CCF but from what I hear has good intentions with a restoration. Hope to see it myself eventually. BBBBII is on good hands and belongs to forum member Got Tiques.
Spoffie1962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:04am
Hollywood, I am on CCF, I just tend to stay somewhat low key. The boat itself is sound, although it has been on a steady decline since the PO bought it off of George in '86 as a teenager. The PO barefooted with George in the 80's, so when BBBB2 arived in '86, he was first in line to buy BBBB1. As you can see though, not much love lavished on it since then. It was used up until last September, when the BBC gave up the ghost in the middle of a barefooting run. I hope to have it on the water this summer, even if it's not 100% restored. Just to be able to dock it next to Todd's BBBB2 someday would be a thrill! Anyone out there with pictures of BBBB1 back in the day? I'd love to see what she used to look like.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:20am
Lurker no more.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Lurker no more.

Let the fun begin. Looking forward to seeing that boat back on the water.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:18am
Doesn't look like the pylon is gold plated like the BBBB2. Spoffie, any interior shots you can post up?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
agouge888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agouge888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:33am
Thanks so much for the update. Great to see it has found a great home. I remember seeing pics of Geoege on this exact boat back in the day. Anybody got some old pics of him footing on this boat?

Andy
agouge888
Originally posted by Spoffie1962 Spoffie1962 wrote:

Hollywood, I am on CCF, I just tend to stay somewhat low key. The boat itself is sound, although it has been on a steady decline since the PO bought it off of George in '86 as a teenager. The PO barefooted with George in the 80's, so when BBBB2 arived in '86, he was first in line to buy BBBB1. As you can see though, not much love lavished on it since then. It was used up until last September, when the BBC gave up the ghost in the middle of a barefooting run. I hope to have it on the water this summer, even if it's not 100% restored. Just to be able to dock it next to Todd's BBBB2 someday would be a thrill! Anyone out there with pictures of BBBB1 back in the day? I'd love to see what she used to look like.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:01am
Don't worry hes a motor head! It's in good hands.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 8:06pm
Nice!! Keep us posted with photos !!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:51pm
Where there any other BBBB built other then the 83' #1 & 86' #2?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:07pm
Trying to upload pictures, but like most things in the computer world it's fighting me every step of the way. Too large it says. I would call India but I have already confirmed that my modem is plugged in. Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me through it.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Where there any other BBBB built other then the 83' #1 & 86' #2?

Andy posted these a few months ago. He said it was Sanger. I also know he had a yellow ski pro or two. I looked for pics but couldn't find any. It had double booms that retracted into the hull just in front of and below the windshield.

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:26pm
By the way Quinner, I know there are a couple of later model Sangers and possibly a Malibu out there, but they have nowhere near the level of customization that the BFN's have. They're molded in yellow, but it appears that's about it. BBBB1, and especially BBBB2, have the highest level of custom touches of all the boats as far as I can see. I know he used to pull the Sanger with a mid-late 90's MK IIV Lincoln, painted screaming yellow of course. That is one man who has never been accused of flying under the radar.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:28pm
Tom, glad you got on here to share your story. You won't be allowed to lurk any more. If you have a relatively new version of windows, open up your pics with "Paint". Paint will allow you to reduce the size of your pics. Reduce them to about 600 pixels wide or less and they will fit fine, and should get them below the 500 kb size limit too. Another choice is to upload your pics to photobucket and then share them to this site.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:24am
Tom,
Just sent you a PM before I saw that you posted in the open forum. You are more than welcome, and will find lots of help here, even if you don't ask for it. Ha!!

Guys, Tom is in need of help and parts and info including a period correct trailer for the '83 BBB1, and another member is in line for the current Prestige. Keep your eyes (banana) peeled. Hollywood, that trailer was the subject of a confusing trailer search/request I made a few months ago. Maybe clearer now, maybe not.

Tom is getting some expert help in his restore, but we will share our opinions, asked or not. Glad you're out!!.

Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:42am
I find restoring this boat much easier than uploading pictures. Maybe I need to hit the laptop with a bigger hammer. Anyway, the boat is currently in the care of someone whose last name is Meloon. He spent 30+ years at CC, personally designed the 2001 series hull along with his cousin, owned his own marina, worked for Chevrolet Engineering for a time, and actually remembers working on this boat on the assembly line. Yesterday he forgot more about boats than I'll ever know. Engine comes out next week, we'll assess the damage and go from there. The engine is painted yellow to match the hull, and I'm assuming that's original. Is BBBB2's engine yellow? There is so little info on the web about this boat, and even George's grandsons (they run his FB page) don't have anything. We have contacted CC about any records/pictures, but I'll have to wait till they get 'a round tuit'. I'll keep you all posted, but if anyone has any photos of this boat, you know what to do. Just hope you're better at posting pics than I am!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:50am
Todd, all advise is welcomed and appreciated! As we were once told, it takes a village.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:57am
Tom. My BBBII block, heads, oil pan, intake mani's and front parts are all silver, but the valve covers are yellow. Trany is black, along with the exhaust mani's, and motor mounts. Engine now sports a new DUI distributor and yellow plug wires. Orig distributor had no advance, but still pulled 8 footers (SLOW!!) in the 2012 CT Mini photo on double booms. I know it is better now.   The paint job actually added 3 MPH!!

Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:17am
Todd, my entire engine is yellow, including the pulleys. Manifolds are typical black and trans is PCM silver. The color combo is not very attractive in my opinion, but I struggle with keeping it original vs doing what I like. We'll see. I know the engine recently got a new water pump, new raw water pump, electronic ignition distrubutor, engine wiring harness, complete 72C trans rebuild and a brand new 14x14 prop. Oh yeah, the two original barefoot booms are yellow!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Got Tiques Got Tiques wrote:

Orig distributor had no advance

Todd,
Are you sure the original didn't have an advance? Keep it mind that marine distributors use mechanical advance which is inside of the distributor. They don't use a vacuum advance which is external of the distributor like an automotive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:15am

Pete,

Sorry I mislead you. No working advance!! It was a stock Prestolite on its last legs, with a missing spring and other spring seemed weak. Now in my spare parts bin, if I can find springs for the mech adv weights. PO used an advanced timing setting to get some top end, but then it cranked hard at startup with same setting.

I upgraded after not finding springs, discussing with TRB, and to keep the yellow motif.

Tom, My double booms are gold anodized color. Putting those two boats side-by-side with a bunch of footers would be fun!!

Todd
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Orig distributor had no advance

Todd,
Are you sure the original didn't have an advance? Keep it mind that marine distributors use mechanical advance which is inside of the distributor. They don't use a vacuum advance which is external of the distributor like an automotive.

Like UT said, that old dizzy was in sorry shape. We tried band-aiding it back together, but it was just plain worn out. From what I hear, the new DUI has it performing MUCH better.
Originally posted by Spoffie1962 Spoffie1962 wrote:

I struggle with keeping it original vs doing what I like.

I cant say that I find the whole yellow and brown scheme overly attractive either... but I think the uniqueness and heritage of these 2 boats would make it a shame to do anything but an original restoration on them.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:29am

Putting those two boats side-by-side with a bunch of footers would be fun!!

Todd

Let's see Todd, you are in New York, Tom is in Georgia. Yup, I think Reid's place is just about exactly 1/2 the distance between and would be a perfect spot to get the two boats back together again. Have to get a picture and send it to BG. I am sure he'd be tickled.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:42am
Tom where abouts are you in GA. Glad you came out of hiding. Having two of BG's boats running side by side would definately be cool. +1 on your idea Larry, now we just gotta convince Tom and Todd into it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:42am

Tim, I'm in for whatever you are planning. Reid would be a fantastic host, and I owe both of you a ride in another nostalgic one of a kind. Tom (BBBBI) is planning on a 2013 debut, and I just need to plan around the CT Mini!!

Thanks, Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoffie1962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:57am
I'm temporarily in the Dawsonville area west of Lake Lanier, but if it's up and running by early summer, it will be brought to south east NH for a few months. That's about 2 1/2 hrs from you Todd, so the chances of getting these boats together this summer are pretty good!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:34am
thread needs more pics!

This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:41am
That's the pic I saw in one of M3Fans magazines years ago. I've been telling TRBenj about it since then. SeaWorld boat, that's the boat they notched the keel to use 14" props instead of 13", which, as we know "broke the mold". Anyway, maybe not THAT boat but they were the ones pushing the limits and inspired the modification IIRC. Andy, do you have the article? Coincidentally I had plans to visit Joel's home tonight but we had to cancel.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:51am
I stole it off facebook, comments said it was a BFN and it had 425hp...then said "the next photo" showed all those guys step off bacerds...but nobody posted "the next photo".

This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2013 at 2:35pm
Good news, M3Fan has confirmed he's got the magazines down here so we will be able to find it. I really don't recall if there was a second picture.

Anywho, THAT is the kind of footing I'm into, not dangling from a FlyHigh, errr, I mean boom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic