Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
GrayBeardSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???
    Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:20pm
Has anyone seen a Ski Nautique (other than mine) with Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique on the side? I'm trying to validate a story I've been told about the boat and am hoping someone with a knowledge of Ski Nautique history can help.
Joel Heinke
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:34pm
Oh my goodness I almost had a heart attack. I thought I was going to see a Stars and Stripes Nautique that looked like a Mastercraft!

And no I've never seen another.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:48pm
Beautiful boat Joel! If anyone could verify the boat left the factory like that, it would be Art Cozier. He comes on here sometimes, hopefully he sees this thread and can look at it for you.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:48pm
Welcome to the site! That is a beautiful boat and trailer. Look up Art Cozier in the membership section and send him an email. If anyone knows, he will. That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.

The way I read it- He maybe got it built by someone that maybe built it as close to CC Specs as possible. Wouldn't an OE Trailer be short at the transom? When did CC start getting the trailers built to the same length as the boats?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:03pm
Bow stop, guide poles, frame rails (extended), and something about the crossmembers around the fenders... all different from a real CC trailer. The shape is close enough that the original may have been modified though... tough to be sure.

The Lowboys (#2 and #3 flavors) had frame rails that extended all the way to the transom (and had prop guards added) but this doesnt appear to be one, at least to my eye. I dont think Ive seen one that preceded the square fender style ('77, I believe). The delux trailers from the mid 80's forward incorporated those details as well.

On the boat, I see enough details to make me wonder if the boat is original... graphics are the correct shape, but the wrong size (smaller than the "normal" graphics but larger than the "small" graphics that came on some '75's). The flames around the scoops are a little weird, Im skeptical that those are original. The observers seat appears to be the factory heat stamped pattern, and I cant remember seeing another interior like it in white before. The red top motorbox and dash are unique... are those painted? Gel?

The platform isnt original ('78 was the first year it was offered) so the fact that it appears to be period correct, bracket angles and all, makes me wonder if most of the modifications were done by a discerning previous owner when the boat wasnt all that old.

I wonder what Art will say.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.

The way I read it- He maybe got it built by someone that maybe built it as close to CC Specs as possible. Wouldn't an OE Trailer be short at the transom? When did CC start getting the trailers built to the same length as the boats?

That makes sense. And at a closer look, like Tim says some of the equipment doesn't look right.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:17pm
Reading between the lines, the trailer likely came to the current owner with a "Home Made" registration or title. Thats pretty common on older trailers, even true Correct Craft ones. CC was putting the VIN numbers on an easily faded/removed/painted over sticker in the mid-late 70's, so a lot of trailers ended up re-stamped by the state. A closer look at the frame and crossmembers would be the best way to determine if its a modified original or a from-scratch home made job.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 10:51pm
I sure hope Art picks up this thread and can comment. At this point, I feel there are just too many differences to make it a factory boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I sure hope Art picks up this thread and can comment. At this point, I feel there are just too many differences to make it a factory boat.

+1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:42pm
I think it would be best to write him in care of the factory.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:50pm
Joel,
Post some pics of it here in the forums. We can see a bit more detail than the small diary pics.

What do you know of her history? How long you owned it?

Definately has some weird stuff going on.... nice looking!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:54pm
Is it paint or decal? That would answer the question of originality. I don't think anybody had a vinyl cutter in '75.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:54pm
You guys are good at picking up small details. :-)

The red covering on dash and engine cover is red carpet. Same carpet as on floor but with vinyl trim sewn on the edges. The red covering on front air scoop and rear air exhausts is a red vinyl like was used for vinyl car roofs in the '70s.

So I can confirm that the swim platform is not a factory piece and was added by first owner. It's still the same teak wood as first added back in the '70s but the brackets were changed a few years ago. The brackets were a hard black plastic with dolphins molded into them. The plastic cracked after about 30 years and I replaced them with period correct aluminum brackets.

I'll have to re-check on the trailer paperwork to see if there's any additional clues on it's origin. It was definitely welded together with a stick welder and looks homemade.
Joel Heinke
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:18am
Just post some more pics of the trailer frame, especially of the crossmembers in the axle and fender area. We'll be able to tell if its a cc or not... I don't think they were known for their quality welding work back then so that's not much of a clue

Who put the carpet on the Motorbox and dash?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:32am
A question was asked the stars and stripes lettering was vinyl or painted. The answer is both. Here's a larger picture of the lettering:

The base of the letters appears to be vinyl and is colored gold. That gold gives the letters a shadow. The red, white, blue, and stars are painted on top of the gold.

I only have first hand knowledge of the boat history going back about 15 years. I am the boat's caretaker and not the actual owner that's had the boat since it was just a little over a year old. I'll have to reach out to Jerry and double check the story. My recollection is that he told me the stars and stripes came from the factory.

As to the trailer. Here's a picture that shows more detail:

The CA title designates it as "SPCNS" and ID starts with "CAL...". This tells me CA DMV titled it as if it were homemade and issued the ID number. Like others have said, it still maybe a factory trailer but this and the construction technique is why I have always thought it was homemade. I replaced the trailer axle about 5 years ago to get standard trailer hubs and bearings. The old axle had odd ball bearings, poor seals and I couldn't fit up the spring loaded grease caps. So bearings kept getting water in them when the boat was launched.

I'm not sure what the trailer origin has to do with the stars and stripes question but I'm guessing it's like a puzzle where fitting up the pieces makes things come together.
Joel Heinke
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:50am
Something in the script of the SkiNautique doesnt look right. The letters look kinda "fat" and scrunched together. The "S" is pretty much touching the "k". I dont think they are that way in the other 73 -75's. The lettering is pretty pristine for being almost 40 years old.

Also the blue stripe is faded and lighter than the blue in the lettering. I'm guessing that the "Ski Nautique" has been replaced somewhere along the line.

Would be interested in seeing what Art says?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:14pm
Steve, note the size difference. Its smaller than the "normal" lettering:

...and larger than the "small" lettering that CC used on a handful of '75's:

I agree that the presence of vinyl in the graphics, as well as the different shades of blue, probably means this wasnt a factory job.

Upon closure inspection of the above boat, the Lowboy may have been around prior to '77 after all. The drop axle on this "S&S" boat would most likely make it that style, if original... assuming the axle/spring setup was replaced with like parts.

The shape of that front crossmember doesnt look right to me though- the vee is too sharp. At this point Im leaning towards it not being a CC trailer. It could very well be a Mastercraft trailer from the mid 70's though- they were very similar, but not the same. Maybe Donald or Pete could snap a pic of theirs to confirm.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:31pm
It'll be interesting to see what Art says if he picks up on the thread. There was a lot of Bi Centenial editions of about everything back in 75 and 76. Even beer. Anyone remember Falstaff Bi Centenial Salutes?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:36pm

There was a lot of Bi Centenial editions of about everything back in 75 and 76. Even beer.

You CCFans and your love of Beer and Boats...not necessarily in that order.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:51pm
That order is correct, Tim.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:29pm
The only thing "original" I can see on the boat is the faded red vinyl on the air vents.

The 50th Anniversary is only an assumption made by '75 owners.

The true or real Anniversary wasn't until 1981, aka 20th Anniversary.

The Airguides and the Motor Box Hinges are newer than 1975.

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool ski boat.

I too have witnessed a documented bogus story in a 3-ring binder.   After careful examination, it was concluded the story was invented by the third owner.

I would contact the Santa Clara County Ski Club for old photos.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:47pm
Did someone say BEER???
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:51pm
The logo looks more like a logo from 1977+.

In 1975 the letters were more straight, look at the N, there's no ripple effect, that starts to happen in 1977.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:07pm
This boat is cool, but it's not original.. Well unless it came from the Cypress Gardens custom chop shop..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

The logo looks more like a logo from 1977+.

In 1975 the letters were more straight, look at the N, there's no ripple effect, that starts to happen in 1977.

Huh? You better go back and look at the brochures. I dont believe the graphics changed shape from '73-79 (except for dropping the dash in '74).
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:12pm
Cool Boat for sure!!

Would question the use of flames as a Correct Craft design cue or offering on anything thru the mid 2000's model years.

It would not surprise me if CC did some other 1 (or 2) off stuff like this.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:16pm
The letters were the same or relatively close from '73 thru '79 with the exception of the half scale version.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:29pm
My '74 has a dash.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

My '74 has a dash.

Between the Ski and Nautique like in the '73 brochure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic