Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - extending shorestation canopy to accommodate tower
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

extending shorestation canopy to accommodate tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jackkloepfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extending shorestation canopy to accommodate tower
    Posted: February-19-2013 at 4:10pm
Greetings CC fans.

I was hoping someone here could offer up their experience on extending (raising) a traditional shorestation canopy to accommodate a tower.

many thanks for your input!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 4:25pm
A couple wrenches and some muscle is all that is required. Having a helper is a huge plus. There is a thru bolt holding each of the 4 canopy legs, remove bolt and raise to next desired hole, insert bolt. Just like raising a jackstand, piece of cake.

With a factory tower on a 206 we raised the canopy just enough where with tower up the hull could be raised completely out of the water (prop still a little wet) and with tower down you could get the boat up tight enough to keep it out of the sun and rain.

Water level can affect this and it may take a couple adjustments to get it just right.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 4:32pm
See in the pic, it's like 5 or 6 holes from the top. The pole at the wheel is shorter, thru bolt up high.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 11:49pm
thanks, quinner. my only problem is that my tower is a pain to raise and lower. I was thinking of extending the canopy high enough to fit the tower under it without lowering the tower.
scottb7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:24am
I had this problem last year with my shoremaster 50120. I got the 2008 super air 210 and thought I would be able to raise/lower tower myself...No freakin way...too heavy. I spent lots - i think few hundred and got extra long canopy legs from shoremaster. Now I can go in and out with no worries, no moving tower. But beware that fixing one problem creates another.

I had to cut a tarp in 4 foot by 20 foot section and hang from sides of canopy to shield rain/sun from boat. It works ok. Does look quite odd though. This year i am replacing regular tarp with mesh tarp that i think will not catch wind so much. should allow better air movement/drying and still shield sun about 70%.

http://www.tarpsplus.com/blue-mesh-tarps.html
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by jackkloepfer jackkloepfer wrote:

thanks, quinner. my only problem is that my tower is a pain to raise and lower. I was thinking of extending the canopy high enough to fit the tower under it without lowering the tower.

Jack,
This was my first thought.
Originally posted by scottb7 scottb7 wrote:

I spent lots - i think few hundred and got extra long canopy legs from shoremaster. But beware that fixing one problem creates another.I had to cut a tarp in 4 foot by 20 foot section and hang from sides of canopy to shield rain/sun from boat.

If the canopy is high enough to clear the tower without lowering it, then you will need sides otherwise it doesn't do much protecting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 2:41pm
Have you tried raising the canopy to the highest point with the stock legs? You did not say what boat/tower you have but a 206 with FCT clears fine and the canopy could still go up higher.

You will want to also be sure your legs/feet are at the correct height for the depth of water you are in, carriage bottomed out should be just deep enough to float on/off.

Tower can be a bit of a pain to fold but it certainly isn't that hard, even with 80lbs of speakers on it I can do it myself NP. Tower will not fold will floating under canopy, u need to do it before pulling in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 6:04pm
I have a 96 Super Sport w/ a monster tower. the front arms can't fold in due to my speaker placement...I have to fold them outward.

it's not impossible, but it is kind of an ordeal.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 7:00pm
You should definitely be able to raise the canopy high enough with standard posts to get under it tower up. Just pull the bolts and push it up as explained in my earlier post. May take a couple adjustments, ideally the tower will come up tight to the underside when the entire carriage/boat is just out of the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 7:09pm
crazy...I was thinking there wouldn't be nearly enough tube in there. I will check it out. thanks guys.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 11:50am
When I bought my big lift for my SAN, I bought leg extensions. I had a canvas company make a tarp that covers both sides, and the front. I use thin rope to hang from the grommets that are evenly spaced to the crossmembers of the canopy. I also have grommets on the bottom and screwed eyehooks into the dock to tie it down. Resists wind very well, no sun or rain to speak of. I would guess I spent around $350-400 total.

Drive in, drive out.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 4:00pm
Quinner and SLayer you're both on the MW chain right?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

When I bought my big lift for my SAN, I bought leg extensions. I had a canvas company make a tarp that covers both sides, and the front. I use thin rope to hang from the grommets that are evenly spaced to the crossmembers of the canopy. I also have grommets on the bottom and screwed eyehooks into the dock to tie it down. Resists wind very well, no sun or rain to speak of. I would guess I spent around $350-400 total.

Drive in, drive out.

Slayer..that is JUST what I need! where does the canvas cover attach? on the underside of the canopy frame? could you provide me their name? I suppose I could have them ship one, if they'd do it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 7:18pm
" I use thin rope to hang from the grommets that are evenly spaced to the crossmembers of the canopy. I also have grommets on the bottom and screwed eyehooks into the dock to tie it down"

yeah, I guess I can't read...you already answered my question!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Quinner and SLayer you're both on the MW chain right?

??? Chris is in Illinois and Mike is in Minnesota!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2013 at 2:31am
ok, gang. I raised the legs to capacity, and it looks like my canopy frame would sit 8'2" from the waters surface. this should be enough room for my tower, right? I'd measure, but I can't lift my tower in my garage. it's an older monster tower.

Thanks for your help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 12:18pm
wakeslayer, do you know how high your canopy frame sits from the water surface? I measured 8'2" from the water surface to the main side tubes of the canopy frame.

it also looks like I could drill an additional hole to get another 6-8" of height if need be.

the real test will be just throwing the boat on there...but I'd like to know well in advance if possible.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by jackkloepfer jackkloepfer wrote:

it also looks like I could drill an additional hole to get another 6-8" of height if need be.

You may want to do some engineering calculations before drilling the holes. Don't forget to factor in wind loading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:12pm
Sorry, was out of town.   I really don't know what the height is. I can go measure my boat on the trailer and give you an idea of what you need to have. I could also measure my lift and roughly where the water lines are on the legs. I will try and do it tomorrow. Shorestation sells extensions, too. I had a canvas shop make the side tarp. Anyone could do it. They use the stuff semi trailer tarps are made of. Grommets are spaced to your crossmembers on the canopy frame. Same on the bottom. I just leave the rope on the lift and rehang it every season.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2013 at 11:24pm
Plenty of room. I have a 1st gen FCT.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 3:35pm
thanks, Slayer. love that paint scheme. any reason you elected not to have the canvas extension go around the transom and swim step as well?

thanks for the additional pic as well!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 7:58pm
I wanted to drive in and drive out without a garage door. I couldn't at the time come up with a good way to anchor the bottom to keep it from hitting or rubbing the boat on a windy day. It was more for a decent amount of rain protection, and the road a few hundred feet in front was dirt at the time, and I didn't want to rinse the boat off every time I went to use it. I have seen the bigger, full sized, four-sided canopies, and while cool, are huge, and for myself, unnecessary.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 8:06pm
Thank you, Slayer. looking forward to setting this up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2013 at 3:54pm
Jack,

So, my boat, sitting on the trailer is approxiamtely 9'8" high. I have the 1st gen tower.   The measurement I took on my lift is from the highest point of the basket, cranked all the way down, to the lowest end point on the canopy frame is 11 feet, give or take and couple inches. My legs are extended about a foot, to give you a lake bottom reference. Normally, it is cranked up as high as it will go. I have never hit the top.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you want any other measurements, or pics.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic